how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

using a wired switch with a DIR-655 questions

Okay I know this is probably a straightforward answer and I'm probably overthinking it, but before I spend any money I want to make sure I'm not doing something that won't work.

I currently have a DIR-655 Rev A router in my computer room. in the adjacent room I have several hard wired items (PS3, Denon AVR) for which I was able to pass through two Ethernet cables through the wall that separates them..

I have used the remaining ports on the DIR-655 for my ISP's modem and the NAS that I have.

So all the ports on the DIR-655 are full and I realized that if I added a "connected" TV or wanted to have a wired connection for backing up my laptop in the other room, I'm out of luck (actually there would be no way to shove a third Ethernet cable through the hole in the wall anyways)

So my question is simply this. Is there a preferred gigabit class switch that I should be using with the DIR-655 to give me more ports on the other side of the wall? I'm looking at gigabit because to backup to the NAS I'd want the most bandwidth that the laptop's HDD could use.

Thanks for any suggestions.

NefCanuck

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CableOne

Most any SOHO class switch will work. I actually use a Small business class 24pt Gb switch on the back end of mine. That also feeds to a 8pt swtich in the living room.

Most DLink swtiches work well. I have been using HP since I have had more experience with them.

Let us know what you go with.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

Thanks, I'll poke around the local store this weekend if I get a chance but hold off buying until I see if there are any Black Friday deals to be had (Even Canada is into the Black Friday thing now)

I'm tempted to go for a D-link switch only because the DIR-655 has worked well for me and I see no reason not to support them with my business.

NefCanuck

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1
reply to NefCanuck

You might find something good. I don't get into Black Friday at all here. hehe. I'm sure you'll find something.

Have a good weekend.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to NefCanuck

I had an 8 port Dlink gig-e switch hanging off my 655 (before it passed on, and was replaced with an asus) - no problems at all. The gig e switch is still in use, hanging off the Asus RT-N16 I replaced the 655 with.

I've also used no-name 10 Meg hubs, 10/100 switches, etc,etc - pretty much anything should work... No problem matching brands, but no real need to, either...

PamelaTS

join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless
reply to NefCanuck

I once had a 5 port switch hanging off my DIR-655 before I switched to a DAP-1522. I added a second DAP-1522 to serve as a 5ghz AP and 4 port switch this improved connectivity and removed the need for wires between rooms making rearranging room easier. I later replaced the DIR-655 with a DIR-825 and operate both DAP-1522's in bridge mode on the 5ghz band.

Doing a scan of available SSID's there are around 10-11 not counting me, completely covering the 2.4ghz band. I am the only 5ghz band SSID and 2 at a time FULL HD video streams are no problem at all. Don't recall an incident I tried 3 unless you want to count a 3D FULL HD [frame packed] as two. My walls are 6 inch thick cinder block covered with wallboard, makes passing wires room to room a bit of an issue.

I have used this configuration with DirecTV HD DVR's as a Beta whole home tester and currently with TiVo Premiere's each DAP also has a Bluray HT on it. Room to Room for otherwise fixed devices concurrent dual band 5Ghz is the way to go.
--
---- Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
---- Albert Einstein

-- DLink DIR-825 (B1) fw2.07NA / DAP-1522 (a1) fw 1.40 {2@5ghz bridge mode} / Clear Modem series G
(Counting down to DUMP CLEAR ~ June)

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
reply to NefCanuck

I personally like the Netgear 8-port GS108. Nothing fancy, dependable, lifetime guarantee. Im not a fan of their retail grade routers, but their switches are top notch. Oh, and notice its a 8-port, I think if your going to be paying 40$ for a 4-port, why not just pay 53 for a 8-port. Then you don't have to worry about buying another one if your port demand ever goes up again. JMHO

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33122111