spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cvt

@jillyred.net

Simple way to remote control outdoor lights?

I'm looking for a simple way to remote control my outdoor lights. Ideally just something like a remote control that could go in the car or on a key chain: press a button and turn on the lights. There's an outdoor lamp post and two wall mounted fixtures by the front door, all three operate via one light switch and it appears to be the same wire powering all 3. I've thought about timers or sensors but, the times are variable and they don't need to be on all night.

I saw this Lift master remote »www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···Id=10053 at home depot which seems to do what I'm looking for. I was wondering if anyone has experience with other other brands or products that would be better? I've never done any "home automation" so I'm not sure where the good stuff is.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

Reviews on it are good.
Price is right.
It does what you want.

That's the simplest solution to your needs.

Just be aware that it cannot do more than 300W, so you won't get to control halogen flood lights with it.

A remote control would always need your input, like a wall switch, but it's more portable around the house.

Read about timer controls. They might actually be able to do what you want. They can actually know when is dusk and dawn at any time of the year when you program your longitude and latitude into them. They can also be told to turn off the lights after a certain time, so they'd turn off after bed time, for example.

cvt

@jillyred.net

Yea the 300w limit is what's holding me back from just buying this. There's also an outdoor receptacle on the same line (and controlled by the switch.) I don't really use it now and the bulbs are 2x100w and 1x60w. It doesn't really leave room for future expansion or using much of anything on that receptacle in the future.

I've thought about the timers but the main purpose is so I can turn on the lights as I leave the house and then turn them off from the car. A couple days a week I have to leave for work before the sun comes up. Other days I come home well after dark, and the days change each week. With a timer or sensor there would be a bunch of reprogramming or having to turn off the sensor on some days. That's why I'm looking for an on demand solution like the remote.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

said by cvt :

It doesn't really leave room for future expansion or using much of anything on that receptacle in the future.

The future is LED. So I wouldn't worry too much if you really don't use the receptacle.

said by cvt :

A couple days a week I have to leave for work before the sun comes up. Other days I come home well after dark, and the days change each week.

They are outdoor lights. They aren't there for you to enjoy. They are there for security reasons (mostly). It's better that they are on when it's dark and you're not home, if you know what I mean.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to cvt

said by cvt :

Yea the 300w limit is what's holding me back from just buying this. There's also an outdoor receptacle on the same line (and controlled by the switch.) I don't really use it now and the bulbs are 2x100w and 1x60w. It doesn't really leave room for future expansion or using much of anything on that receptacle in the future.

I've thought about the timers but the main purpose is so I can turn on the lights as I leave the house and then turn them off from the car. A couple days a week I have to leave for work before the sun comes up. Other days I come home well after dark, and the days change each week. With a timer or sensor there would be a bunch of reprogramming or having to turn off the sensor on some days. That's why I'm looking for an on demand solution like the remote.

If you can switch all those light to CFL's it will give you a lot of overhead.

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40
reply to cvt

said by cvt :

I've thought about timers or sensors but, the times are variable and they don't need to be on all night.

Maybe it's just a matter of finding the right timer. I recently installed »www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Econosw···e+switch to time all of my outdoor lights - you can set up 7 different on/off times, so this may give you exactly what you're looking for. I took out all of the photocell inserts from my lights because the light near my front door is in the shade most of the time - with this timer, I set the lights to come on 20 minutes before sunset and go off again just after sunrise.

There are cheaper ones as well if you don't need year-round sunrise/sunset adjustments, etc. If you do end up going with this, be sure your box has a neutral wire - the timer won't work otherwise.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

1 recommendation

reply to cvt

Whatever type of remote control you purchase make sure it does not state on the controller housing incandescent only. Intermatic makes two types of timers one uses a triac and can be used with incandescent lamps only, the other uses a relay and can be used with any type load.