Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to ruddypict

Premium Member

to ruddypict

Re: BB10 launches Jan 30

said by ruddypict:

Platform-specific communication is just silly. Especially when you aren't even the market leader.

Services like Skype blow this away.

I kind of doubt that a third party app will 'blow away' an integrated function using something as stable as BBM.

Besides, this can be a very big deal to corporations as they can make quite a saving by removing long distance calls when sending someone out of the city or country.

@BigSensFan Yup, people have already been testing BB10 on their Playbooks... but the results aren't good right now as it's alpha and is very unstable so far on the PB.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by ekster:

I kind of doubt that a third party app will 'blow away' an integrated function using something as stable as BBM.

That's it right there. Many people read these stories but they have no idea how well BBM functions and how reliably it behaves. I can communicate realtime with a friend in a foreign country overseas and if she wants to snap me a picture of whatever she's looking at, it's as simple as hitting a button and there it is.

Of course BBM sounds like texting but for people that know better, that know that texts can end up in the ether, it has receipt of delivery and acknowledgement that a message was read.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

Of course BBM sounds like texting but for people that know better, that know that texts can end up in the ether, it has receipt of delivery and acknowledgement that a message was read.

Apple's iMessage has receipts and acknowledgements and works between all iDevices and Macs too. The only issue I have with things like BBM, iMessage and Facetime is that they don't interact with other platforms. Limits their usefulness IMO.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by Riamen:

Apple's iMessage has receipts and acknowledgements and works between all iDevices and Macs too. The only issue I have with things like BBM, iMessage and Facetime is that they don't interact with other platforms. Limits their usefulness IMO.

Yea, I agree, and then you have cludgy applications like whatsapp that attempt to unify these devices and that leads to its own kind of issues with overhead...

ruddypict
join:2010-03-24

ruddypict to ekster

to ekster
said by ekster:

said by ruddypict:

Platform-specific communication is just silly. Especially when you aren't even the market leader.

Services like Skype blow this away.

Just because BBM is stable, doesn't automatically translate that their communication service is going to be stable. This is a non-sequitor until its actually proven to be stable.
said by ekster:

Besides, this can be a very big deal to corporations as they can make quite a saving by removing long distance calls when sending someone out of the city or country.

If long distance is a concern to corporations, they use VOIP. You can have it on a landline and a cellular phone. And when you send people out of the city, did you know that there's no WiFi out in the country? No wifi = no free calls.

And as for consumers, they are more concerned about a communication device that lets them talk to people they know. That's why craptastic messaging like SMS beats things like BBM hands down in the consumer world.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by ruddypict:

If long distance is a concern to corporations, they use VOIP. You can have it on a landline and a cellular phone. And when you send people out of the city, did you know that there's no WiFi out in the country? No wifi = no free calls.

Hah. It's kind of like you're applying your awareness of a technology to the real world, where you have this idea that companies use all these technologies that young technology savvy folks use in their home.

It would be more accurate if you'd written, "if long distance is a concern to corporations, they could try to use VoIP."

It was the next big thing in the mid-2000's that never went anywhere.

Avaya has 1/3 of the market share in North America and their VoIP connecting products were buggy to at least 2010 and what with that big recession we had, not so many companies wanted to replace all sorts of telephony equipment for an idea.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

I imagine a some point VoIP will be the long distance method. It's cheaper for everyone. Technology simply has to catch up..especially the upstream portion of it. I imagine in 10 years, calling a cell phone in Europe will be 1 cent a minute, if calling from a cell phone of VoIP. (unlike the 20 cent PLUS they charge today). Carrier (in Europe) will make money on the data usage as opposed to the caller paid method they use now.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

It'll happen naturally once the telecomunications industry offers these features intuitively in a competative nature on the devices and in their services. The speed of that will overtake the speed of corporate America trying to get these technologies working in their companies. Now that we have all the major phones with the ability to communicate over data to other people of similar phones, in a few years I'd expect that we'll have a default cross platform direct communications method (without the need for 'apps' or proprietary software).

ruddypict

ruddypict to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Hah. It's kind of like you're applying your awareness of a technology to the real world, where you have this idea that companies use all these technologies that young technology savvy folks use in their home.

Actually I was saying that people are more likely to use VOIP than they would use a proprietary protocol that does a similar thing (but only works on BB).
said by urbanriot:

It would be more accurate if you'd written, "if long distance is a concern to corporations, they could try to use VoIP."

I could have spelled it out a bit more for people unable to follow a message thread. So let me be clear: Corporations worried about long distance charges will use VOIP a lot more than they would a proprietary protocol on a niche product (esp when both ends need that niche product). I hope this helps.
said by urbanriot:

It was the next big thing in the mid-2000's that never went anywhere.

Avaya has 1/3 of the market share in North America and their VoIP connecting products were buggy to at least 2010 and what with that big recession we had, not so many companies wanted to replace all sorts of telephony equipment for an idea.

I think you might be surprised at how many larger entities are moving to VOIP, including the government. Be happy to discuss further in PM or in another thread (so we don't derail this one).

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by ruddypict:

I could have spelled it out a bit more for people unable to follow a message thread.

Or you could have just written something that was true. You wrote "If long distance is a concern to corporations, they use VOIP" - that is not true. Instead they send out a memo concerning long distance and start randomly auditing lengthy calls.

ruddypict

ruddypict

Ah I see, you're just trolling again. Have a good day.