share rss forum feed

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to coaxguy

Re: [TV] Possible to use DCT6416/2000 from Shaw BC on Cogeco Ont

said by coaxguy:

Well I stand from personal experience, and if it can be activated then AWESOME. More power to you to keep money out of Cogecos hands.

Like I said im a FORMER installer and never been prouder to give my cash to Start for my inet and Shaw for my Satellite. Speaking from experience, I have NEVER been able to get the activation department to active a non Cogeco oriented receiver.

The tech routing and install program I used, if I put in a number that hasnt been scanned into the Cogeco system, it would say.... "BOX NOT FOUND IN INVENTORY".

At which point I would call in. Giving the activations agent the serial and unit address UA, they would look it up, and if they could not find it in any corp (area), they would not be able to assign the box billing codes (2 letter acronyms to enable or disable channels ie. +AE).

Also like I said above. I bought a DCX off a friend who moved to Niagara from Owen Sound and went with Bell here. I tried to activate it, as I said above. Would not work.

Why dont you give the activations department a call to get the final result.

1-800-267-9000, I will PM you the silent prompt to get right through with tech priority.

Ahh digital activations....they were always a "unique bunch"....There's probably still a DCT2000 in Hamilton that I had activated...I actually went back to Mountain cable and was able to swap out my box that had a different OOB (who knows why Cogeco and Mountain at the time used different OOB's, Mountain used 75.25mhz at the time and Cogeco used 72.75...anywho) as the big joke was I was across the street from a Cogeco area and I worked for the company....

Here's the magic, they would need to ADD the Serial # and UA into the DAC....as of 2005 they were still doing it when I left...again with some difficulty sometimes as there were boxes who's OOBs just wouldn't catch for whatever reason...maybe they were fried or something, but boxes did get activated.

I guess they updated the system to allow activations online now...I guess its also how you can "send a hit to your box through the internet request" now as well I saw recently....

But they can do it...drop the UA and GI/M# in....

Then add the digital box # (GI# or M#, or PACE box #) onto the outlet with the rate codes and poof, you get the autho's onto the box....the guide is even an autho code...which I thought was kinda funny....wow, it came back to me for a second there...

Make sure the corp # is correct...ah...memories....

Anywho, it is possible, if you're persistent enough they can add your box in....I'm not guaranteeing that it'll work, but just because its not in Cogeco's inventory doesn't mean they can't activate it.

Good luck!

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·Start Communicat..

said by nitzguy:

said by coaxguy:

Well I stand from personal experience, and if it can be activated then AWESOME. More power to you to keep money out of Cogecos hands.

Like I said im a FORMER installer and never been prouder to give my cash to Start for my inet and Shaw for my Satellite. Speaking from experience, I have NEVER been able to get the activation department to active a non Cogeco oriented receiver.

The tech routing and install program I used, if I put in a number that hasnt been scanned into the Cogeco system, it would say.... "BOX NOT FOUND IN INVENTORY".

At which point I would call in. Giving the activations agent the serial and unit address UA, they would look it up, and if they could not find it in any corp (area), they would not be able to assign the box billing codes (2 letter acronyms to enable or disable channels ie. +AE).

Also like I said above. I bought a DCX off a friend who moved to Niagara from Owen Sound and went with Bell here. I tried to activate it, as I said above. Would not work.

Why dont you give the activations department a call to get the final result.

1-800-267-9000, I will PM you the silent prompt to get right through with tech priority.

Ahh digital activations....they were always a "unique bunch"....There's probably still a DCT2000 in Hamilton that I had activated...I actually went back to Mountain cable and was able to swap out my box that had a different OOB (who knows why Cogeco and Mountain at the time used different OOB's, Mountain used 75.25mhz at the time and Cogeco used 72.75...anywho) as the big joke was I was across the street from a Cogeco area and I worked for the company....

Here's the magic, they would need to ADD the Serial # and UA into the DAC....as of 2005 they were still doing it when I left...again with some difficulty sometimes as there were boxes who's OOBs just wouldn't catch for whatever reason...maybe they were fried or something, but boxes did get activated.

I guess they updated the system to allow activations online now...I guess its also how you can "send a hit to your box through the internet request" now as well I saw recently....

But they can do it...drop the UA and GI/M# in....

Then add the digital box # (GI# or M#, or PACE box #) onto the outlet with the rate codes and poof, you get the autho's onto the box....the guide is even an autho code...which I thought was kinda funny....wow, it came back to me for a second there...

Make sure the corp # is correct...ah...memories....

Anywho, it is possible, if you're persistent enough they can add your box in....I'm not guaranteeing that it'll work, but just because its not in Cogeco's inventory doesn't mean they can't activate it.

Good luck!

Really interesting info.

Like I said, I stand corrected if that's the case. I hope the TC can get it on there. But as I explained, I've tried many times and have not been able to put it through. But I guess as you discovered, when there's a will, there's a way

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to nitzguy

said by nitzguy:

again with some difficulty sometimes as there were boxes who's OOBs just wouldn't catch for whatever reason...maybe they were fried or something, but boxes did get activated.

There was a guy here maybe six months to a year ago who had that exact issue. Box was on the system, activated but it wouldn't work. One of the Cogeco guys who post here said exactly that - the OOB was fried.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

said by Gone:

said by nitzguy:

again with some difficulty sometimes as there were boxes who's OOBs just wouldn't catch for whatever reason...maybe they were fried or something, but boxes did get activated.

There was a guy here maybe six months to a year ago who had that exact issue. Box was on the system, activated but it wouldn't work. One of the Cogeco guys who post here said exactly that - the OOB was fried.

...Well, after I learned that you can break the leads on the Cable in connector on the digital box, I figured anything was possible....I went to screw on the connector and it just kept turning and turning....I guess that got by quality control when it came back into stock . It was a rental so it wasn't a big deal to get it swapped out....with the "built in handle"...loopback...

So yeah, boxes do fry, they work and then they don't work...but...yes, perserverance and I don't know why they wouldn't want to do it....it costs them nothing to put the box on, and nothing in terms of support as you put the ole "Purchased" flag on the box when it gets added into the system...

It literally takes about 5 minutes...add outlet, add rate codes, boom....and again if it doesn't work, no harm no foul, at least you can say you tried and provide some good will to the customer...then they'll say "Well hey at least they tried something...and if it didn't work, well it was a Shaw box...."....

Then the customer doesn't think "Wow, Cogeco trying to screw me again, where's that Shaw Direct or Bell TV/Expressvu Flyer?"...sometimes again its hard for some people to see the forest through the trees...if you don't give customers a reason to look elsewhere...typically they won't look elsewhere...You'll get churn no matter what, but the vast majority of subs, stay subs because Cogeco was there, not in that perhaps they resolved their issues to their 100% satisfaction be it call in wait times, or other issues, but that they lend an ear and hear the customer out and do whatever they can in their power to help....customers I'm sure know that Cogeco isn't a god and that they're trying to add channels and add capacity for internet services, etc, but it all takes times and resources and whatnot...anywho....enough of my rant lol.

Good luck to the OP.

sofawall

@cgocable.net

Typically if you mention you have a DCT and it's one of the models they officially support, they'll take down the serial number and try to add it. If that doesn't work, they ask for the UA number and transfer you to activations. If that doesn't work, well, you're probably out of luck. I mean, there probably is a way to get it to work, but considering the fact that Cogeco's resources for the engineers and IT guys are already very limited (see: Webmail outages) I don't think you'll be getting a higher-up guy to fix it for you.