kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to alkizmo

Re: Another Edition of "What's Wrong With This Picture?&quo

said by alkizmo:

said by Jack_in_VA:

We built automobiles

That took generations of development before being more convenient than horses or trains.

said by Jack_in_VA:

we built airplanes

That were built with flat glass cockpit windows that tended to cave in under wind pressure.

said by Jack_in_VA:

we built rockets,

Most of them failed at the beginning, evetually they did use proper tools, tools that cost someone's house, but hey, cold war and space race had no budget!

said by Jack_in_VA:

we built an Atomic and Hydrogen bomb and dropped them on Japan.

I doubt today's electrician should be measured up to the top american scientists during the peak of WW2.

Yes technical knowledge matters a lot.
Problem is... the tools made it that we don't screw up to learn the technical knowledge from experience

We Americans built many things some bad but the net good advanced us to the worlds greatest superpower. Not bad I'd say. Problem today? The younger generation has no clue if a keyboard is not involved. I know youngsters who can't change a flat tire.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Raphion
said by Raphion:

If that's a safety "major", my fingernails could be deadly some days.

The cut 'tails' on Ty-wraps will cut like a knife... My arms are covered in small scars from all the cuts I've received climbing through cable racks over the years... It is a safety hazard.

As for using twine on power cable, that's standard practice in telco... I'll snap some pics of 500 and 750 mcm cable laced in tray when I'm at work tomorrow.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8

1 recommendation

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
This is the battery room for an OC192 POP that we built for Sprint in 2005. It took 5 JWs 60 days total to build this from empty room to test and commission. In 2007 we went back and took it all apart, packed it up and shipped the gear some place else.

Total time in operation: zero hours

But I digress...

You can see the waxed linen lashing on the conductors.
--
The most powerful weapon in the world is ignorance. Politicians exploit it to achieve almost anything they want.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to drew
That's sprint for ya.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
reply to drew
Ah, the return of the good old days of a fuse box instead of circuit breakers and pennies in the fuse box in place of fuses. When men were real men!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by Blogger:

Ah, the return of the good old days of a fuse box instead of circuit breakers and pennies in the fuse box in place of fuses. When men were real men!

Fuses provide real protection. Circuit Breakers only provide the illusion of being protected. A fuse will always blow, CB's don't always trip. I'd much rather have the old fuse box.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Blogger:

Fuses provide real protection. Circuit Breakers only provide the illusion of being protected. A fuse will always blow, CB's don't always trip. I'd much rather have the old fuse box.

exactly on large fixed machinery its always fuses, as well few people realize you are supposed to "excercise" your breakers by turning them on and off from time to time so they dont weld in the on position

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by telco_mtl:

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Blogger:

exactly on large fixed machinery its always fuses, as well few people realize you are supposed to "excercise" your breakers by turning them on and off from time to time so they dont weld in the on position

That is correct. We bought a circuit breaker test set at work and I was amazed the number of CB's that would not trip regardless of the current imposed on them. We could test magnetic trip units up to 800 amp in addition to the small 1 pole breakers.

A fuse will always blow.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
When a house fire is prevent by mechanical devices, I think of Murphy's law. Imagine if fire sprinkler heads were triggered mechanically. Same goes for fuses vs. breakers.

I wish I could fuse protect all my circuits on my transfer switch (breakers), but that would require a small fusable disconnect in between the circuit and the breaker panel. Yuck.

I blame the people who would put oversized fuses in the slot just because they didn't want it to blow for the fact that we don't have fuses anymore in panels. GFCIs and AFCIs could have easily been put downstream of a fuse.

said by LazMan:

The cut 'tails' on Ty-wraps will cut like a knife... My arms are covered in small scars from all the cuts I've received climbing through cable racks over the years... It is a safety hazard.

I cut the TY-wrap tails with nail clippers. It will be cut nice and flush, but that's just at home.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

A cig lighter (yes, your house and the whole neighborhood will burn Chicago style if you do this) will quickly blunt the tip if it is a problem. If there is a flame, blow it out. You can do the same thing thing to stop certain plastic ropes from unraveling when knots are unfeasible.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Pike I hear what you're saying but "what did they use before those tools were invented?" We built automobiles, we built airplanes, German ex-pat scientists helped us build rockets plus Atomic and Hydrogen bombs and we dropped the bombs on Japan. We built the world's largest manufacturing economy in the world. All the tools, meters, smartphones in the world are useless if you don't have the technical knowledge and hands on training by a master.

Corrected for posterity.

misses the point
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium
join:2009-01-17
kudos:3

1 recommendation

said by AVD:

said by Cho Baka:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Pike I hear what you're saying but "what did they use before those tools were invented?" We built automobiles, we built airplanes, German ex-pat scientists helped us build rockets plus Atomic and Hydrogen bombs and we dropped the bombs on Japan. We built the world's largest manufacturing economy in the world. All the tools, meters, smartphones in the world are useless if you don't have the technical knowledge and hands on training by a master.

Corrected for posterity.

misses the point

Missed the reason for correction as well...

"Definition of POSTERITY

: the offspring of one progenitor to the furthest generation
: all future generations"

facepalm

join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX
reply to kamin
said by kamin:

*facepalm*

Hey! I had nothing to do with this.
--
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. ~ Thomas Jefferson

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to patcat88
said by patcat88:

A cig lighter (yes, your house and the whole neighborhood will burn Chicago style if you do this) will quickly blunt the tip if it is a problem. If there is a flame, blow it out. You can do the same thing thing to stop certain plastic ropes from unraveling when knots are unfeasible.

Your average CO/Headend/Data centre manager may frown upon this practice, given how sensitive the smoke detection systems are...

If you just use the proper tools and techniques in the FIRST place, it's a non-issue down the road...

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
said by LazMan:

Your average CO/Headend/Data centre manager may frown upon this practice, given how sensitive the smoke detection systems are...

He can turn on test mode in the control panel.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to pike
"trades are far less skilled then their predecessors."

I hate this mentality. The preceding generation always thinks they are always far superior to the following generation while forgetting they raised/trained the following generation.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by battleop:

"trades are far less skilled then their predecessors."

I hate this mentality. The preceding generation always thinks they are always far superior to the following generation while forgetting they raised/trained the following generation.

Not quite so. I remember in the early 70's that boys would graduate, go to sears, buy a hammer and saw and became a carpenter, or buy a set of electrical tools and became an electrician, a pipewrench and became a plumber or a few brushes a painter. The apprenticeship requirements more or less disappeared.

So to think the present crop as a whole is qualified is not exactly accurate. The younger generation has no understanding as to training.

Example:

I had my house painted inside a few years ago by a painter who worked off a list of preferred customers. His father was a painter. During the vietnam war he graduated from High school in Richmond and was drafted. He was assigned to Helicopter maintenance so when he got out he secured a job with the Virgina Air National Guard at RIC in Richmond VA.

In a while he decided he wanted to join his dad's painting business. He dad agreed and for 5 years all he did was prep, clean up etc. He never actually painted anything during that time. Now the results of his training was very evident. I know people today who were selling Real Estate before the big bust and are now painting houses and roofing.

Like I posted earlier if it doesn't have a keyboard many are completely lost unable to do routine tasks most males could do.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
"The apprenticeship requirements more or less disappeared."

That's not the fault of the following generation.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by battleop:

"The apprenticeship requirements more or less disappeared."

That's not the fault of the following generation.

That I agree 100 percent with. We are reaping what we sowed aren't we?

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
reply to drew
I don't really see anything wrong with this as the power strip has a circuit breaker if too much is attempted to be pulled through it.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified