Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13

Man botches his own circumcision, then his son's too.

OTTAWA — The Supreme Court has ruled that a British Columbia man who tried to circumcise his 4-year-old son on the kitchen floor of his house is guilty of criminal negligence causing bodily harm, aggravated assault and assault with a weapon.

The top court was asked to hear whether his attempt was allowed under freedom of religion provisions.

The botched surgery happened in April 2007. He used a carpet blade that he purchased at Home Depot earlier that day and sterilized. He didn't give his son any anesthetic, just four ounces of homemade honey wine.

According to the Crown, the father lacked the medical skills to perform a circumcision. He tried to circumcise himself in 2005 using a Zhenxi ring, or circumcision ring. It wasn't successful and the father had to be rushed to a hospital.

The circumcision he performed on his son two years later wasn't successful either and there was significant bleeding, which the father stopped with the help of a veterinary blood-stopping agent and paper towels. "The result," according to court documents submitted by the Crown, was "the foreskin on D.J.'s penis stuck out like two arms. D.J. was not circumcised. He was disfigured."

....The father, as a Jehovah's Witness, said he believes circumcision is necessary to "make things right with God."

The Jehovah's Witness church does not condone or forbid circumcision.

The man also argues he didn't intend to hurt his son and took many safety precautions including consulting doctors (who advised him against it) and reading about circumcision online.

»cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2012/···906.html

I know that some folks in the forum say that I should comment at this point, but I am just speechless....

Anyway, this is one thing that should not be tried at home unless by a physician or a mohel.
Expand your moderator at work

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to PX Eliezer70

Re: Man botches his own circumcision, then his son's too.

said by PX Eliezer70:

Anyway, this is one thing that should not be tried at home unless by a physician or a mohel.

I disagree, it should not be done at all.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
said by Thane_Bitter:

Well, many people feel that way.

But I would say that as it is still done by many, IF it is to be done it should be done by a professional.

--------------------------

The American Academy of Pediatrics says that it offers health benefits.
»www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-···ocedure/

The Canadian Paediatric Society last visited the issue in 1996 and did not support it. They are currently re-studying the issue.

--------------------------

But in any event, the guy in the news story is off his rocker.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

+1

It's really quite barbaric as far as I'm concerned.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
said by Gone:

said by Thane_Bitter:

+1

It's really quite barbaric as far as I'm concerned.

It is.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to PX Eliezer70
The AAP says a lot of things; they made some spectacularly dumb comments two years ago when commenting on female genital cutting.

Returning to the story, his defence is that cutting off of parts of some other humans body is a religious freedom; the old "god told me so" story just doesn't fly. For the safety of his family and the community at large he should be locked up.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
He can't even claim religious freedom seeing as how Jehovah's Witnesses don't require circumcision as part of their faith. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, no member of the Christendom (Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, to mainstream Christianity, aren't Christians in case anyone was ever wondering) require circumcision.

jaberi

join:2010-08-13
reply to Thane_Bitter
old god sure is bitter, nothing but atrocities committed in his name....and how much will the taxpayers dish out for this case?