The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to FF4m3

Premium Member

to FF4m3

Re: Surveillance and Security Lessons From the Petraeus Scandal

Actually, the "save as draft" method that Petraeus and Broadwell were using would probably have never been discovered if her jealousy hadn't driven her to use that email account to harass a politically connected woman who knew an FBI agent.

It is often said that behind every successful man there is a woman pushing him forward. Unfortunately, that also sometimes means pushing him over a cliff.

Any security method (physical or cyber) is only as secure as the individuals using it make it.

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium Member
join:2005-01-13
Orange, CA

Rocky67

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

Actually, the "save as draft" method that Petraeus and Broadwell were using would probably have never been discovered if her jealousy hadn't driven her to use that email account to harass a politically connected woman who knew an FBI agent.

It is often said that behind every successful man there is a woman pushing him forward. Unfortunately, that also sometimes means pushing him over a cliff.

Any security method (physical or cyber) is only as secure as the individuals using it make it.

Actually, it's nothing new. I read about that technique in a fiction book not long ago. I remember thinking it was clever. I should have known better. The feds seem to be capable of most anything when it comes to intrusive monitoring.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Rocky67:

Actually, it's nothing new. I read about that technique in a fiction book not long ago. I remember thinking it was clever. I should have known better. The feds seem to be capable of most anything when it comes to intrusive monitoring.

No, it is nothing new, but in this particular case apparently nobody was monitoring it until Broadwell screwed up and actually sent emails from that account to the wrong person.

I actually find it rather incredulous that the CIA and/or the NSA was not monitoring all communications to/from Petraeus (especially personal communications that did not go through official CIA channels); I would have thought that would be a standard practice.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

... I actually find it rather incredulous that the CIA and/or the NSA was not monitoring all communications to/from Petraeus (especially personal communications that did not go through official CIA channels); I would have thought that would be a standard practice.

I strongly suspect it is more of a standard practice than many realize. But in certain cases, sometimes it's better to just watch and see where things lead... you can turn a lot more information that way, and if spying or extortion were suspected, you have a shot at running the opposing 'network' up to a much higher level. In the black world, much is not as it seems... and that could include the story about how this all came to light. The developing public version of how the Broadwell affair was revealed may, or may not, be the entire story.

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium Member
join:2005-01-13
Orange, CA

Rocky67 to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
I would have thought it would be standard practice as well. It amazes me that the three letter agencies can mix such personal stupidity with technical expertise, but I guess that can be said of the private sector as well.
slajoh01
join:2005-04-23

slajoh01

Does the DoD, CIA, Pentagon use email encryption by any chance?

These leaks would not had been revealed if there email encryption on Pentagon systems.