Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
reply to Snakeoil

Re: Blizzard Admits Linux User Was Wrongly Banned, Offers Refund

said by Snakeoil:

quote:
Warden

Hmm, Pretty interesting Blizzard didn't slip Warden into WOW

1. Warden has been in WoW from the very, very beginning.
2. WoW before release had a native client for Linux, version 0.7 was the first "windows only" (Mac came later).
3. Warden looks for Wine and changes behavior to SUPPORT it, WineHQ has details.
4. Bans regarding Warden in Wine have happened before, frequently, and to date have 100% resulted in a refund, apology, and rumored leaked 'patches' for bugs in Wine.
5. Blizzard has had a "don't ask don't tell" type relationship with Linux and WoW since they removed the native linux client in version 0.7.
6. The strong major majority were playing WoW on Linux without issue during the "everyone is getting baned on Linux" FUD stories were running.

This is a story of impatience, not deception and untruths, and Wine being buggy.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
said by markofmayhem:

6. The strong major majority were playing WoW on Linux without issue during the "everyone is getting baned on Linux" FUD stories were running.

This is a story of impatience, not deception and untruths, and Wine being buggy.

This is what I needed to know. I'm planning on getting a new SSD this Friday (hopefully) and I'm going to put Linux on it. The only reason I'm not putting Windows on it is because of the ability to play WoW.

Thanks.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK