spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28

2012 Popular Science Best of What's New Award

CARLSBAD, Calif., Nov. 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Popular Science has named the ViaSat-1 high-capacity satellite system, including Exede® Internet service for the home, as a Best of What's New Award winner for 2012.

»www.walb.com/story/20120310/vias···ew-award

»www.popsci.com/bown/2012/product/viasat-1

Sircolby45

join:2005-11-26

What a joke! Satellite "Best of What's New!" HA!

Unless somebody figures out how to defy Physics no satellite will be the best of anything.

This is what real internet looks like.

--
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit / Core i5 - 760 @4GHz / EVGA GTX 680 2GB / 12GB DDR3 RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD

DrStrangLov

said by Sircolby45:

Only for hard core gamers, who get lucky at having a locally good provider.

Exede is not Wildblue, and having good DSL/FIOS providers is not the norm.

Move to Alaska, your gaming scores will drop quickly.

Sircolby45

said by DrStrangLov:

said by Sircolby45:

Only for hard core gamers, who get lucky at having a locally good provider.

Exede is not Wildblue, and having good DSL/FIOS providers is not the norm.

Move to Alaska, your gaming scores will drop quickly.

Oh no...it is not just games. It is every single form of internet related use.

Also I am not saying that it should be compared to providers like mine. I am actually saying quite to the contrary. You are the one who keeps insisting on comparing Exede to terrestrial internet providers.

DrStrangLov See Profile

From these results, it don't look like FIOS is too hot when compared to some cable providers, or even Exede.

This statement is laughable at best. Stop spreading misinformation and suggesting that Exede could ever hope to be anywhere near the same league as FIOS. It is uttery and completely ridiculous and misleading. Exede is nothing more than a last resort solution and it will NEVER be more than that.
--
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit / Core i5 - 760 @4GHz / EVGA GTX 680 2GB / 12GB DDR3 RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD

DrStrangLov

said by Sircolby45:

This is what real internet looks like

Reality Check:

All reviews of ACS Alaska (DSL): »User reviews - ACS Alaska

"I have 4MB DSL (fastest available in Sitka). Speed has been dwindling over the past few weeks and now is comparable to a moderate speed dialup."

Diablo III Forum - "I am in Alaska, USA (north America servers) and normal ping for me is 94-108 but with Diablo 3 (single player mode[basically playing on my own]) i have a ping of 314-368. its pretty annoying playing alone and get a lag spike that gets you killed with a HARDCORE character -.-;"
»eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4077728802

RE: From these results, it don't look like FIOS is too hot when compared to some cable providers, or even Exede.

Sircolby45 says, "This statement is laughable at best. Stop spreading misinformation and suggesting..."

The test data shown in this post, »Re: [WildBlue] Girlfriend has WildBlue...check this out!!! , was taken directly from Testmy's site.

Care to support your assertion with factual data? Are you saying land based providers don't use Traffic Management equipment? Cisco is not selling this equipment any more to land based providers? Got a cite Cisco's sales have dropped?

And do consider that Exede is a great improvement over previous and existing satellite internet. Comparisons to land-line providers is not relevant.

Note to Readers- Sircolby45 is a DSL user who has no standing here. He once used Wildblue at his parent's/grandparent's home and became quite upset when Wildblue turned DAMA on. DAMA increases ping time, latency; as noted in above post (Diablo III), higher latencies when gaming brings about frustrations (loosing).

Sircolby45

WOW! First you compare Exede to a DSL provider and then turn around and say comparisons to land-line providers is not relevant. Do you even listen to yourself? Also notice that he is complaining about a ping that is half of Exede on a good day. Hence my point. Latency doesn't just affect gaming. It affects VOIP, VPN, Web Browsing, etc. Basically in everything except downloading latency is going to affect the experience. If you don't think latency affects web browsing then you just have never used a descent connection before to compare. It is no contest. SSL websites are a VAST improvement and even non encrypted sites are significantly faster.

quote:
The test data shown in this post, »Re: [WildBlue] Girlfriend has WildBlue...check this out!!! , was taken directly from Testmy's site.
You completely dodged the point. Can't say I am surprised it is the only way you can continue to try and appear as if you are anywhere near correct on this. There is more to a connection than download speed. You know that, but since you are obviously on Wildblue's payroll you don't want the public to know that.

quote:
Are you saying land based providers don't use Traffic Management equipment?
If you can find where I said that anywhere I will right now admit defeat on this argument and never post here again. Stop pulling crap out of the air.

quote:
And do consider that Exede is a great improvement over previous and existing satellite internet.
Yah and dial-up is an improvement over messenger pigeons.

quote:
Note to Readers- Sircolby45 is a DSL user who has no standing here. He once used Wildblue at his parent's/grandparent's home and became quite upset when Wildblue turned DAMA on. DAMA increases ping time, latency; as noted in above post (Diablo III), higher latencies when gaming brings about frustrations (loosing).
I still use Wildblue on occasion at my parents house and it is absolutely horrendous and all I use it for is web browsing. They have recently started traveling for work and all they can talk about is how awful it is going back to Wildblue after using real internet for a while. Don't try to make it sound like latency only affects gaming because that is false statement.

As per my experience with you in the past I will await your response that goes completely off topic and dodges every point I just made. Maybe in my next post I will pretend to be surprised by it.
--

DrStrangLov

said by Sircolby45:

Hence my point. Latency doesn't just affect gaming. It affects VOIP, VPN, Web Browsing, etc.

Latency is not an issue for my needs; it I was a hard core gamer, it would be an issue.

Judge the equipment via its technology.

People on fast cable still have issues with YouTube loading...People with "super fast" Fios will choke on extremely limited bandwidth sites.

Btw, why are you living in Texas with those slower speed limits? In Germany, the German autobahns have no general speed limit, in most all portions traveled.

Sircolby45

said by DrStrangLov:

said by Sircolby45:

Hence my point. Latency doesn't just affect gaming. It affects VOIP, VPN, Web Browsing, etc.

Latency is not an issue for my needs; it I was a hard core gamer, it would be an issue.

Judge the equipment via its technology.

People on fast cable still have issues with YouTube loading...People with "super fast" Fios will choke on extremely limited bandwidth sites.

Btw, why are you living in Texas with those slower speed limits? In Germany, the German autobahns have no general speed limit, in most all portions traveled.

Since when were we talking about "your needs." I am talking about your insistence on comparing Exede with the likes of FIOS and Cable. Heck if your needs represents everyone in the United States needs you should have been running for president!

Oh sorry I forgot. *GASP!* He completely dodged the point DrStrangLov that is so unlike you!

This is not an argument of whether or not Exede is "good enough" for your needs. This is a matter of you making utterly ridiculous statements such as this: it don't look like FIOS is too hot when compared to some cable providers, or even Exede. Last time I checked you can actually use the speed of FIOS without getting your speeds reduced to dial-up shortly after. FIOS is better than Exede even if it had a fourth of the speed.

quote:
Because if a squirrels eats the moon he will turn into a Giraffe and spider monkeys will take over the roll as Batman in the next Spiderman movie...This adds about the same amount to the conversation as that post.
--

DrStrangLov

Click for full size
said by Sircolby45:

" I am talking about your insistence on comparing Exede with the likes of FIOS and Cable.

I cited Testmy's results....Go to Database, and Provider Results

Today, Wildblue is number seven on the list.

Sircolby45

said by DrStrangLov:

said by Sircolby45:

" I am talking about your insistence on comparing Exede with the likes of FIOS and Cable.

I cited Testmy's results....Go to Database, and Provider Results

Today, Wildblue is number seven on the list.

--

DrStrangLov

reply to Sircolby45

Sircolby45 stated, "This is a matter of you making utterly ridiculous statements such as this: it don't look like FIOS is too hot when compared to some cable providers, or even Exede."

FYI, the comment was based upon consumer test results taken at Testmy. A factual statement.

My statement was founded in reality. Yours has misrepresented what was stated; a distortion of reality.

In any event, your initial comment in this thread was out of context with its focus: 2012 Popular Science Best of What's New Award

And ViaSat-1 has been a large step forward from previous satellites.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to DrStrangLov

Testmy.net is about as good of a source as yahoo answers. Again last week I did a speedtest on a 300mbps symmetrical fiber connection and testmy.net said it was 5mbps... what a piece of crap. There are two reasons FiOS is not listed as being significantly faster than Wildblue. One being that apparently testmy sucks at accurate results for truly fast connections. The other being that FiOS doesn't use proxies and compress data and skew the results.

As for latency, I have spent the last week doing significant amounts of work using rdp to connect to a remote server and using vSphere client from there. High latency makes things hell even though it works. Even a latency of 150ms is undesirable. This is just one of many examples where latency does not affect only games.

DrStrangLov

said by silbaco:

Testmy.net is about as good of a source as yahoo answers...I have spent the last week doing significant amounts of work.

Silbaco, what was design parameters of Wildblue/Exede? Was it advertised for commercial, with a faster connection than landline ISPs? Satellite will always have a longer latency than most all landline ISPs...that's physics. But, when you compare today's speed/latency with previous satellite providers, there has been an improvement.

You want to talk the talk, without an understanding, well, why haven't you moved to Kansas City? You know, Google’s roll-out of gigabit fiber service: »stopthecap.com/2012/10/09/kansas···asier%22

I mean Jesus, without Gigabit service, your provider sucks, right? Is that REAL Internet, as you would say?

Here is a quick overview on speed tests: »Re: speed test vs actual speed

And also here: »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Where can I test the speed of my FiOS service?

If you can only get 3 mbps, and others can get 15 mbps, there must be something wrong with your provider/router/etc. Go talk to testmy.

Like I said, move to Alaska...who knows, you might switch from a poor DSL to Exede.

I'm not impressed with your gibberish...its shows one can not sort out apples from oranges; waiting several seconds for a web page to load is no big deal...waiting for a slight pause when using VOIP, is no big deal. VPN service is much better on Exede...but, if you want commerical speeds, then move to Kansas City now; anything slower than a Gigabit must suck, right?

One has not examined the tech that goes into Exede...laws of physics can't be changed, but Exede's servers are state of the art, and very quick.

silbaco
Premium
USA

1 edit

said by DrStrangLov:

Silbaco, what was design parameters of Wildblue/Exede? Was it advertised for commercial, with a faster connection than landline ISPs? Satellite will always have a longer latency than most all landline ISPs...that's physics. But, when you compare today's speed/latency with previous satellite providers, there has been an improvement.

I did not say satellites shouldn't have a high latency. Of course they do. Obviously a satellite service will have a high latency. You are just determined that only affects gamers which is untrue.

I would like to see how well Exede works for something like I have been doing recently. The latency would definitely be an issue, but the connection would have solid speeds.

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
reply to Sircolby45

said by Sircolby45:

Oh no...it is not just games. It is every single form of internet related use.

I agree. Exede has no place on a list of the best new hardware of 2012. Initially Exede had potential to earn a place on that list, but Viasat's execution with high prices, no guaranteed speed, low usage caps, the Network Management Policy, mandatory leasing of equipment and a 2 year service commitment wrecked it.

The grand award winner in the hardware category is the Intel Ivy Bridge microprocessor.
--
Wildblue Value Pack, beam 31, Riverside gateway

DrStrangLov

reply to silbaco

said by silbaco:

Obviously a satellite service will have a high latency.

If you compared all land based ISPs to Exede (ViaSat-1 + Servers), Exede outperforms most all of them; those AcceleNet Servers are using "fingers" with some 60 mbps or so capacity, and can fetch web pages, and other web stuff extremely fast.

In most all cases land based users are doing the fetching, and in reality, it is a slower process when compared to AcceleNet Servers.

VPN is extremely fast on Exede, its the laws of physics that slow down the process.

Exede's technology is first class state of the art...and compared to most land based ISPs, a better quality, with faster response times.

Again, its the physics, not Exede.

Exede has no plans of implementing DAMA, and in fact, is testing VOIP, and plans to offer this option for resale.

Wildblue, on the other hand, is a slower system; all your fetching was done at Gateway. Previous consumer based satellite systems are slower than Exede, PERIOD.

silbaco
Premium
USA

When it comes to loading webpages, Exede does a pretty good job. But there are countless things that AccelNet cannot help with. VPNs might function okay on Exede, depending on what you do with them. But I know every high latency connection I have used, be it satellite or an extremely congested DSL/cable line, connecting remotely to a machine does not work so well. Especially when you do something particularly graphic intensive on the other end.

The project I am working on now and on and off for the foreseeable future performs optimally on at least 5mbps connection with a latency of ~60ms or lower. Anything that doesn't meet both of those requirements will still work, but productivity takes a hit. I don't have a connection at home that meets those requirements. It is not only noticeable, it is downright annoying.

DrStrangLov

reply to DrStrangLov

Exede uses direct connections to Tier 1 network (internet); most all local ISPs go via intermediates which then connect to internet backbone.

Exede can't change the speed of light, or speed of land based fiber.

Exede is a super fast network (ViaSat-1 + AcceleNet Servers).

Exede/Wildblue were focused mainly upon consumer interest mainly.

If you want commercial bandwidth, talk to a rep about your needs; forth over the real bucks per month.

Please understand difference, consumers do not have business accounts, but some consumers are confusing this issue.

What is the difference between WildBlue Enterprise Solutions business class plans and WildBlue consumer plans?

Business customers demand the highest levels of product performance and customer service. WildBlue Enterprise Solutions service plans are optimized for the business customer. With extensive experience and knowledge about your industry, WildBlue VARs offer network design, enterprise installation management, customer service and other value-added services expected from business customers.

»www.avcllc.com/forYourEnterprise/

DrStrangLov

reply to silbaco

said by silbaco:

graphic intensive on the other end...performs optimally on at least 5mbps connection with a latency of ~60ms or lower.

Linux performs much better than MicroSlow...

Chances are, many of these VPN like programs are fat bandwidth hogs that have not been dieting, like Linux does.

In other words, these programers have taken the easy path, which bloats programs, and pigs out on bandwidth.

Since programmers have no mandate to conserve bytes, then most all could care less about how much is transmitted over internet.

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to DrStrangLov

Your not making much sense DrStrangLov. I never once said I needed commercial bandwidth. In fact bandwidth is not a problem I see Exede has. As a residential connection it is more than fine. The only problem is latency. This is unavoidable. It doesn't matter what technology Exede has or what kind of upstream providers they have, the latency will still exist.

For the record, nearly all major ISPs are either a Tier-1 provider themselves or connect directly to one. Level 3 would probably be the most common tier 1. It doesn't really matter if local ISPs do or not. The latency it adds on is probably no more than 1-2ms and it does not affect the speed of their services. Heck the company around here that is deploying services has a total of 400gbps capacity to their upstream provider and this company only has 15k customers who are primarily residential.

As far as windows versus linux. I am not using a vpn. The setup I am using is pretty typical this day in age and using other programs/services/etc. is not optional.