All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to Gordo74

to Gordo74

Re: Sandy ... mom GAVE AWAY her damaged car :/ help analyze!

said by Gordo74:

said by TheTechGuru:

Rear glass does not have "antennas" it has defrost heater wires.

When a real antenna is not used, glass antennas are usually in the front windshield or on the far rear side glass on suburbans.

It has defrost heater wires, yes, but the antenna wire does indeed attach to them for reception.

Source: I have a 2004 Impala as well and I can confirm that it does use the rear windshield defrost wires as an antenna

Hmm, news to me. I've used a 2012 Impala and assumed it was using the OnStar antenna on the roof for radio. Nice cars BTW, but I hate front wheel drive. Can really feel the tourq steer on the 2012 Impala.

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74

Premium Member

said by TheTechGuru:

said by Gordo74:

said by TheTechGuru:

When a real antenna is not used, glass antennas are usually in the front windshield or on the far rear side glass on suburbans.

It has defrost heater wires, yes, but the antenna wire does indeed attach to them for reception.

Source: I have a 2004 Impala as well and I can confirm that it does use the rear windshield defrost wires as an antenna

Hmm, news to me. I've used a 2012 Impala and assumed it was using the OnStar antenna on the roof for radio. Nice cars BTW, but I hate front wheel drive. Can really feel the tourq steer on the 2012 Impala.

The rear windshield antenna may not be that way in the 06+ Impalas. The 2000-2005 generation it was however.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by Gordo74:

The rear windshield antenna may not be that way in the 06+ Impalas. The 2000-2005 generation it was however.

my 02 grand prix uses a third wire to the rear glass for antenna

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

2 edits

Anonymous_ to TheTechGuru

Premium Member

to TheTechGuru
Click for full size
said by TheTechGuru:

said by Gordo74:

said by TheTechGuru:

Now days rear window antenna should be standard on cars. Since antenna's cause a lot of drag on the car . Not to mention antennas look stupid.
said by Rambo76098:

said by Anonymous_:

$2,000 just for the glass alone.
$600 for doors
$120 for the trunk
$100 for the hood
$70(ea) Finder
$350 front bumper(since it has the fog light option)
$125 for the rear bumper

$3,400

Maybe it's because they're a dime a dozen here, but used parts for these are way cheaper than you're quoting. Try $60/door. $75/bumper. $30/fender. I've had run-ins with my 2000 grand prix (virtually same car) and the sucker is dirt cheap to fix...

Sorry, After you add the cost to paint it. Then price jumps quickly. Since you will have to get the whole car painted, other wise it will look "unnatural" to the rest of the car. (wear wise)

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

I remember many 70's vehicles having the antenna in the front windshield.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

said by TheTechGuru:

I remember many 70's vehicles having the antenna in the front windshield.

I hated those things. My 75 Cutlass Supreme and 77 Chevy truck had them.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

my fathers 78 phoenix and grandfathers 79 nova (same body) hat it in the windshield too... mediocre at best