spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tuladrin

@idv.net

need new computer looking for suggestions

Old rig is getting blue screen of death and lagging big time (killing our raid progression as attanument lags wipe me out). Looking at a cyberpower PC, what are the minimum requirements for a decent gaming machine. (wife has me on a tight budget)

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
»PC gaming Tech

Here we can help you

cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it

join:2010-08-17
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Tul talk to lich, he builds comps. He built his current gaming rig for right arround 800-1000

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to tuladrin
You can post here what your budget is, and what other games you are playing (if any).

Do you have keyboard, mouse, monitor, or do you need those as well? Do you have an OS, or would you need that too?

What is your current rig, and what are its specs? Are you looking to run on ultra? At what resolution?

Let us know, and we can help you out.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
reply to tuladrin
Since you have an existing computer, and assuming no plans to repurpose it, you can possibly do this very cheaply. Which should help with the tight budget syndrome. You could reuse the keyboard, mouse, monitor and probably the case too, at the very least. Assuming your BSOD isn't caused by a failing PSU or HDD, you could even retain those but ~$100 should replace those so it's cheap insurance to know the BSOD won't follow to your new computer.

Assuming you're comfortable building your own computer anyway, here is what I would suggest: Retain case, KB/Mouse, Monitor, Optical Drive. Replace Motherboard, CPU, PSU, GPU, RAM, HDD. Just glancing at prices on Newegg, you could get those replacement parts for about $600 and have a decent computer. This would be with a 6870 or similar GPU and midrange Ivy Bridge i5 CPU. It'd run WoW on Ultra for sure (mine does) and would run many other games as well (maybe not on Ultra).

If you can confirm a budget and whether you want to reuse any parts, I could get you links to each and every item and an actual cost. I can tell you for certain items such as case, KB/Mouse and even monitor, I prefer to let YOU pick those. You're the one that has to look at it and/or touch them every day so they're really a personal preference. I could give you suggestions but what I like may not be what you like. Ideally, you could retain those from the current computer but if you can't just plan to generally pick those out yourself.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
reply to tuladrin
My first advice is if you want to buy a CyberPowerPC, don't look up the reviews online or you'll have serious second thoughts like I did. I ended up buying the below iBuypowerpc (same as PowerPC) from Tiger Direct along with a 2 year SquareTrade warranty (just in case the reviews were true) and so far the computer has been nothing short of perfect. I've only had it for about two weeks now so I can't say it's truly tried and proven, but it boots up in about 5 seconds, is amazingly fast, and supports my now 3 monitor display (My wife should have put me on a budget) with the GTX 660 card. I spent a few days researching and I think this is about the best setup you can find for the money (~$1,100). If anything it is probably a bit overkill.

iBUYPOWER EXTREME TG921SLC Gaming PC - 3rd Gen. Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, Blu-Ray Player/DVDRW, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, Windows 8 64-Bit, Keyboard & Mouse

And if there is any money left in your budget afterwards, I strongly encourage looking into the Obutto gaming setups. I didn't have a desk/chair to use with the new computer so I went with Ozone gaming cockpit. It shipped this week and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
said by Carpie:

I ended up buying the below iBuypowerpc (same as PowerPC) from Tiger Direct

Ewww.

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
reply to tuladrin
Old rig details would be helpful and what you plan to re-use. You can buy a prebuilt system that would run for ~$600 depending what you can/want to re-use.

Rhenai

join:2010-09-07
Elkhorn, NE
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by Carpie:

Ewww.

Agree. My computer was built by ordering all parts from Tiger Direct. Fan was bad from the get-go, video card went bad in less than 30 days, replacement card is bad now, too. Won't go that road again.
--
“Amor Fati – “Love Your Fate”, which is in fact your life.”

Carpie

united state
I knew I was taking a risk when I read all the bad reviews on the mfg and their horrible customer support. That's why I bought the 2 year warranty. I figure if something is going to go bad, it will happen within the first year (they didn't have a one year option) and SquareTrade will replace any component that fails and send people onsite to replace/repair/troubleshoot. The warranty was about $130 (which I figured could get eaten up in one bad component having to be replaced) so hopefully I have my risk covered. Reviews on SquareTrade have all been extremely positive BTW. I'm still holding out hope that I never have to use them to find out though so don't be jinxing me.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by Carpie:

Ewww.

This, why not buy from ibuypower directly, you get better customization options or you can go with and MSI GTX since they use the same parts.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Carpie

united state
Because all the bad reviews I read were directed at ibuypower directly and their (lack of) customer support. I wanted Tiger Direct in the middle to choke their throat if anything went wrong pre-shipment and SquareTrade for anything post-shipment. If ibuypower does have bad support (personnel issues), then let one of those two deal with them as they'll have considerable more leverage than just a one-off consumer. Plus SquareTrade will make things good with me right away and then take up their issues with ibuypower. This gets me back to Azeroth asap and avoids any wasted time/stress on my part.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
join:2003-12-10
Troy, OH
kudos:2
TigerDirect just closed a facility in Fletcher OH . They walked in last week and divided the employees in 3 groups . Told Group A they were safe , sales group who is the #1 sales group in the organization. Told Group B - they were closing the plant - mostly the system engineers and sales support staff. Told Group C - tomorrow was their last day , these were all the production / warehouse workers.

Nice holiday season present for those folks. I think I would have to think long and hard before buying from them.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Carpie
said by Carpie:

Because all the bad reviews I read were directed at ibuypower directly and their (lack of) customer support. I wanted Tiger Direct in the middle to choke their throat if anything went wrong pre-shipment and SquareTrade for anything post-shipment. If ibuypower does have bad support (personnel issues), then let one of those two deal with them as they'll have considerable more leverage than just a one-off consumer. Plus SquareTrade will make things good with me right away and then take up their issues with ibuypower. This gets me back to Azeroth asap and avoids any wasted time/stress on my part.

Tiger Direct doesn't care.

iBuyPower has been fantastic to me with my laptop.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

tuladrin

@idv.net
reply to tuladrin
thxs for good advice, sad thing is I have know idea what specs of old system. (I bought it 4 years ago during a black friday) started wow in the middle of wrath, so I bought a $60 video card, cant rember which, and this took me to being able to do heroic deathwing on 10 man. LFR 25 will freeze a little with recount on so I just do 10 mans. Never had gaming rig, and not computer savy. (Teach math so Im number savy and do great with min maxing algorythms). The old rig will probably sit on shelf with old family pics and tax returns on it and might just pull out old video card and put into new system. Will use all other parts from old one, monitor, printer, mouse etc)

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
Build your own. If you can put together Legos you can build your own PC!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to tuladrin
You most definitely DON'T want to use a $60 video card in the new system, it will bottleneck the crap out of it.

What is your budget?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to I AM
said by I AM:

If you can put together Legos you can build your own PC!

Sounds oddly familiar.

cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it

Houma, LA
I just got a 6850 and it humms like a champ.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
A 6850 is a far cry from a $60 GPU.

Nowdays, the iGPUs of the Ivy Bridge CPUs are more powerful than a $60 GPU.

cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it

Houma, LA
I know i paid 120 for my 6850

chaud
Serious Business

join:2004-07-09
Anderson, SC
reply to tuladrin
If anyone is still building, I put together a list of Black Friday sales.

»www.mmo-champion.com/threads/122···ay-Sales

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Wow, that's some great work you did there.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2
chaud does so much at mmo-champion, i'm surprised he has time to even post here.

Endbringer

join:2012-10-07
Fishers, IN
reply to tuladrin
alien laptop for the win!!...didnt want to try and piece on together and i was tired of the 16 FPS i was getting with my old computer...i now get about 60 FPS out in the world and about 110FPS in dungeons/raids

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

1 recommendation

MSI > Alienware

Endbringer

join:2012-10-07
Fishers, IN
reply to tuladrin
buy American Jobbie

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
»Help picking a laptop - refurbished?

Check this out
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Lothario

join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON
reply to Endbringer
Is anything made there anymore?

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

1 recommendation

reply to chaud