North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit
reply to pende_tim

Re: Checking R410a Charge on Heatpump in Cold Weather

said by pende_tim:

Yes it will be professionally serviced however the unit has never been serviced and I do not have experience with the company/person doing the work. Since it is now working, I don't want to see it's performance degraded through incompetence.

I wanted to learn 2 things from this thread:

1. Confirm if it can be correctly and accurately checked for proper charge during cold weather or if this time of year, it got a "lick and a promise" and just a close estimation of charge levels. If that were the case, I would have put off the service until hotter weather.

2. Find the procedure the tech would using to check the charge if it was even possible to accomplish.

If you have so little confidence in the company and tech that is trained and certified that will be doing the work that you would rely on information from this or any other forum that maybe or maybe not be accurate then IMO you need to get another company that will give you a higher trust level.

* Yes the charge can be checked. How do you think they install them year round hot or cold? My Trane was installed in February

** Unless there's a certified Carrier tech on here you won't get the Carrier recommended procedure.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
Hi Jack,
It is not that I don't trust the company, I just want to be an educated consumer and know what to expect and what is possible. Too much watching Holmes on Homes, I guess.

Tim
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

ncbill
Premium
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
Why do you think the charge needs to be checked?

It's a sealed system after all.

Unless you think your original installer screwed up, but I'd think that would cause problems sooner than 2 years.

said by pende_tim:

Hi Jack,
It is not that I don't trust the company, I just want to be an educated consumer and know what to expect and what is possible. Too much watching Holmes on Homes, I guess.

Tim