uniqs
share rss forum feed

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

CINR creeping downward

I've had Clear 4G at my office for over 6 months and it works fine. I use the CLEAR Modem with Wi-Fi sitting on my desk shelf. I can see the Clear tower out my window less than 1 mile away.
I initially watched the RSSI and CINR values to get a feeling for what I should consider normal.
5 LEDs (very occasionally 4)
RSSI -66 -63 (-64 most typical)
CINR 22 25 (24 most typical)
For the past few days I've been seeing 4 LEDs more frequently. When I see 4 I've noticed the CINR is towards the low end of the normal range and occasionally even 21 on occasion.
So my question is is a CINR creeping downward indicative of anything I can take corrective action on?
I've tried realigning the modem and moving it about a bit but that usually just gets me 3 LEDs instead of the current 4.
I "believe" CINR equates to something like the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) and RSSI is like the Signal Strength?
I haven't tried an external antenna nor do I want to as I don't want to draw attention to the fact I have the device in the office.
Any insight as to what I might to do correct a doward creeping CINR would be appreciated other than realigning/moving the modem which I've already done.
Tnx,
J

xrayman

join:2008-12-09
Kansas City
kudos:1

Your CINR looks very good. When it gets down below 18 you could notice reduced speeds.

I found this info some years back on the Clear site:
"CINR stands for Carrier to Interference-plus-Noise Ratio (CINR), expressed in decibels (dBs). CINR is a measurement of signal effectiveness. We use the CINR score to tell us the signal strength received by the modem. The higher the number the better signal you are receiving. You need at minimum a CINR of 8 or greater to receive consistent service. A CINR score of 18 or higher is considered excellent signal strength.
RSSI stands for Received signal strength indicator RSSI is a measurement of the power present in a received radio signal. We use RSSI score to tell us if we are receiving interference in the signal. A RSSI score of -100 reflects a lot of interference in your signal, a score of -50 is an excellent RSSI score and reflects little to no interference present."

I would try an easy to make corner box reflector. Experiment for best location of the modem in front of the reflector.

»www.antennamagus.com/blog/wp-con···n-AM.png

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to JimThePCGuy

this can be caused by:
1) change in season / weather patterns.
2) a change at the tower
3) possibly connecting to a more distant tower
4) Clear overlaying LTE 4g in some markets / beta testing it
5) other inference source / blocking source such as adjacent office moved metal cabinets around.

If its not causing speed to tank 4 lights is still acceptable signal level. I have had two or three lights during bad storms and it has been usable. You DO want to put the modem back exactly the way you had it when it got five lights assuming nothing else has changed. The signal may come back up to 5 lights on its own . If this gets worse and starts going 2 or 3 lights AND weather is not the cause then there is likely a tower issue.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

Click for full size
Modem exposed
Click for full size
Modem in disguise
The corner reflector is interesting.
I have the modem "hidden in plain site" with a smaller cardboard box. I could line two of the boxes inside walls with foil but they would be quite close to the modem.
If you look at the attached photos the signal comes in from the right perpendicular to the modem.
The box is cut open on top and back to allow ample air circulation.
It is amazing how well this little disguise works.
My immediate co-workers knew I had the modem but when I asked them to guess where I keep it most of them did not guess it was in the box until I actually showed them.
J