spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dsjg
join:2012-11-16
Morgantown, KY

dsjg

gen4 help with ps3 gaming and speeds

My son plays online about 6-8hrs. a day I just signed up with HN which they will be here on the 29th to install was wondering about the gen4 download speed to play on the ps3 and when and if time runs out on the power plan 10+10gb that I have what speed does it drop down to. ANYHELP would be GREAT because iI can get from speedtest.net PING 104ms DOWNLOAD SPEED O.71mbps UPLOAD SPEED 0.77mbps
dsjg

dsjg

the speeds that I quoted is on a service I have now and I can play online with those speeds.Just wondering if HN GEN4 is going to be better.Also what I have is unlimited @$60 a month
sharkyyoung
Premium Member
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

sharkyyoung

Premium Member

KEEP IT
dsjg
Morgantown, KY

dsjg

why you say that
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to dsjg

Premium Member

to dsjg
Speed is not the concern, latency is. You have 104ms ping? Your ping on Gen4 would be about 550-650ms.
dsjg
Morgantown, KY

dsjg

thanks going to cancel order ASAP
dsjg

dsjg

Of course they made me believe that it would work for my ps3 I'am very glad I did a little investigation into this claim thanks for all whom replied
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco to dsjg

Premium Member

to dsjg
I am assuming you have DSL now?

C0RR0SIVE88
@direcway.com

C0RR0SIVE88

Anon

The PS3 would work on Gen4, but not as great as they lead on, gaming in general is bad with satellite internet due to high latency. If you have DSL, stick with it, don't go Gen4. The low latency, even with the crappy speed is better than 10 down with 5-8x more latency.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to dsjg

to dsjg
Gen4 should'nt be recommended for gaming period or even considered, the ping is so high when you try connecting with a gaming console the connection eventually times out with makes it unplayable at time, other times gameplay will be the only problem and not connecting.
sharkyyoung
Premium Member
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

sharkyyoung to dsjg

Premium Member

to dsjg
said by dsjg:

why you say that

Sorry was off line, just see all the answers above, if I could have what you have I wouldn't use satellite.

verizonlteda
@myvzw.com

verizonlteda

Anon

I had both old hughesnet and wildblue think god for pings in 47-56 gaming works great now, sat will never work good NEVER.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

said by verizonlteda :

I had both old hughesnet and wildblue think god for pings in 47-56 gaming works great now, sat will never work good NEVER.

Do you have homefusion now?
Max Mouse
join:2010-02-28

Max Mouse to dsjg

to dsjg
Switching DSL to satellite should never even be thought up in your mind. With Satellite internet You gonna have your son either angry or crying about how his online games won't work anymore..
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

1mbps (or even 768kbps) DSL might be slow, but there is almost nothing it can't do. You can't stream HD, but you can almost always stream the exact same content in standard definition. Satellite on the other hand can do HD, but voip is not as good, gaming is horrible, remote work over RDP, SSH, and VPNs is sub-par at best, and it costs much more with very low caps.

Unless you are in one of the very few areas that is neglected by the likes of Windstream or Frontier, chances are any DSL available will be 1mbps+ and will be better than satellite. At least I would take it over satellite, any day.
chances14
join:2010-03-03
Michigan

chances14 to dsjg

to dsjg
i can't speak for gen 4 but i had hughesnet up until a year ago on spaceway 3 and for whatever reason (latency, hughesnet blocking ports) i could never get my nat type to open on the ps3. it was always stuck on closed, meaning gaming was impossible on the ps3.

you must have an open nat type if you want a good online experience on the ps3. about the only thing i could do with the ps3 was use the web browser and download system updates.
TexasRebel
join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX

TexasRebel to dsjg

to dsjg
maybe your son needs to get out of the house more often instead of playing video games for 6-8 hours a day???

other than that, it should be a given that satellite broadband is not going to work for games that require low latency. Even if HN opens up the NAT and you can use your PS3 on the HN connection, it's going to laggy as hell..

you're best bet would be to get a Millenicom account and use their 3G/4G unlimited package which might give you about 3-5Mbps down and 512Kbps up, but latency will be around in the 150-250ms range.
Free_Radical
join:2012-11-27

Free_Radical to dsjg

to dsjg
I live in a internet dead zone the only services available are dialup which on a good day I would be able to get about 20kbps then of course Hughesnet. I have been a gamer for a long time but since I have moved here I have missed out on the whole online gaming seen. I have lived in this dead zone close to ten years now and Frontier has been telling me that dsl is coming soon but it never does. So when gen4 came out I was the first one anywhere around here to get it. I have only tried to play three games so far Killzone 3, Grand Theft Auto 4 and Call of Duty Black Op's 2, Killzone 3 worked great so did Grand Theft Auto 4 but Call of Duty Black Op's 2 no-go I tried for three days to get it to work, I tried to forward the ports, I enabled DMZ, I disabled the routers firewall to no avail. There were a couple of times when it said my nat type was open and as soon as I tried to start a game it would go back to a moderate nat type and I would just sit in the lobby with the game saying waiting for five more players but they would never come while there were more then half a million players online. Sorry this post is so long I just had to get that out.

Chris Rickey
@sbcglobal.net

Chris Rickey

Anon

Thanks for the real world feed back. As a technician I receive a mixed bag of customer experiences concerning online gaming. While Hughes does not support gaming, I find that there are some people who have success with certain online games and not others. I am trying to see if there are any common denominators in those who find some success.