dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« Usenet !
This is a sub-selection from Thottle me !
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to SimbaSeven

to SimbaSeven

Re: Thottle me !

said by SimbaSeven:

said by 88615298:

and your ISP will cut you off.

Why would they? You're not going anything that's considered "piracy".

Once again my ISP Charter has rules against that in their TOS which have been in place for YEARS. In fact Charter has rules against copyright infringement for years that allow them to cut you off. Most ISPS have had these rules for years even before this deal with the MPAA and RIAA. There has been nothing stopping an ISP from cutting you off already.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

said by 88615298:

Once again my ISP Charter has rules against that in their TOS which have been in place for YEARS. In fact Charter has rules against copyright infringement for years that allow them to cut you off.

Running several L4D servers isn't piracy. *sigh*
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by SimbaSeven:

said by 88615298:

Once again my ISP Charter has rules against that in their TOS which have been in place for YEARS. In fact Charter has rules against copyright infringement for years that allow them to cut you off.

I didn't say it was. sigh. reading is fundamental.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
why should they care if a user runs a game server or not? it doesn't use much bandwidth and it is doubtful that it would have any impact on the service.
JTR
join:2012-05-19
Westmont, IL
MikroTik CCR2004-1G-12S-2XS
Asus RT-AC86
Asus RT-AC68

JTR

said by ArrayList:

why should they care if a user runs a game server or not? it doesn't use much bandwidth and it is doubtful that it would have any impact on the service.

It uses quite a bit of bandwidth, depending on the game of course, brings the risk of DDoS attacks, and can cause issues.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by SimbaSeven:

said by 88615298:

and your ISP will cut you off.

Why would they? You're not going anything that's considered "piracy".

Once again my ISP Charter has rules against that in their TOS which have been in place for YEARS. In fact Charter has rules against copyright infringement for years that allow them to cut you off. Most ISPS have had these rules for years even before this deal with the MPAA and RIAA. There has been nothing stopping an ISP from cutting you off already.

So what does that have to do with hosting game servers on Verizon? Last I knew Charter can only wish they were Verizon considering no one wanted to buy them.

Then again the person you were originally replying to is lying. Even Verizon's fastest tier cannot sustain "thousands" of game servers.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to JTR

Premium Member

to JTR
what game servers do you run? I run a very active tf2 server and it barely uses 50gb per month. That is not a lot of data.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

I run 20 Left 4 Dead Servers
JTR
join:2012-05-19
Westmont, IL
MikroTik CCR2004-1G-12S-2XS
Asus RT-AC86
Asus RT-AC68

JTR to ArrayList

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

what game servers do you run? I run a very active tf2 server and it barely uses 50gb per month. That is not a lot of data.

I ran a somewhat active Minecraft server for a while, it used like 150-250GB per month of bandwidth.

I recently shut it down after nearly three months of daily DDoS attacks (reaching into the 4Gbit range at one point). I'm glad I didn't run it at home, it would have been 1000x worse to deal with.
Crusty
join:2008-11-11
Sanger, TX

Crusty to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by SimbaSeven:

said by 88615298:

I didn't say it was. sigh. reading is fundamental.

Yes, you implied it. Quit with your trolling.
« Usenet !
This is a sub-selection from Thottle me !