XANAVirus
Premium
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV
Reviews:
·Callcentric

[AT&T] Can't connect out to the Internet on AT&T Wireless

Hi,

I'm an AT&T customer running an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I'm having problems using my data connection.

My Galaxy Nexus is running Android 4.1.2, and have had it for a few months now with no problems.

The problem is, I can resolve domains but am not able to browse the Internet since I'm not receiving any packets back.

It was working fine this morning, but then sometime during the afternoon this started and has been going on since.

It doesn't matter to what tower I link to, none of them can get me out to the Internet. Even my Microcell can't allow me to have a working data connection.

I get an 'H' symbol on my phone (HSPA+?), and proper IP settings (10.x.x.x IP, normal DNS servers, 10.x.x.x. default gateway).

I've already contacted phone support and we tried various methods on my phone:
-Reset APNs
-Something with the Sim Card
-Uncheck then Recheck 'Data Enabled'
-Check 'Data Roaming'

I performed traceroutes while talking with support and doing the troubleshooting steps; the traceroutes show that I can't go outside the local 10.x.x.x and 172.x.x.x network that all cellphones link to.

There are no responses from the outside, i.e. AT&T's 12.x.x.x IP addresses where the traffic would flow if there was a route out to the Internet.
My Galaxy Nexus does receive an IP address, DNS servers and default gateway from the network.

What do you think?

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1
Is it working now? If so what was wrong?

If not, does the phone connect to the internet when you use WiFi?

XANAVirus
Premium
Lavalette, WV
Reviews:
·Callcentric

2 edits
said by Lone Wolf:

Is it working now? If so what was wrong?

If not, does the phone connect to the internet when you use WiFi?

No, it is still not working as expected. Neither I nor AT&T know what in the world is going on here.

All signs point to it *not* being the phone, however.

As soon as I turn on WiFi, my Galaxy Nexus connects immediately, gets an IP address (plus the other settings, through DHCP), and immediately is able to browse the Internet.

After multiple troubleshooting steps ended in failure (to resolve the issue, since it definitely seems to not be my phone itself), AT&T is resolute in that it has to be a problem with their network.

As soon as I brought that up, the CSR immediately agreed with me, and has opened up a ticket for their network operatives to look at.
I should know if they managed to fix it, by the 21st of this month.

EDIT: Also, the other phones on my plan have returned today.

I asked their owners if they had data service and they said they had no problems whatsoever, with the exception of when they were out of the service area.

Stranger and stranger, this is.
If it were really a network problem, then wouldn't *all* phones be experiencing this at the same time?

That'd be a lot of phones, too, since this affects my entire town, and all my other frequent locations (no matter where I am in town, the issue is exactly the same), and yet I seem to be the first to report it anywhere.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
USA
That is strange indeed.

Have you tried putting your SIM card in the other phones?

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY
reply to XANAVirus
Go to ATT and ask for a new sim card.

XANAVirus
Premium
Lavalette, WV
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Lone Wolf
I hadn't thought of that before (placing my SIM in the other phones on my plan).

Though it seems I can't do that, cause these other phones are iPhones and therefore can't accept my SIM card.

I'm not sure that a new SIM card would solve this.
It points towards a network issue, but then I can't logically explain why it's only my phone.

None of the troubleshooting steps worked, and it was working yesterday morning.

I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary that morning, just checking my email accounts, responding to messages and making phone calls.
The same things I do most every morning (of course I'm not always making phone calls or responding to emails).

After all, I do get the 'H' symbol on my phone, it's not like I'm not getting a valid IP address from the AT&T network.
I am, and a valid default gateway and working DNS servers (I can resolve all the domains I want).

And finally, AT&T really really thinks this is a network issue on their end.
No one over there can explain it as being any other kind of issue; everything checks out on my phone.

I'm not running *any* apps which affect whether the data connection is enabled, nor am I running any apps which can manipulate IP addresses or DNS servers.

The traceroutes show me as not being able go outside to any network address, even AT&T.com or a 12.x.x.x address or anything under AT&T's control IP-address-wise.
The only working routing is to the 10.x.x.x and 172.x.x.x IP address ranges and I can't go outside that network at all.

I'll give them until their expected resolution date, the 21st of this month, and then we'll see what my options are or if this is fixed by then.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
USA
Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

But it sounds like settings have changed or a bad SIM card. You'll find out soon.

XANAVirus
Premium
Lavalette, WV
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by Lone Wolf:

Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

But it sounds like settings have changed or a bad SIM card. You'll find out soon.

Hey Everybody,

Well, it seems that everything is all right now, since I can now use my data plan like it's meant to be.

Unfortunately I have no idea whatsoever, either about why my data stopped working that fateful week (everything *looked* in order, as far DHCP and DNS working) or about why it has suddenly started working again.

Throughout that horrible week a couple things had remained constant, 1 - that DHCP and DNS were working, 2 - Traceroute refused to reveal a route out to the Internet, and 3 - my phone was not receiving any packets back from the network.

Even so, this morning it all came back working okay, with no one calling me to check (like AT&T said they'd do, during my call with them to report this). I just turned my phone on, and there was the Internet (and I wasn't on WiFi, I checked).

Even my Microcell was allowing me access to the Internet, as well as the towers out on my path I take to my frequent destinations.
I can only assume that they fixed it, but since I have no way to ask them how they did it I have no idea how (but I do know that it had nothing to do with my phone).

I'm very glad too, since this week is Thanksgiving and the ride down there would've been unbearable without streaming from the Internet or Internet GPS or any of those other services you're likely to use in the car.
Still I'm at a loss not only as to what caused this but also what fixed it (I really wish I knew so I could tell you).

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
AT&T wireless blocks traceroutes. Could always do them over vpn, but not directly. I had a similar issue, only DNS would not resolve(cached addresses "resolved" which may be your case). I have seen it on other phones too. Was caused by cell radio going into deep sleep and not coming out right
Now that I pull a level 3 wakelock(wifi full perf, which seems to apply to cell radio on the burst too), battery impact is minimal and it never loses connectivity. Word on the street is some other phones with this issue may need level 4, which does drain the battery more. Mine does fine on 3, with almost no battery impact. Only solution that ever worked for me and keeps my coop calls clear on wifi with screen off. An app on Google Play called Wakelock-Power Manager lets you set this manually and on boot. 5 star app for fixing a phone I likely would have chucked in the trash for the connectivity issues, but now enjoy.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

XANAVirus
Premium
Lavalette, WV
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by Selenia:

AT&T wireless blocks traceroutes. Could always do them over vpn, but not directly. I had a similar issue, only DNS would not resolve(cached addresses "resolved" which may be your case). I have seen it on other phones too. Was caused by cell radio going into deep sleep and not coming out right
Now that I pull a level 3 wakelock(wifi full perf, which seems to apply to cell radio on the burst too), battery impact is minimal and it never loses connectivity. Word on the street is some other phones with this issue may need level 4, which does drain the battery more. Mine does fine on 3, with almost no battery impact. Only solution that ever worked for me and keeps my coop calls clear on wifi with screen off. An app on Google Play called Wakelock-Power Manager lets you set this manually and on boot. 5 star app for fixing a phone I likely would have chucked in the trash for the connectivity issues, but now enjoy.

Nope, those weren't my issue.
It was most definitely not my phone. My phone could still properly connect to the network - it was getting all proper information from DHCP.

The issue appeared to be no working route out of the network, which couldn't have been my phone, it would be logically impossible.
My phone had signal and would report the network type properly (H, HSPA+; E, EDGE, etc.).

It wasn't cached addresses, any and all domains continued to resolve. Even ones I had never accessed before ever, like ones I never accessed through my phone before.
I've always been able to traceroute, as well as ping network hosts.
AT&T never blocked them for me, and now that things are back to normal ping and traceroute are still functioning properly.

I didn't have to install any apps, I continued to use my phone 'normally' throughout the entire week as well (aside from no non-WiFi Internet access).

I simply turned my phone on earlier today and it was working again like it used to, with no modifications either by me or by AT&T (such as a new sim card, etc.).

So, therefore I still say that my issue remains an unexplained mystery (unless I happen to get in touch somehow with the AT&T people who fixed my issue).