spc
uniqs

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to HeadSpinning

to HeadSpinning

Re: TekSavvy log keeping

said by HeadSpinning:

They should keep at least a year of billing data available. ISPs don't log user activity (i.e. where they go) - but they do log IP address assignment date & times, as well as data transferred - these are all required for billing purposes.

How is logging who is assigned an IP for how long required for billing?

TSI should not be keeping logs of that longer than they absolutely have to by law.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

Because the IP address is part of the log entry that show the usage - standard RADIUS record. I wouldn't go out of my way to keep some fields of a record for a certain amount of time and not others. Just doesn't make sense. Purge the entire record when it is no longer needed. There's no law AGAINST keeping the records for longer than required.

Why are you so worried about how long they keep your IP assignment data?
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

"So if you aren't doing anything wrong, you shouldn't be worried" raises it's ugly head again.

Do you keep tax records any longer than the required 7 years? If you do you're a fool - because if you have them and CRA finds out/asks for them in an audit, you have to hand them over. You expose yourself to liability based on a retroactive interpretation of the records.

Shred, purge, delete, overwrite should be your operating mantra at the first possible moment it is legally permissible to do so, for both your own, and customer, data.

If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged.
----Cardinal Richelieu

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r

said by MaynardKrebs:

"So if you aren't doing anything wrong, you shouldn't be worried" raises it's ugly head again.

Do you keep tax records any longer than the required 7 years? If you do you're a fool - because if you have them and CRA finds out/asks for them in an audit, you have to hand them over. You expose yourself to liability based on a retroactive interpretation of the records.

Shred, purge, delete, overwrite should be your operating mantra at the first possible moment it is legally permissible to do so, for both your own, and customer, data.

If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged.
----Cardinal Richelieu

Couldn't have said it better myself. Well currently, they are not able to enforce the caps so by that logic, they shouldn't be keeping IP assignment data at all, unless they have to legally, right?

Even in the future though, IP assignment data should NOT be logged for billing purposes, as other things could also do that without also exposing big privacy risks.