Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

epub management

So here's the issue,
we have a lot of epub's in the family now... with everyone having e-readers.

We want to have a single source for all our libraries internally, but want anyone to be able to add books to the library.

I looked at Calbre but it seems to be more "one person" oriented, any suggestions?
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20

I have never made use of it but supposedly Calibre does support having multiple "libraries". Each user could have their own library; however I am unfamiliar with how the program stores the actual epub, etc. files.

alexpb1

join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON
reply to Devanchya

You can have as many libraries as you want in Calibre and it's actually extremely easy to manage.

Open Calibre
Click on the Calibre icon on the toolbar (it's an icon of 5 books)
Set the location of where you want Calibre to save your books
Check off "Create an empty library at the new location" and click Okay.
Now anytime you wish to switch between a library, click on the drop-down menu next to the same icon and click on the library of your choice.

jobr

join:2004-10-21
Halifax, NS
reply to Devanchya

Calibre includes calibre-server, which lets you have one centrally managed library:

»manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/cal···ver.html

There is also another compatible server implementation that's supposed to be more lightweight:

»blog.slucas.fr/en/oss/calibre-op···p-server

I've been meaning to install the latter on my pogoplug when I have some spare time.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Basically I want to install an App on my HTPC server and have that handle the actual library, and other machines can add/remove files from the library via HTTP or another app.

I'll have to look at Calibre a bit more, because "AllMyBooks" "Alfe" etc also do not look like options.
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/

jobr

join:2004-10-21
Halifax, NS

That should work. Then you'd install calibre-server (or a compatible replacement) on your HTPC and other machines would access the library over HTTP. For an online demo of the COPS document server, see »cops-demo.slucas.fr/index.php (others would look similar).

kingb71

join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON
reply to Devanchya

drop box?
Works on some e readers too.