plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

[TWC] Question about Equipment Listed

Hello,

A friend of mine who lives in Wisconsin has Time Warner Cable. When they sign into their account, there is a section that lists what equipment they are renting. I have attached a picture of what they are seeing above.

The Cable Modem displayed does match the one they have. The MAC Address that is listed is correct, and does match what they have printed on the actual unit, and what is being reported by the modems status page. When you mouse over the image, it does also display the correct Model Number, which is DPC2100.

However, the Serial Number that is listed matches the MAC Address, and is not the actual serial number of the unit.

They are also renting a router from them as well, as they have the Home WiFi option which costs them $4.99 a month. The serial number that is being displayed appears to be a MAC Address (same format and number of characters). While I have not verified that the "serial number" is indeed the actual MAC of the router, we did verify that the serial number on the actual unit is not the number that is showing up on the webpage.

My question is simple. Is this something that my friend needs to worry about, and get in contact with Time Warner to fix? Or, should the just leave it alone?

Thanks in advance,

--Brian

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"My question is simple. Is this something that my friend needs to worry about, and get in contact with Time Warner to fix? Or, should the just leave it alone?"

The Mac address is the important thing, the serial number is not used and sometimes the Mac address is entered in the Billing system as the serial number.

Its all good!

Hob

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

hobgoblin See Profile,

Thanks for the quick reply to my question.

I'll let my friend know that all is well, and they don't have to worry about it.

Take care,

--Brian