spc
uniqs
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink to hyde1

to hyde1

Re: Wifi for internet, LAN for printing only?

If not readily evident, I highly recommend you disable DHCP on the Time Warner router while connected to the LAN.
hyde1
join:2012-11-16

hyde1

I just connected both and now the internet is going through LAN (TWC) and I can still print & scan. In the past this did not work, how is it working now? Is it solely because TWC router is using a totally different gateway?

Wifi to Linksys Router for Cisco T1 and has network devices
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.250(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

LAN to TWC Ubee Equipment directly
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 64.x.x.x
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

I can disable DHCP on TWC equipment, but I am not sure why is it assigning Default Gateway 64.x.x.x to my PC because if I disable DHCP I would just use gateway 192.168.0.1

If I keep my connection as it is now, will there be any conflict or lag? I read that windows will always check the fastest connection and route primary information through that. Does this mean if I use wifi for TWC and LAN for T1, will it go through T1 instead since LAN is Gigabit and WLAN is only 56mbps? I would definitely use jimbopalmer's "no default gateway" method for LAN if that's the case, but I still wanted to make sure it is right for above.
Bink
Colorado

Bink

I don’t know why you got a 16/8 address for your default gateway or how you got two gateways for your wired NIC, but, with regard to your printing, it is likely everything is working because 192.168.1/24 traffic goes out the wireless NIC and 192.168.0/24 traffic goes out your wired NIC. If you keep it as it is now, you’ll be fine—Windows sets a lower route metric for faster interfaces—and you are correct in that if you reverse the current connections, your wired NIC will always be favored (though you can change this).
hyde1

hyde1

Thanks, will keep it as it is for now, it won't be long (although Amazon still did not send me a shipping confirmation for ZyWall)
When you mentioned "though you can change this", how do I do that. I always wanted MS to fix this and give complete control of connections to user, but it seemed like it always had it's own mind when working..
Bink
Colorado

Bink

The simplest way to change the default interface metric is to go to the Properties of your Local Area Connection and IPv4 and use the Advanced button to remove the Automatic metric for the interface and set your own. That said, I consider the defaults sane and would only change them if needed (which might be the case in your temporary situation).
hyde1

hyde1

Thanks. I am so glad that there is also ZyXell forums in this site, and helpful people like you guys.