how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AnnaS8

join:2005-05-26
Annapolis, MD

Xbox cloud saves

Can someone please explain to me the cloud saves on xbox. Some of it is a bit fuzzy for me. So the cloud is the most up to date save? Is the save backed up anywhere?

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4

Its just another place to save to, I would assume xbox is doing some sort of data protection. You can never know though.

AnnaS8

Annapolis, MD

Yeah, that is the problem...I don't know lol

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21
reply to AnnaS8

Microsoft's data centers are certainly less likely lose your data than your xbox hard drive is. And they're just game saves, not irreplaceable heirlooms.

A more important reason not to use it is if you think you'll ever need your saves when not connected to the internet.
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

DslrMark

join:2000-06-29
Lawndale, CA
reply to AnnaS8

One of my favorite features, I have two boxes can Play on one save & then continue on the other.

Spatch
Stugots
Premium
join:2001-06-29
Savannah, GA
reply to AnnaS8

I use it all the time. Works great! I have 3 boxes at two different houses and all you need is the game and your saves are there. I actually save more to cloud than the hard drive now.

jack322

join:2012-09-19
reply to AnnaS8

great and useful feature.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Weirdal

said by Weirdal:

Microsoft's data centers are certainly less likely lose your data than your xbox hard drive is. And they're just game saves, not irreplaceable heirlooms.

A more important reason not to use it is if you think you'll ever need your saves when not connected to the internet.

you can save on both you know

AnnaS8

Annapolis, MD
reply to Weirdal

said by Weirdal:

Well while I know they aren't irreplaceable...It is a bit of a pain in the tail to lose them. Starting GTA IV from the begining or Crackdown's orb hunting from scratch is no picnic that is for sure.

Not that I am so much worried about MS losing them. I just want to understand how it works so I know how to make sure I have my most current save. Online or offline.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2

said by AnnaS8:

Not that I am so much worried about MS losing them. I just want to understand how it works so I know how to make sure I have my most current save. Online or offline.

It just saves your game to one of Microsoft's cloud servers. You won't be able to access the save offline, but if your console died a horrible death and you had to get another one you wouldn't lose your progress in your games.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to Weirdal

said by Weirdal:

Game saves are a record of things we've done, good times spent with friends and/or family, are reminders of different periods of our lives. While not "heirlooms" they are somewhat irreplaceable. I lost all my saves from the Playstation, Playstation 2, Gamecube and Xbox when my ex and I split because I was stupid and forgot I left them with him. By the time I realized my mistake, he was well out of contact. Yes, I *could* replay those games, but it's just not the same - and a bit overwhelming, as my Final Fantasy VII save, for instance, had over 80 hours in it. It bothers me just as much as if I'd lost a treasured photo album because those game saves go back well before I met him.

I'm sure the same scenario wouldn't bother a lot of people, but everyone has different levels of emotional attachment to things.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21

Yeah it sucks to lose game saves, not not so much that you shouldn't trust the cloud saves.
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

jimbo23

@mchsi.com
reply to bionicRod

said by bionicRod:

You won't be able to access the save offline,

yes you can, cloud saves are mirrored on your console

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2

said by jimbo23 :

said by bionicRod:

You won't be able to access the save offline,

yes you can, cloud saves are mirrored on your console

Cool, sorry for the bad info and thanks for the correction.

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
reply to AnnaS8

Anyways to increase the cloud save storage by buying something?

AnnaS8

Annapolis, MD

Not that I am aware of. Unfortunately you need to be judicious about which saves you add. I wish they would increase the storage.