spc
Search similar:

uniqs
trying
join:2005-10-22
Baltimore, MD

trying

upgrade modem

I've been a Verizon DSL user for 7+ years using a West ell 327 and the 1 Mbps service. Yesterday I upgraded to the $34.95/most package and was told to install the new modem when it arrives to get the ffaster service. But... today I'm getting 4700 Kbps down with the 327. Will a newer modem be faster ??
lennoz
join:2008-12-04
Brooklyn, NY

lennoz

No, new modem will not make it faster. Verizon will typically send new modem if you are upgrading to there 5-7mbps down package with adsl2+ capable modem, even though 327 can handle adsl2+, however depends on the version you have. Still use the new modem when it comes.

There might be some other issues at play here.
Post your trans stats. Go to 192.168.1.1 > System Monitoring > Advance Status > Transceiver Statistics
trying
Baltimore, MD

trying

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0
Vendor ID Code: 4
Line Mode: ADSL2+ Mode
Data Path: Interleaved

Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 5883 863
Margin (dB) 10.0 11.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 50.5 29.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 18.9 12.1
lennoz
join:2008-12-04
Brooklyn, NY

lennoz

Based on those stats, that's what you should be getting around 4.7mb down.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to trying

MVM

to trying
Those stats don't look too bad. Keep the modem Verizon sent you around as a spare. When the Westell 327w gives out, then you've got something to use
trying
Baltimore, MD

trying

Verizon bumped my speed up but the numbers don't seem so hot?

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 7451 862
Margin (dB) 5.0 10.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 49.0 29.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 19.0 12.0
drjunky9
join:2005-09-14
Taneytown, MD

drjunky9

Seems fine, just monitor it for a few days and see how the stability is. I think most people say your margin should be around 10 or so at it's lowest, but mine fluctuates between 5 and 6 and it's pretty solid (I can download max speed for hours).

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

My modem's downstream margin sits at around 7dB because I'm at 5Mbps on a line that is slightly over two miles long. The gauge isn't the best out on the poles but it is new copper. No ADSL2+. If that remains stable for you even with the low margin, then so be it! I'm surprised Verizon pushed the full 7M out to you. if you do start to encounter any problems though, expect the first thing to be done is a speed decrease back to 5Mbps. If Optimization kicks in, expect it to happen rather soon.
trying
Baltimore, MD

trying

Here's some new numbers . Things seem to have stabilized.

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 7238 862
Margin (dB) 6.0 10.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 49.5 29.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 19.2 12.0

Love the speed.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to trying

MVM

to trying
According to the user manual the old modem/router was upgradable to ADSL2.
»www.westell.com/docs/sup ··· 6_ug.pdf

From you posts you are connected in ADSL2 mode, so that means the firmware in the modem and the DSLAM line card in the Central Office supports ADSL2. So as far as DSL link speed should not see any difference in speed.

Typical residential DSL speeds were slower back when this unit was released. NAT requires a lot of bookkeeping so the older router may be computationally bound and not be able to fully utilize the new speed. The only way to tell is to try some A/B speed tests comparing the old and new unit. Probably will not see any difference but ought to try just to make sure.

Best case speed test result is 85.6% of sync rate. TCP/IP/PPPoE/ATM overhead is 14.4%. Based on your first transceiver stat posted best case speed test should be 5,035 dw 739 up, Will probably be slightly slower but gives you some idea what to look for.

/tom