Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav

Re: Hard Drive Deals

I don't even think an Early 2008 iMac will take 4GB sticks, even if you could find one.

I need one or two 3TB hard drives, preferably 7200RPM. If they get down to the $100 level in and around Black Friday, I'll buy them.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Gone:

I don't even think an Early 2008 iMac will take 4GB sticks, even if you could find one.

I need one or two 3TB hard drives, preferably 7200RPM. If they get down to the $100 level in and around Black Friday, I'll buy them.

It will take 4GB sticks according to EveryMac. They need to be DDR2. They say you can go to 6GB, one 2 and one 4.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

Apple service manual agrees with you and technical specifications list 2GB (x2) is maximum supported size. Either Apple stock part number MB413G/B or MC322G/A.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

Apple service manual agrees with you and technical specifications list 2GB (x2) is maximum supported size. Either Apple stock part number MB413G/B or MC322G/A.

Yeah, there are some real weird quirks with some of the iMacs of that era. There is one from 2007 that will take a maximum of 2GB of RAM - either as one single 2GB stick, or two 1GB sticks, but for whatever reason it will not operate with two 2GB sticks no matter what you do. EveryMac might say it will work, but it just won't.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Gone:

Yeah, there are some real weird quirks with some of the iMacs of that era.

There is also an iMac & some MacbookPro's that will support an odd configuration of 6GB, 1x4GB + 1x2GB, but will not support 2x4GB. lol.

And this is with a chipset that an equivalent PC will support 2x4GB.