Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

1 edit

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

Ubiquity, warm fuzzy feelings....

Every time I install a new Ubiquity radio and want to post an "atta-boy" thread about all those warm fuzzy feelings about what a fantastic value they offer, I read a thread like this one...
»forum.ubnt.com/showthrea ··· ?t=63522

Edit - Ubiquities Motto : "December 21, 2012 just can't come soon enough to save us...."
raytaylor
join:2009-07-28

raytaylor

i still get a semi every time i see my supplier has airfibers coming into stock
Chele
join:2003-07-23

Chele to SipSizzurp

to SipSizzurp
I'm by no means a fanboy of theirs, but at the same time--I really appreciate their existence! They have allowed us to do things in a very profitable way. We have come across their limitations from time to time, firmware bugs, availability, etc, are all very well known UBNT quirks. So, every now and then, I'll speak well on their behalf.
thewisperer
Premium Member
join:2008-01-16

thewisperer to SipSizzurp

Premium Member

to SipSizzurp
the way I look at it its more positives than negatives

as many say: it has allowed many to deploy at low cost and with profitability

you can all chip in to suggest who would have taken their place

Engenius, Deliberant, and what else
jim_p_price7
join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK

jim_p_price7 to SipSizzurp

to SipSizzurp
I agree with you guys, more bad than good. I'm 100% UBNT, and I'm telling you, if not for the awesome price point, I probably would not have been able to get my company off the ground.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

said by jim_p_price7:

I agree with you guys, more bad than good. I'm 100% UBNT, and I'm telling you, if not for the awesome price point, I probably would not have been able to get my company off the ground.

It was highgain antennas before Delib/UBNT that hit a similar price point for those that dont remember or were not around
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01

Premium Member

said by Inssomniak:

said by jim_p_price7:

It was highgain antennas before Delib/UBNT that hit a similar price point for those that dont remember or were not around

I remember
thewisperer
Premium Member
join:2008-01-16

thewisperer to Inssomniak

Premium Member

to Inssomniak
yes but: Richard sold only to those he wanted to sell too

did not want to sell to me: in the end it was a good thing: did not get stuck with all those Realtek radio's

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

said by thewisperer:

yes but: Richard sold only to those he wanted to sell too

I wont disagree with you there.

And for the record I have many of them still in operation.
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01 to SipSizzurp

Premium Member

to SipSizzurp
I think I still have a few out there also. Some times simple really is/was the best.

ponline
join:2004-03-04
presheva

ponline to SipSizzurp

to SipSizzurp
There were a few companies that designed some antennas to fit a radio inside that wanted to hit low price points, but those companies came and disappeared. (some were more original but the price point was still not affordable)
UBNT is the firs big player that changed the game.
Literally changed the WISP industry. I give all the credit to UBNT.
Despite few minor things (software which was never big deal for me it worked no matter the hype about the firmware bugs), few Ethernet burned in first series, but they always worked for me.
All of those WISP's that started before UBNT era know what i am talking about.
We had to struggle with different king of combination to find a good price, i assembled myself grid antennas, custom coaxial pigtail combine a plastic case to fit a realtek radio inside to beat the price and keep my business going, and when smth was wrong... i had to scratch my head.
Now UBNT is a standard. I just hope they keep doing what they do.