join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to booj

Premium Member

to booj

Re: Gasoline Prices Below 99 Cents/Litre By Christmas

said by booj:

said by TLS2000:

True. I love my stick shift, but they will disappear within a decade.

They won't in smaller cars that easily meet MPG requirements. Adding the costs of a DSG to those cars is a non-starter.

might not take a decade...the take rates on manual transmission cars (in most brands) is abysmal at best...Mercedes no longer makes a manual transmission (even as an option) in any of their cars.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by dirtyjeffer0:

might not take a decade...the take rates on manual transmission cars (in most brands) is abysmal at best...Mercedes no longer makes a manual transmission (even as an option) in any of their cars.

For what it's worth, the manual shift control on their automatic transmissions do a good, but not perfect, approximation of a true manual transmission.
booj
join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON

booj to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
The cheaper end of the car spectrum will include manuals for many decades to come. That's how I see it.

Fuel efficient automatic transmissions cost about 2k. This cost may not be that relevant when buying a Mercedes, but when buying a sub 20k car it sure is.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by booj:

The cheaper end of the car spectrum will include manuals for many decades to come. That's how I see it.

Fuel efficient automatic transmissions cost about 2k. This cost may not be that relevant when buying a Mercedes, but when buying a sub 20k car it sure is.

considering a vast number of car buyers are financing their purchase, and that most automatics add about $1200 to the price of the car (not sure where your $2k figure comes from), that only amounts to about $15-$20/month on your payment...i doubt it would be a deal breaker...as well, it is possible that if the only transmission that was purchased and installed was the same automatic transmission, it would also enable the auto company to get better pricing and more efficient assembly which will help keep costs lower as well.
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

1 recommendation

Robrr to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

Incorrect. The SLK is still available with a 6-speed manual transmission.

»www.mercedes-benz.ca/con ··· tion_tag

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by Robrr:

Incorrect. The SLK is still available with a 6-speed manual transmission.

»www.mercedes-benz.ca/con ··· tion_tag

interesting...they have brought one back...perhaps for the "roadster enthusiast" who wants to step up from a Miata...i remember reading a year or two ago that Mercedes was no longer offering manuals...as well, that is the ONLY vehicle they offer with a manual...a "base model" SLK...unlikely to sell that many anyway.