All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« Usenet !
This is a sub-selection from Thottle me !

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26
reply to brianiscool

Re: Thottle me !

I want them to not only monitor my website visits, but block access to websites for me.

Then I want to move to China.

TexasRebel

join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX

kinda a stupid move by Verizon. what the hell else are you going to use the 50-100Mbps connections with?? The sole purpose for huge bandwidth packages is to stream video, and bit torrent like there's no tomorrow.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1

I will use my connection to host thousands of left 4 dead servers.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by brianiscool:

I will use my connection to host thousands of left 4 dead servers.

and your ISP will cut you off.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to aciddrink

said by aciddrink:

I want them to not only monitor my website visits, but block access to websites for me.

Nowhere does it say you will be premantly blocked from websites.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

Why would they? You're not going anything that's considered "piracy".

Premium
West Tenness

said by Simba7:

said by 88615298:

Once again my ISP Charter has rules against that in their TOS which have been in place for YEARS. In fact Charter has rules against copyright infringement for years that allow them to cut you off. Most ISPS have had these rules for years even before this deal with the MPAA and RIAA. There has been nothing stopping an ISP from cutting you off already.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

said by 88615298:

Once again my ISP Charter has rules against that in their TOS which have been in place for YEARS. In fact Charter has rules against copyright infringement for years that allow them to cut you off.

Running several L4D servers isn't piracy. *sigh*

Premium
West Tenness

said by Simba7:

said by 88615298:

Once again my ISP Charter has rules against that in their TOS which have been in place for YEARS. In fact Charter has rules against copyright infringement for years that allow them to cut you off.

I didn't say it was. sigh. reading is fundamental.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL
reply to 88615298

why should they care if a user runs a game server or not? it doesn't use much bandwidth and it is doubtful that it would have any impact on the service.

JTR

join:2012-05-19
Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by ArrayList:

why should they care if a user runs a game server or not? it doesn't use much bandwidth and it is doubtful that it would have any impact on the service.

It uses quite a bit of bandwidth, depending on the game of course, brings the risk of DDoS attacks, and can cause issues.

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298

It's called sarcasm. Basic human understanding is fundamental.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by Simba7:

said by 88615298:

Once again my ISP Charter has rules against that in their TOS which have been in place for YEARS. In fact Charter has rules against copyright infringement for years that allow them to cut you off. Most ISPS have had these rules for years even before this deal with the MPAA and RIAA. There has been nothing stopping an ISP from cutting you off already.

So what does that have to do with hosting game servers on Verizon? Last I knew Charter can only wish they were Verizon considering no one wanted to buy them.

Then again the person you were originally replying to is lying. Even Verizon's fastest tier cannot sustain "thousands" of game servers.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

rmdir

join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

reply to TexasRebel

Do it on December 21st, because there will be no tomorrow!

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL
reply to JTR

what game servers do you run? I run a very active tf2 server and it barely uses 50gb per month. That is not a lot of data.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1

I run 20 Left 4 Dead Servers

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by aciddrink:

Nowhere does it say you will be premantly blocked from websites.

said by Fernando Laguarda, Time Warner Cable’s Vice President of External Affairs :

, said his company will take a slightly different approach. The notification and acknowledgment phases are fairly similar, but instead of reducing connection speeds they will restrict users’ Internet browsing by directing them to a landing page.
Laguarda did not explain in detail for how long users will be restricted or what websites they will be able to reach, if any.

Sounds to me like TWC is gonna block you. And if I remember the original proposal for Six strikes it was to block you permanently.
--

JTR

join:2012-05-19
Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to ArrayList

said by ArrayList:

what game servers do you run? I run a very active tf2 server and it barely uses 50gb per month. That is not a lot of data.

I ran a somewhat active Minecraft server for a while, it used like 150-250GB per month of bandwidth.

I recently shut it down after nearly three months of daily DDoS attacks (reaching into the 4Gbit range at one point). I'm glad I didn't run it at home, it would have been 1000x worse to deal with.

Crusty

join:2008-11-11
Sanger, TX
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
·CenturyLink
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by Simba7:

said by 88615298:

I didn't say it was. sigh. reading is fundamental.

Yes, you implied it. Quit with your trolling.