I see
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21

AlphaOne to Thordrune

Premium Member

to Thordrune

Re: Can No Longer Read CD's

said by Thordrune:

One time I bought a few Maxell CD-Rs, and by the third burnt disc, my LiteOn CD burner was fubar'ed. All it would reliably do at that point was read discs.

I'm confused. Are you blaming Maxell or LiteOn ?
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

Considering that the drive worked fine with a few dozen other discs (mainly Sony), I'm putting the blame on the Maxell discs. The drive deteriorated very quickly once I started using them.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

Cheap DVDs from spindles tend to not last very long, especially if they are stored somewhere to can get very warm (doesn't have to be warm for very long).

Also, did you even bother checking if they worked after burning them? You may have burned a complete set of failures.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to Thordrune

to Thordrune
said by Thordrune:

Considering that the drive worked fine with a few dozen other discs (mainly Sony), I'm putting the blame on the Maxell discs. The drive deteriorated very quickly once I started using them.

I have CD and DVD disks i burnt back in 2003 and they are still good today (but not really using them anymore). I have always bought the cheaper disks. I have used many maxell from walmart (but i check the Media Code if it is not good i take it back). The main thing is to make sure you buy disk that are known to work good with your drive model. I would buy a drive based on what media it was compatible with using this site to look up the details from customer comments. You can look up both Writers or Media.
»www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters
»www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

Some DVD burners will not work good with some Media.

I had one case of Maxell disks from walmart that was opened when i buoght them, it turned out it was a bad batch of disks, I used about 20 without error (i think they replaced the missing ones from the last person that returned them) then the next ten would not burn a good disk (the Media code was a cheap version, known bad). I took them back and got a full refund even with 20 disks missing.