how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

Multiple monitor software for linux?

Got dual monitors on my linux box now, and I wondered if theres any good multiple monitor software for linux like how windows has stuff like actual multiple monitors(»www.actualtools.com/multiplemonitors/). I found shttp://synergy-foss.org/ but Im not sure if thats what I'm looking for. It talks about servers and using the network, bit my stuff is all on the same box.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

You want to look into randr which might be built in to your install.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to me1212

What version of Linux? What kind of results are you looking for with your multi-monitor setup?
Gnome2 and Unity both do pretty well with mutliple monitors as far as allowing the relevant bars to show up on all monitors.
This kind of things has to be supported by the DE you are using, not provided by a third-party application.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

Linux mint 13 64 bit, cinnamon. I'd really like the start button(or whatever mint calls it, never bothered to check what they call it yet) to be on both screens like my multi monitor software on windows does. Other than that anything else is just icing on the cake for me.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

I've never used Cinnamon, but my understanding is that it's just a spin of Gnome2.
With Gnome2 you can click on a panel and choose the option to create a new panel. Once your new panel is available on your second monitor you can then right-click it and begin adding new widgets. The "start" button is just a widget.