share rss forum feed

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Robotics

Re: Can No Longer Read CD's

Specifically are these DVD-R DVD+R DVD-RW or DVD+RW.

DVD (and CD) RW disk DO NOT last very long and slowly degrade.
Some of them even become corrupted in a year if they are exposed to sunlight or florescent lighting for long period of time.

CD-R's typically last the longest at about 5 to 10 years (high quality ones last longer) DVD-R's come next at about 3-7 years with high quality ones last longer.

As previously noted -RW especially CD-rw disks burned with propietary software such as Nero's incd (Easy cd creator etc,) or similar must have the original software available to read the disk.
Having the original disk drive is really helpful as well especially with older drives as some of them burned their own proprietary format not always supported by other drives (overburn etc.) Luckily, this is much less common these days.

Manufactured (not cd-r, cd-rw, dvd-r or dvd-rw) software, music, movie cd's and dvd's typically have life times double to triple that of home recordable media if they are not abused.

So the end question is what are these cd's and dvd's exactly and how long ago did you burn them?

If these are not backup burned in a proprietary format that is only readable by the software that wrote to them, and they are CLOSED session disks, and are R not RW and they were burned in the last 5 years you should be able to read them.

Note you CAN burn cd-rw and dvd-/+rw as if they are -r but the lifetime of the data burned to them is still the same. This is a major gotcha in some cases where the price for -rw and -r disks was the same or if you picked them up by accident and the price did not not make you twig that something was wrong.

I suspect the data is gone especially if it was 5+ years ago or you do not have AC or the disks were not stored in the basement. Sorry.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

I can't help but think all f them failed - it maybe something else.
But the quality of DVD/CD's I have no question over quality is worth it. Some cheap types you use half the pack to grab 1 clean burn. They should be shot.