uniqs

Paul416
Premium Member
join:2003-07-25
Brampton, ON

Paul416

Premium Member

[Cable] Need your advise please

Hi ... At the moment I'm with Rogers for my internet but I am thinking to switch to TelSavvy . Can you tell what I need to know and must have beforehand ? At the moment I have a Molorola Modem SB5100 and I have a new laptop with Windows 8 pro . I don't have any phone services , so it has to be cable . TIA

TSILiz
Premium Member
join:2012-08-20

TSILiz

Premium Member

Hi There,

To confirm we can provide the service please send us message in the Direct Forum with your address and I'll qualify it for you. Unfortunately that modem is not on our list of approved modems and it would not successfully provision over to our services. There would be a one time activation fee of $65 (-$20 if modem purchased) and the purchase of a modem that is on our approved list.

You would get a cancellation date from Rogers, and then we would set up a transfer for that date. No technician would be required.

Paul416
Premium Member
Brampton, ON

Paul416

Premium Member

No offense but I really don't want to add my address anywhere in any forum site security reason alone but I did go onto TeKSavvy website to see for services in my area and it was ok with the 28Mbps plan . I don't care what I have to buy I'm curious to exactly everything I will need to be up and running , plus taxes to

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

We understand you not wanting to put your information online, so as an alternative, you can do so by emailing us at support@teksavvy.com

Martin

Paul416
Premium Member
Brampton, ON

Paul416

Premium Member

ok , just did . It wouldn't be to hard find out who I am .
Paul416

Paul416 to JenSuisUn

Premium Member

to JenSuisUn
Another question I would like to ask does TekSavvy have newer modems which do not have wifi capability whether there a switch to turn wifi off and on . I do not want a Modem with wifi at all ? Thx

TSI Support1
TSI Support
Premium Member
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

TSI Support1

Premium Member

None of the cable modems we sell have any WiFi capability. They just have one Ethernet port on them.

Regards,
TSI Rizwaan

Paul416
Premium Member
Brampton, ON

Paul416

Premium Member

This sounds really good for me . By chance is there a list of Routers you or TekSavvy recommend with that modem above ?

TSI Support1
TSI Support
Premium Member
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

TSI Support1

Premium Member

Which modem above?

There aren't any specific routers TekSavvy recommends.

I had a Linksys WRT54GS running strong for 6 years until it died. I replaced it with an Asus RT-N16 for it being the "DD-WRT" router of choice. This has been running great for nearly 2 years now. So far, I haven't heard of any sort of incompatibility issues with routers and cable modems. I can only give my endorsement off personal experience.

Regards,
TSI Rizwaan

Paul416
Premium Member
Brampton, ON

Paul416

Premium Member

Yeah, you're right my mistake it was the email I send to them about the modem . This is really good news . I need to wait until the 12 of the month to give Rogers my 30 days notice ... Thanks

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to Paul416

Premium Member

to Paul416
said by Paul416:

This sounds really good for me . By chance is there a list of Routers you or TekSavvy recommend with that modem above ?

Just make sure whatever router you end up getting will do what you need. If you plan to use 3rd party firmware do your homework before you buy a unit.

Other things to take into consideration
- Processor
- Flash capacity (the larger the better)
- RAM
- Gigabit ports
- DLNA
- USB ports

Toodle over to SmallNetBuilder and get yourself up to speed on whats out there in the market in terms of routers. Also visit any 3rd party firmware sites and read a few threads about capabliites and limitations certain builds may or may not have; you might find something that'll work for your larger picture, especially if you're doing HTPC streaming and the like.

Asus RT-Nxx family
Netgear Rangemax family
MikroTik

lots of choices.

In adittion, you might also pick up a few of the cheaper N300 class ones at refurbishes/open boxes, and such for cheap (some under $20),to experiment with and learn how to flash, and unbrick 3rd party firmware with before you go ahead and try the same on your more expensive upperdeck N900+ routers.

Self education is the name of the game.

Paul416
Premium Member
Brampton, ON

Paul416

Premium Member

Thank you for this and I will take a view at that website , thx