uniqs
share rss forum feed

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit
reply to hulltech

Re: Kelly Safari ATR vs Goodyear Wrangler SR-A

Back when I Started out as a tire slinger before going to auto/diesel school. Most of the Michelin's I mounted on good alloy rims didn't require any weights for balancing (a few steel rims also, but very rare to fine one that was true). I just lined up the yellow dot on the side wall with the valve stem and put on the balancer and perfect balance. I had a few customers complain about not balancing them, then I had to take the wheels off and show them on the balancer. I asked did you test drive it to see if there were any vibrations? They replied no, because they didn't see any weights and that couldn't be possible. After proving to them they were balanced without weights they very impressed with the brand. And said they would be loyal to Michelin's from on out.

I have the Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my GTI , and they have been great in the desert heat. So yes you do get what you pay for. I have had Goodyear Eagle RS-A's also, they were a good tire but they wore out faster.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by Beezel:

Back when I Started out as a tire slinger before going to auto/diesel school. Most of the Michelin's I mounted on good alloy rims didn't require any weights for balancing (a few steel rims also, but very rare to fine one that was true). I just lined up the yellow dot on the side wall with the valve stem and put on the balancer and perfect balance. I had a few customers complain about not balancing them, then I had to take the wheels off and show them on the balancer. I asked did you test drive it to see if there were any vibrations? They replied no, because they didn't see any weights and that couldn't be possible. After proving to them they were balanced without weights they very impressed with the brand. And said they would be loyal to Michelin's from on out.

I have the Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my GTI , and they have been great in the desert heat. So yes you do get what you pay for. I have had Goodyear Eagle RS-A's also, they were a good tire but they wore out faster.

Now days the weights are on the inside rim.
Hidden from view. so it's no long tacky to have them.

said by zach3:

Just a follow up on Beezel comments about Michelin Tires.

I worked for Goodyear Tire & Rubber in the late 60' early 70's and they are a fine company. I am also familiar with Firestone Tire & Rubber before it was purchased, also a fine company.

Zach

Firestone sucks now days and are at the bottom of the barrel. Most of the tires have separation problems.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
said by Anonymous_:

said by Beezel:

Now days the weights are on the inside rim.
Hidden from view. so it's no long tacky to have them.

Yea I know have been in the auto/diesel field for many moons.
It also depends on the type of rim used. Alloys without a outer lip have to have stick-on weights. If it has a outer lip you usually get alloy rim weights, unless you specify you want stick-on. There is a difference between alloy rim weights and steel rim weights. The alloys are smoother and clear coated they blend better with the wheels.

Those wheels look like they only have a static balance instead of dynamic. The stick-on weights should be toward the outer part of the rim and a alloy weight on the inner lip.