All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to LoneGreyWolf

to LoneGreyWolf

Re: Worth it to upgrade to Windows 8 with no touchscreen?

So I'm sitting here waiting to get into my office (we're adding on; business is good) and I looked at this and thought to myself, "Hey, there's an update tool that checks your PC for Win8." so, to amuse myself, I downloaded it to see how compatible this borrowed Dell Inspiron 1545 is. I think it's 3 years old.

Turns out, the guy who owns it wouldn't be able to install Win 8 due to "secure boot" not being compatible. That's one thing a lot of people may not be aware of when they buy Windows 8.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8

Anon

said by howardfine:

So I'm sitting here waiting to get into my office (we're adding on; business is good) and I looked at this and thought to myself, "Hey, there's an update tool that checks your PC for Win8." so, to amuse myself, I downloaded it to see how compatible this borrowed Dell Inspiron 1545 is. I think it's 3 years old.

Turns out, the guy who owns it wouldn't be able to install Win 8 due to "secure boot" not being compatible. That's one thing a lot of people may not be aware of when they buy Windows 8.

LOL seriously? He can still install it regardless - just click Continue/Install/whatever is the prompt. Secure Boot is not required to install Windows 8.

MSeng

join:2000-07-13
Ork

MSeng to howardfine

to howardfine
Those would be the same people that bought Windows 7 (or Vista, or XP, etc), didn't do ANY research first then find out their favorite program doesn't work or their three year old printer suddenly doesn't have drivers available. It is certainly not unique to this OS.

To the original poster, you have to make the decision if upgrading is worthwhile. Asking the question here is going to get you a myriad of responses in both directions.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to RazzyW8

to RazzyW8
Yeah, I misread what the tool said. It said something like "Your computer doesn't have Secure Boot so it can't work with it..." but 'it' was Secure Boot and not Win 8.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to MSeng

MVM

to MSeng
said by MSeng:

Those would be the same people that bought Windows 7 (or Vista, or XP, etc), didn't do ANY research first then find out their favorite program doesn't work or their three year old printer suddenly doesn't have drivers available. It is certainly not unique to this OS.

When I upgraded to Vista HP had no drivers for my model printer. I forget what model it was now but I was able to get it working just fine by using updated Vista compatible drivers for a similar model. It was really easy. My HP scanner just worked, everything else just worked as well. My upgraded systems were well above the minimum and well above the recommended specs too so there was no problem there.

The only thing that didn’t work quite right was my Belkin n50 and n52 but Belkin was notorious for poor driver support or at least it seemed so from my point of view. Eventually I think they released decent drivers for them but I didn’t really care by then,…I just moved on without it.

I get that people didn’t like Vista I just didn’t see any of the issues that would lend merit to that point of view first hand.