koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

1 edit

[iPad] iPad 4th gen LTE toggle missing on unofficial carrier

Click for full size
Click for full size
So my 4th gen iPad arrived yesterday. I went down to my local carrier GCI and picked up an LTE-enabled SIM to pop into it. When I loaded it all up, the only thing that will load is 3G. I looked for the switch in General> Cellular, but the "Enable LTE" switch is simply missing. GCI has LTE in 1700/2100 MHz, so it should be compatible with the iPad. Even if it wasn't, the LTE switch should still be there.

It appears that Apple is controlling what carriers the iPad will connect to LTE with. They are doing the same thing with the iPhone 5, but since GCI is a carrier, I understand their reasoning even if I disagree with it. Basically, Apple wants to verify GCI's LTE network before allowing iPhone devices to utilize it.

GCI does not carry the iPad. The carrier settings revert to the default: "Carrier 13.5" in the about screen. There should be no reason for the iPad to not be willing to connect to LTE.

I do work for GCI, so I spoke with one of the folks that deal with the network. He verified that LTE is enabled for my SIM and that any device that has LTE should recognize and search for it.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit

Maybe an APN profile has to be downloaded for it?

I remember doing it from this site for a friend's phone... not sure if it works on the ipads

»www.unlockit.co.nz/mobilesettings/

Another thing... Have you synced with iTunes yet? Maybe it will pop up a notice like "new carrier settings available"...

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK

The APNs are just to get data through the network. No APN means no data, but the LTE radio should still be enabled.

I tried the unlockit thing, but all it does is add the APN settings.

Yes, I've synced and restored from my backup of my iPad 2. There isn't a carrier profile for an iPad on GCI.

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to koolman2

Have you called Apple? I would check with them before deciding they've intentionally prevented the iPad from connecting. Given the enormous number of people that had problems getting on to AT&T's LTE network with the iPhone 5, I wouldn't be surprised if you are experiencing a bug of some kind.

Also, did you try using the 'reset network settings' button? This will make it forget all previous WiFi networks, but it also resets any carried-over cellular network settings from the iPad 2 backup.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK

1 edit

Yep, I tried the reset to defaults. I'll give Apple a call and report back.

Also, I set the iPad up without restoring first. The option was missing and I went ahead with the restore.

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK

Per the Apple Care rep, there's nothing in the settings that should be preventing it from connecting. The switch is there and works with AT&T, so it is working correctly and must be something with the network I'm on. I pointed out that, even in a non 3G area, the enable 3G switch is still in the settings on an iPhone, so logically the LTE switch should still be there even if the network I'm on doesn't support the correct frequencies. I continued that it seems like it's simply disabling the LTE because it's not on an approved network. He said, " Yeah, I think it could be that too, but it's not something we can fix."

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to koolman2

Apple does run a locked-down device, but they haven't shown any indication they want to prevent people from using iOS devices on non-official carriers.

It's possible they are preventing you, but I think it's more likely the LTE network, even if it is the proper frequency, is not compatible with the iPad or the SIM is not enabled properly in the carrier's network.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK
reply to koolman2

I've done a bit more research. It seems that there may be a flag inside the carrier settings to turn on LTE. See this thread about an iPhone 5 in Belgium having a similar problem: »discussions.apple.com/thread/448···tstart=0

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to koolman2

I don't know how they do it on GCI but on AT&T you have to have a sim card that has 25 as the 8th and 9th numbers.

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK

My SIM says LTE right on it.

the4Gguy

join:2012-11-25
reply to koolman2

koolman2,

I'm actually having less success than you are. We operate our own 4G network (just in the turnup phase with 2 sites at this time) in the 700 block so I've just purchased an AT&T model. Unfortunately I can't even get the unit to connect, let alone get to the LTE toggle switch. Ironically, if I go to the "Carrier" preferences pane and turn off automatic, our MCC-MNC shows up next to AT&T and T-mobile, so I know the radio is at least scanning and can see our network however the iPad just says "Searching..." and then finally goes to "No Carrier". I'm definitely going to be watching this thread and will reply if we have any luck moving forward...

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30

said by the4Gguy:

koolman2,

I'm actually having less success than you are. We operate our own 4G network (just in the turnup phase with 2 sites at this time) in the 700 block so I've just purchased an AT&T model. Unfortunately I can't even get the unit to connect, let alone get to the LTE toggle switch. Ironically, if I go to the "Carrier" preferences pane and turn off automatic, our MCC-MNC shows up next to AT&T and T-mobile, so I know the radio is at least scanning and can see our network however the iPad just says "Searching..." and then finally goes to "No Carrier". I'm definitely going to be watching this thread and will reply if we have any luck moving forward...

what bands of LTE are you operating on? VZ is on one side of the 700 and ATT is on the other I believe.

the4Gguy

join:2012-11-25

We are actually Lower B (Band 17), so we're adjacent to AT&T...

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to koolman2

if it can see the network I would imagine its in the frequency range of the radio. as a radio needs to be able to recv a frequency to actually see it doesnt it?

My guess is Apple has it software locked somehow, Has anybody tested this with a jailbroken ipad?
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK
reply to koolman2

I will be returning the iPad tomorrow and purchasing a different phone and tablet soon. So far I have been okay with the software lockdown, but when it delves into hardware control, I get a bit pissy.

Good luck getting the iPad to connect. If you look on their website, it says in no uncertain terms that LTE is not available on all carriers, even if they have LTE.

Data roaming depends on supported bands and carrier policies. LTE roaming may not be available. Contact your carrier for more details.
To identify your iPad model number, see »support.apple.com/kb/HT5452. iPad models are unlocked and may support LTE networks outside the country of purchase when using a valid SIM from a supported carrier. Contact your carrier for more details.
LTE band support is based on the iPad model number and configuration for either CDMA or GSM networks. Band support does not guarantee support on all LTE networks running on the same bands.

»www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK

I took the iPad back today. The Genius Bar dude here in Anchorage told me that the LTE chipset is locked to the carrier it was sold for.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by koolman2:

I took the iPad back today. The Genius Bar dude here in Anchorage told me that the LTE chipset is locked to the carrier it was sold for.

Thats odd, but perhaps try buying one from Canada. They are unlocked and we have several LTE carriers here and you can switch between at your leisure.

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK

I'm pretty sure that the LTE radio is controlled by the carrier settings. It probably wouldn't work, and I'm not going to have an iPad that I can't send in for warranty work if necessary.

I do appreciate the suggestion, though.