uniqs
share rss forum feed

LoneGreyWolf
Premium
join:2002-09-09
Winter Haven, FL
Reviews:
·Earthlink Cable ..

Worth it to upgrade to Windows 8 with no touchscreen?

It seems like Windows 8 is a really great OS, but is it useful for someone who doesn't have a touchscreen computer at all?

I am currently using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
--
"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep."
~By Robert Frost~

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
In my not-so-humble opinion, no. Don't do it.

RW8

@rr.com
reply to LoneGreyWolf
said by LoneGreyWolf:

It seems like Windows 8 is a really great OS, but is it useful for someone who doesn't have a touchscreen computer at all?

I am currently using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

I've been using Windows 8 on work and home computers without touchscreen and I love it. I never used it on a touchscreen before yet.

hdpoint
Lethbridge, Alberta

join:2009-03-02
Canada
reply to LoneGreyWolf
Same here. While it's designed for touchscreen it works well without. That's where people get it wrong.

LoneGreyWolf
Premium
join:2002-09-09
Winter Haven, FL
reply to LoneGreyWolf
Is there any real need at this time to upgrade though?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
"Need" is subjective.

Here's a post that covers some new OS features found in Windows 8:

»Re: [WIN8] Windows 8 - best to pass it up: review Read more: ht

I'm sure if you Google around and do some reading, you can determine better what you need.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

reply to LoneGreyWolf
said by LoneGreyWolf:

Only you can answer that $40 question
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to LoneGreyWolf
So I'm sitting here waiting to get into my office (we're adding on; business is good) and I looked at this and thought to myself, "Hey, there's an update tool that checks your PC for Win8." so, to amuse myself, I downloaded it to see how compatible this borrowed Dell Inspiron 1545 is. I think it's 3 years old.

Turns out, the guy who owns it wouldn't be able to install Win 8 due to "secure boot" not being compatible. That's one thing a lot of people may not be aware of when they buy Windows 8.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to LoneGreyWolf
said by LoneGreyWolf:

Do you feel there is one?
I don't? If you're happy with Windows 7... keep it.

MSeng
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-08
join:2000-07-13
Ork
kudos:6
reply to howardfine
Those would be the same people that bought Windows 7 (or Vista, or XP, etc), didn't do ANY research first then find out their favorite program doesn't work or their three year old printer suddenly doesn't have drivers available. It is certainly not unique to this OS.

To the original poster, you have to make the decision if upgrading is worthwhile. Asking the question here is going to get you a myriad of responses in both directions.
--
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to howardfine
said by howardfine:

So I'm sitting here waiting to get into my office (we're adding on; business is good) and I looked at this and thought to myself, "Hey, there's an update tool that checks your PC for Win8." so, to amuse myself, I downloaded it to see how compatible this borrowed Dell Inspiron 1545 is. I think it's 3 years old.

Turns out, the guy who owns it wouldn't be able to install Win 8 due to "secure boot" not being compatible. That's one thing a lot of people may not be aware of when they buy Windows 8.

LOL seriously? He can still install it regardless - just click Continue/Install/whatever is the prompt. Secure Boot is not required to install Windows 8.

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Yeah, I misread what the tool said. It said something like "Your computer doesn't have Secure Boot so it can't work with it..." but 'it' was Secure Boot and not Win 8.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to LoneGreyWolf
It's fine without a touchscreen. I've had the preview on my laptop for a few months now. I like it. In fact, I daresay it's the first Windows to actually impress me. It fixed many of the gripes I had with 7.. almost like they read my mind.

Come to think of it, one of the things I hated in 7 actually was the start menu (Vista could at least revert to Classic style), and lo and behold they changed it in 8 and I liked the change.

Whoah.

/head asplode
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to MSeng
said by MSeng:

Those would be the same people that bought Windows 7 (or Vista, or XP, etc), didn't do ANY research first then find out their favorite program doesn't work or their three year old printer suddenly doesn't have drivers available. It is certainly not unique to this OS.

When I upgraded to Vista HP had no drivers for my model printer. I forget what model it was now but I was able to get it working just fine by using updated Vista compatible drivers for a similar model. It was really easy. My HP scanner just worked, everything else just worked as well. My upgraded systems were well above the minimum and well above the recommended specs too so there was no problem there.

The only thing that didn’t work quite right was my Belkin n50 and n52 but Belkin was notorious for poor driver support or at least it seemed so from my point of view. Eventually I think they released decent drivers for them but I didn’t really care by then,…I just moved on without it.

I get that people didn’t like Vista I just didn’t see any of the issues that would lend merit to that point of view first hand.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to LoneGreyWolf
said by LoneGreyWolf:

You can easily answer this by following the two basic rules that apply to all technical questions.

Rule #1, "If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT"
Rule #2, See rule #1

RazzyW8

@rr.com
said by SipSizzurp:

said by LoneGreyWolf:

You can easily answer this by following the two basic rules that apply to all technical questions.

Rule #1, "If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT"
Rule #2, See rule #1

my rule is...

"if it ain't broke, improve it"

Willies13
Premium
join:2009-09-28
Montpelier, OH
reply to LoneGreyWolf
I set up my machine with a dual boot . ( 7 and 8) At first I just played around with 8 off and on . The more I used it the better I liked it . Now , I finally set it up as Primary System and haven't went back to 7 . By NO means is Windows 8 a " Windows ME or Vista" . I don't have a touch screen either . Definitely has a learning curve but well worth the effort .
On the same token , I'm not ditching my Windows 7 either .

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to LoneGreyWolf
Here is my advice for what it is worth. First download the upgrade assistant »windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···indows-8 to see where your problems will lie. I have a client that paid 50 thousand dollars for a custom app to be made that uses SQL Server 2005. Windows 8 isn't compatible with SQL Server 2005. That would be a costly upgrade for him. I have another client that has a Lenovo touch screen notebook/tablet and found out that none of the Lenovo software provided will work with 8. The touchscreen will never be completely compatible, but a lot of the other software is pretty essential. That rules out an upgrade until the software is updated.

If you find no major problems with the Upgrade Assistant or are willing to pay for the upgrades that might be required, only then consider upgrading. Also check out the improvements I mentioned which someone linked to in this thread. Do they sound interesting and useful for you? I particularly like the Storage Spaces feature. I have 5 hard drive bays and like the flexibility the feature adds to give me redundant storage that spans across internal and external drives. Is that something that interests you? There is no easy answer for you, but I would say that for most people, the headache of upgrading isn't worth the cost or trouble. Most people just want their computer to work and could really care less about all these new features.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
Yep a lot of people will just buy a new computers. Most people wouldn't be upgrading just like that anyway. Especially if they "heard bad things about Windows 8" in the news. I still run into customers going "What is Windows 8?" Wanna know what I answer? It's a new operating system and should be installed with new computers. Seriously.

I upgraded an old 80 year old friend to Windows 8 on laptop a few weeks ago. And showed him how to use it. Use WIN key to go back to start screen to run something. Haven't heard from him since (other than telling me he's having better experience than confusing Windows 7) Funny huh?

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX
there is no win key I looked what keyboard do you have ?

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
Irving, TX
Windows keys started appearing on keyboards shortly after Win95. My keyboard doesn't have one because it's a Model M, which predates Win95 by quite a bit. What keyboard do you have?
--
Think Outside the Fox.

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX
my keyboards kinda new but there is no key with the letters win also every other keyboard I seen at the store has no such key

MSeng
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-08
join:2000-07-13
Ork
kudos:6
There aren't letters.

You need to get up to speed -- as others have mentioned the Win key has been around for a LONG time.
--
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Winkey?

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to MSeng
That post made me laugh... reminded me of the "Any Key".

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=gugbMw4LigY

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Kramer
said by Kramer:

Here is my advice for what it is worth. First download the upgrade assistant »windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···indows-8 to see where your problems will lie.

If you find no major problems with the Upgrade Assistant or are willing to pay for the upgrades that might be required, only then consider upgrading.

I think this is the best advice that I have read. Even if you are looking to do a "clean install" instead of an upgrade (and of course install all your current applications into Windows 8), the upgrade assistant will alert you ahead of time of any problems you may have with the applications you have installed.

If you do have applications that are not compatible, you could then do the needed research to figure out what your plan of attack will be. Is there a newer version that is compatible? Is there a cost to upgrade, or do I have to purchase new? If no upgrade is available, what other applications are out there that would be a good replacement?

It would then be at that point you could decide if the time, effort, and cost to do all that is worth it to you. Only you can answer that question, as everyone is different. Not to mention everyone runs different sets of software dependent on how they use their computers.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to DelmarPip
Every single standard keyboard except the Macs has them.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
Irving, TX
And those pre-dating Win95.

sclement
SClement
Premium
join:2002-06-23
Spanish Fort, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to LoneGreyWolf
My personal experience: I have upgraded systems from XP Pro, Vista Home/Media, Win 7 Home, Win 7 64-bit Ultimate. I have upgraded a mix of clean installs vs. in-place upgrades, including one in-place install via Wi-Fi. I have encountered one modest issue with Java, which took several installs to finally favorably resolve. None were touch screens. The absence of a "start" menu orb took about 20 seconds to overcome. Performance seems to be modestly favored with a clean install but that is my impression and not measured. I do not like IE 10 being different under Metro than Desktop. IMHO you can "save" a system if it has Vista on it because of performance improvements in Win 8. I think the point made in other posts regarding drivers for "legacy" hardware is a real consideration but was not a factor to me. In all other respects, it is a coin toss based on my limited experiences.
--
Loc:Spanish Fort, AL

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to LoneGreyWolf
Absolutely, yes. I'm in the process of upgrading 7 machines at home. My 10, 13 and 15 year olds like it and have no problems and neither does my non-techie wife.

The wife actually likes the tiles to read through News items and to look at the weather. She actually keeps the weather page up when she's at home so it acts like a weather station.

It's a great OS. Stay away though if you are the type that can't deal with change.
--
Awesome. More handouts, food stamps, welfare and entitlements to come. I'm so proud.