join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew to rgbond

Premium Member

to rgbond

Re: Another Edition of "What's Wrong With This Picture?&quo

said by rgbond:

I don't see any cable ties.

Funny you should say this... what I didn't take a picture of was the way the extension cords were ran along the ceiling and beams and florescent lights... all attached via cable ties. And not a single one of the ends was clipped off to make it at least look "nice." I always have a dike tool with me when using cable ties.

Rogue Wolf
An Easy Draw of a Sad Few
join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

Rogue Wolf to drew

to drew
I think the only thing "wrong" that I see is that it isn't already on fire.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to drew

MVM

to drew
There's no justification for anything like this clusterfuck.
For what they spent in that BS arrangement, they could have probably bought a decent used shoebox dimmer pack.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to drew

Premium Member

to drew
Needs more electrical tape.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to drew

to drew
The Fire Marshall in my area would not allow that.

And he would show up every 6 months. For something like that could shut the operation/business down, until corrected. Lots more power than an Electrical Inspector. And he would show up for a re-inspection on the date promised.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to drew

Premium Member

to drew
There's nothing wrong with it besides the mismatch of colors.
Let's be realistic, the total load is well below what the wires are rated for.
Does it look good? NO.
Could it be made to look better? PROBABLY.
Is it a disaster waiting to happen? NO.
Extension cords and power strips are made exactly for this.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to drew

to drew
If the surge strip is UL listed, it has a 15 amp thermal breaker in the red switch. You won't start a fire. Depending on where those orange cords go, RFI, electrocution, or random digital errors.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to drew

to drew
said by drew:

I came into the building we sub-lease for our new church campus for setup on Sunday morning.

Check out the sweet wiring job.

Just getting ready for the Rapture, eh?
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public to patcat88

to patcat88
said by patcat88:

If the surge strip is UL listed, it has a 15 amp thermal breaker in the red switch. You won't start a fire. Depending on where those orange cords go, RFI, electrocution, or random digital errors.

Except that the brittle brass foil rails do not make proper contact with the plugs, and the resistance often leads to a fire.
The UL label is often fake.

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike to drew

Premium Member

to drew
said by drew:

I always have a dike tool with me when using cable ties.

If you are using cable ties in any type of quantity, do yourself a favor and invest in one of these. Might save the next guy some sliced up knuckles too!
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee

said by pike:

said by drew:

I always have a dike tool with me when using cable ties.

If you are using cable ties in any type of quantity, do yourself a favor and invest in one of these. Might save the next guy some sliced up knuckles too!

That's a unitasker gimick tool. All you need is wire snips.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by Critsmcgee:

Actually, those tools are a requirement on many jobs.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee

said by John Galt6:

said by Critsmcgee:

I don't buy it but we can agree to disagree. It might help save a little time if your doing an insane amount of them but requirement? No way!

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Critsmcgee:

said by John Galt6:

said by Critsmcgee:

I don't buy it but we can agree to disagree. It might help save a little time if your doing an insane amount of them but requirement? No way!

Agree. Maybe panel fabricators but general electrical no way
Wonder if John Galt ever laced the bundles before the wimp cable ties were invented?
Jack_in_VA

Jack_in_VA to Critsmcgee

Premium Member

to Critsmcgee
Duplicate post

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to Critsmcgee

Premium Member

to Critsmcgee
said by Critsmcgee:

If you are doing professional electrical work on high-tech industrial projects, you can find the requirement in the specifications for the project.

The other requirement you can find is for torque screwdrivers.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to drew

Premium Member

to drew
15 years in telco and electrical work all across Canada and the eastern seaboard; I've never seen a spec dictate the tools to be used; and I've never seen one of those gimmick Ty-wrap tools used by anyone with actual skill... I'm sure they have a use, as mentioned above, probably very useful in panel or assembly work, but it must be a pretty limited application.

I've laced miles and miles of cable, cut out thousands of improper Ty-wraps and have the scars on my arms to prove it... Dykes or side cutters are NOT the proper tool to use, either - they leave a little tail at the head of the Ty-wrap... Flush cutters or a razor knife work much better.

The quality man I worked for at Nortel had a pair of panty hose with him at all times... He'd run it across the head of the Ty-wraps - if they caught or snagged, that was a safety 'major' - 3 majors on a job, and you got a week off to think about it.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to John Galt6

Premium Member

to John Galt6
said by John Galt6:

said by Critsmcgee:

If you are doing professional electrical work on high-tech industrial projects, you can find the requirement in the specifications for the project.

The other requirement you can find is for torque screwdrivers.

Old time Electricians that came up under a master Electrician had calibrated wrists. God how do you think we ever built or wired anything? Given what I see and read today we did better without the tools because we had trained people vs tools with incompetent workers trying to use them.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

Old time Electricians that came up under a master Electrician had calibrated wrists. God how do you think we ever built or wired anything? Given what I see and read today we did better without the tools because we had trained people vs tools with incompetent workers trying to use them.

That was then, this is now.

I'll agree, though, it all comes down to competent supervision.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by John Galt6:

said by Jack_in_VA:

That was then, this is now.

I'll agree, though, it all comes down to competent supervision.

You also need workers intelligent and engaged enough to supervise.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

You also need workers intelligent and engaged enough to supervise.

I'll agree with that also.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to Jack_in_VA

MVM

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Wonder if John Galt ever laced the bundles before the wimp cable ties were invented?

I have laced communication cables (too many to count) but don't recall ever lacing power cables. I remember learning cable lacing still with organic fiber twine (a special treatment gave it a deep red color) but by the time I did actual installations it was already all waxed polyester.

As for the ty-wrap tools, even the cheap knock-off ones save some effort and produce a more uniform result. I would probably not go and fetch it from the toolbox for just one or two quick cable ties (depending on just how far away the toolbox happens to be) but I'd certainly do it for a dozen or more.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

1 edit

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by leibold:

said by Jack_in_VA:

I have laced communication cables (too many to count) but don't recall ever lacing power cables. I remember learning cable lacing still with organic fiber twine (a special treatment gave it a deep red color) but by the time I did actual installations it was already all waxed polyester.

As for the ty-wrap tools, even the cheap knock-off ones save some effort and produce a more uniform result. I would probably not go and fetch it from the toolbox for just one or two quick cable ties (depending on just how far away the toolbox happens to be) but I'd certainly do it for a dozen or more.

How did you hold them together? The lacing was a little heavier duty but still tied the cables together. Control panels and MCC's were full of laced bundles.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to LazMan

to LazMan
I used to use a Ty-Wrap tool. Besides cutting off the tail, it made sure the tension was correct. I lost the tool many years ago.

My ex-brother-in-law worked for T&B and had patents for some of the Ty-Wrap products.

leibold
MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to Jack_in_VA

MVM

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

How did you hold them together?

I don't recall ever lacing either AC power cable or the main DC bus cables (to the battery backup rooms). As far as I can recall those cables always ran loosely placed in enclosed raceways (usually with removable lids). The only tying of the AC cables was the strain relief at the end.

In datacenter wiring I have placed AC power cables in overhead power troughs (again loosely placed without tying). The only time they got tied down (with ty-wraps, not lacing) was when the power cables ran across an overhead cable ladder. Even then the power cables were not bundled up but tied individually to ladder rungs (side by side).

I'm not saying that lacing of power cables never happened, just that I'm not familiar with it (having never done it myself). I would think that it is more desirable to allow power cables to dissipate heat then to neatly bundle them together (which would allow heat to build up inside the bundle).

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

What did you use before tyraps? I'm not talking abut power wiring but control wiring, control circuit wiring etc. Surely you didn't have a spaghetti bowl of wires going all directions.
Maybe I should ask how old are you. Perhaps tyraps existed when you came along.

leibold
MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

said by Jack_in_VA:

I'm not talking abut power wiring but control wiring, control circuit wiring etc.

The topic of this thread was power cables. I'm sure industrial control systems at that time did lace the wiring but that is not something I ever did.

As for my age, old enough to have done cable splices with hammer and blow torch
PILC (paper insulated lead-shielded cable) telco dry-core cable. The hammer was used to shape a shell from a sheet of lead (fitting it to the size of the splice) and the blow torch was used to solder it around the cable ends.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to Jack_in_VA

MVM

to Jack_in_VA
I learned the fine art of cable lacing from Ma Bell. They had a real hard-on for that kind of shit at the phone company. When they decided cosmic frames would be the panacea to the old MDF, ty-wraps has come out. Those could only be used on poly jacketed cables, so the individual pairs were still laced all through the backside.

I agree about the ty-wrap tool - it's a gimmick. Panduit was literally giving them away years ago and I still have one somewhere.

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

The quality man I worked for at Nortel had a pair of panty hose with him at all times... He'd run it across the head of the Ty-wraps - if they caught or snagged, that was a safety 'major' - 3 majors on a job, and you got a week off to think about it.

If that's a safety "major", my fingernails could be deadly some days.