uniqs
share rss forum feed

clocks11

join:2002-05-06
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

Modems - Docsis 2 vs Docsis 3

I finally decided to take the plunge, and upgraded from the 15meg plan to the 30meg plan. When I made the call, I had my old DPX2100 modem hooked up. After the CS rep change my tier in the system, I tried running a few speed tests with my old modem, and they came back 30meg, 27meg, and then 20meg. Pretty good for a Friday night and a docsis 2 modem!

I then gave her the MAC on the new SB6121, and am now getting a pretty consistent 30meg. I have to admit though, I am left wondering if I needed to plunk down the $80 on the new Docsis 3 modem, or if I would have been ok with the cheap $14 modem I had bought off of eBay 2 years ago.

Does the Docsis 3 modem just get me more consistency than I would have gotten from the ol DPX2100?

baess

join:2011-01-28
said by clocks11:

I then gave her the MAC on the new SB6121, and am not getting a pretty consistent 30meg.

Should that be "now" instead of "not"? Hope so.

said by clocks11:

I am left wondering if I needed to plunk down the $80 on the new Docsis 3 modem, or if I would have been ok with the cheap $14 modem I had bought off of eBay 2 years ago.

Does the Docsis 3 modem just get me more consistency than I would have gotten from the ol DPX2100?

It was said that a DOCSIS 3 modem was needed to get the higher speeds. You kind of proved it wrong. But like you said the consistency would not be there.

clocks11

Reviews:
·Comcast
said by baess:

said by clocks11:

I then gave her the MAC on the new SB6121, and am not getting a pretty consistent 30meg.

Should that be "now" instead of "not"? Hope so.

Yep, I fixed it.

One other thing I want to see, is if I get a more reliable connection. For whatever reason, my connection used to drop when doing a lot of downloading (multiple files at once) with my old modem. I am hoping with bonding, that maybe the connection will be more solid.

Also, I noticed I have 4 bonded download channels, but only 2 for upload. Is that normal?

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:36
said by clocks11:

Also, I noticed I have 4 bonded download channels, but only 2 for upload. Is that normal?

We are currently only running 2 upstream channels in all but one of our markets. The only areas that could potentially have 3 are in Michigan's previously Broadstripe area, but it varies by city (current Knology markets not included). Two upstreams is what you should be seeing. There are 6-8 downstream channels in the older WOW market areas. The 6121 modem is only capable of 4x4 bonding, so 4x2 is exactly what you should be getting.

While some DOCSIS 2.0 modems might be able to to the 30 megabit download speed, there are no guarantees. The maximum throughput of a QAM256, 6.4mhz channel is 42.88mbps. Then you have to take into account many other factors, such as plant noise, other customers, etc. If you did get 30mbps on a single channel, in a real world environment, that's very lucky. A DOCSIS 3.0 modem will bond all available channels, which will guarantee your speed as you will have much more bandwidth available across bonded channels. Also, taxing a DOCSIS 2.0 modem to do those speeds on a regular basis will most likely burn it out much faster.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

clocks11

Reviews:
·Comcast
Thanks for the information Dan. I will likely keep the Docsis 3 modem. So far it seems to be working well, and I seem to hit 30meg consistently.

Since we are on the topic, can 802.11 G meet the 30meg speeds, or do my remote computers need 802.11N? I have a second machine that was using a G dongle, but seemed to be having trouble getting the 30meg speeds. Luckily I had a N dongle to try, and it seems to be a little better so far.

sllywhtboy

join:2001-11-13
Madison Heights, MI
802.11a/g 54mbit are good for about 26mbit throughput. want more? get 802.11n (bonded channels!)

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:36
reply to clocks11
said by clocks11:

Thanks for the information Dan. I will likely keep the Docsis 3 modem. So far it seems to be working well, and I seem to hit 30meg consistently.

Since we are on the topic, can 802.11 G meet the 30meg speeds, or do my remote computers need 802.11N? I have a second machine that was using a G dongle, but seemed to be having trouble getting the 30meg speeds. Luckily I had a N dongle to try, and it seems to be a little better so far.

Wireless is very, very situational. What works for one person may not for another. As far as a G wireless card goes, it most likely will not be able to get 30 mbps download. Factors that affect this is how your network is setup, things like if it's using G and N only, or B/G/N, or A/B/G/N. The encryption type can sometimes affect the speed, depending on what you're using, WPA/WPA2/WEP, and TKIP vs AEP. Some equipment out there needs specific settings to even work. The Xbox S models are only capable of AES encryption for example.

You also have to factor in how many networks are being picked up around you, and what channels they're on, and any other 2.4ghz wireless products like like cordless phones, keyboards, mice, microwaves (yes, the microwave oven in your kitchen puts out 2.4ghz garbage when it's running), etc. For more information about that, check »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromag···_2.4_GHz

Wireless networks on the same channel also are not able to broadcast at the same time, as that would cause interference with each other. If you and your neighbor are both on channel 6, the two routers will essentially be taking turns, which can have a negative affect on your performance. Add more networks to the mix, you get the idea.

802.11n will give you the most possible wireless bandwidth to work with, 2.4ghz, 5ghz or simultaneous (not counting the 802.11ac routers starting to hit the markets). It will obviously help you over come as much as possible. Some routers have a feature to run N and G together, but to prioritize G to help it run quicker, but then you sacrifice performance on N devices. Your best bet is to have everything be the same if possible, then you can switch the router to N only, and clear up some overhead and make your pipe slightly larger.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

raind

@wideopenwest.com
Does anyone have information with the Wow "upgrade" happening in SE Michigan right now...?