share rss forum feed

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to Kearnstd

Re: know the gauges in your car

Partly, yes. But American companies that make things here still have to abide by safety and environmental rules that other companies off shore do not. That adds a lot of cost to the end product. While a company here in America needs to build a multi-million dollar recovery system for production waste, a company in some undeveloped nation just pipes it out to the nearest river.

Now I'm not saying be less safe or less environmentally friendly. I'm saying if anything is to be imported in the USA, it should have to be manufactured to same rules we have. That will level costs, and be better for the world. But that will never happen, and it opens another can of worms, politically and otherwise.

In the meantime, it's really going to come down to the consumer demanding better products and be willing to pay for them. That also won't happen. It's a throw away society.
Expand your moderator at work

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Lurch77

Re: know the gauges in your car

My first car (88 Corsica) would have the alternator go on it on a regular bases...almost yearly. No other issues with the car, when I got rid of it, it has 360,000 KM, about 220,000 miles.

I could replace that alternator in about 15 minutes, very easy fix. Remove windshield water tank (can't remember if it was combined with coolant), release the spring loaded pully, remove belt, unplug alternator, unmount it, then put reverse for putting new one in.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI
That's what i love about my Jeep with the 4.0L. Tons of room to do things like that as well. Makes most jobs easy and quick.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
I have a 96 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0. It's a bitch to change the alternator because you have to pull the battery and battery tray to get it out from the top. The Jeep came with a 90A, I replaced it with a 130A from a Dodge truck. What's funny... that same alternator that came from a Dodge truck equipped with a 360 V8, fit my Jeep 4.0, and would also fit my 94 Caravan w/ the 3.0L V6... just change the pulley and B+ terminal shroud.

I am on my current alternator, which I had rebuilt by a local shop, for over a year now... and that has lived through repeated trips through the mud. I just make sure to flush it out with clear water after playing.

Back in the late 90's I used to deliver pizzas in a 85 Oldsmobile Calais. I was swapping out alternators and starters every three months. (Ever change a starter in a parking lot, laying in a puddle, in the rain?)

Finally, I went to the junkyard, and found a original GM alternator and GM starter. Took them both to the SAME shop as above, and had them both completely rebuilt. Was the last starter and alternator I ever bought for that car.

I had a parts store tell me one time that when a mass rebuilder processes an alternator or starter, that all they do is replace what is bad. Doesn't matter if the brushes are old, or a old diode pack... if it still works, it stays.
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

Keep Calm and Carry On

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to aurgathor
the truck i owned a 1995 S10 nothing had to be removed to change an alternator except the belt, wires and of course the bolts holding it in place. Even the water pump was fairly easy.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
For the alternator, that's likely the case for many front engine, RWD vehicles. It's definitely the same for my Bronco, though now with a slightly bigger alternator, removing/installing one of the bolt is now a PITA.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

hurfy
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Spokane, WA
reply to aurgathor
"I had a parts store tell me one time that when a mass rebuilder processes an alternator or starter, that all they do is replace what is bad. Doesn't matter if the brushes are old, or a old diode pack... if it still works, it stays."

I'll buy that...oops, already did a few years ago. My 3 year-old alt is starting to act up. 3 years but only 4000 miles on it Diode pack is losing it already, both headlights and gauge flickering at idle.

Lurch77
Premium
Oconto, WI
said by hurfy:

"I had a parts store tell me.....

Should have stopped listening right at that moment.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
reply to hurfy
Wow, I went through two replacement starters in about four years with the last one lasting less than a year.

My mechanic said for my specific rather older car, (21 year old Mustang GT) that starters were one of the hardest decent replacement part to get. All most impossible. In fact it was pretty much limited to finding one that is the least bad. (The made in China factor combined with the specific part.)

One side note: I was 135 miles from home when my starter quit, as usual without any warning, on a Saturday night.

The car was towed those 135 miles. My Auto Club Premium membership payed for the tow one hundred percent. (Max with my coverage is up to 200 miles.)

Without even limiting the the topic to just autos or travel I have to say the triple AAA auto club is the single best value and services for the money of anything I've ever bought or spent monies on.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
This I certainly agree with. I have AAA and even though I rarely need it. I know that if my car needs a tow I can get it towed. Parents have it too. My mom was able to get her car towed from Philly to the shop we use in Turnersville NJ. no extra cost just show the AAA card.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports