Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Tracking cookies (utm) being forced here!

I have a new Windows 8 computer and am on IE 10 (just set up the computer). I came here and was asked about 7 utm cookies! I said no over and over to them. I finally was offered the non tracking 2 regular dslr cookies and accepted them.

However, that didn't stop the utm cookies! Anything I do here flashes 7 utm cookies on my screen and I say no. Why don't they stop? I don't have Fx installed yet. I came here to ask a question in the Microsoft forum...I am stumbling all about on Win 8 and this utterly weird keyboard.

How do I stop the utm cookies from being offered constantly and yet still be able to accept the two usual dslr cookies?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
Do you honestly expect support from the site in this matter?

It is designed in a specific fashion with specific goals, including revenue.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Of course, I expect support. I just installed Sea Monkey (that no one knows if it is compatible with Win 8) and came here on it. I was not asked for UTM cookies. I was given a login box and asked to set the two usual dslr cookies.

It is IE 10 that is doing this here and it should not be.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
reply to Mele20
Do you block Google Analyitics?

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I usually do but on Win 8, I have to figure out how to stop Windows Defender from messing with the Hosts file and then install HostsMan and I have not done either yet. So, Google analytics is not blocked currently.

I simply don't think that a member here, who is setting up a new computer (not to mention on a new OS that is extremely difficult to learn coming from XP), and having to use IE at first, should be subjected to those cookies being forced. That is just not right. EVERYTHING I did here on IE 10 resulted in this site trying SEVEN times on each page to set utm cookies. I could not tell IE to block just those cookies as I needed the two regular dslr cookies to login. I cannot use IE 10 here AT ALL because of this problem.

I don't like IE but that is not the point. I should be able to use it here without being forced to allow utm cookies. I have IE set to ask me about each cookie and to block third party ones. Have I missed something in IE 10 settings that would stop this?
--

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by Mele20:

Have I missed something in IE 10 settings that would stop this?

That I wouldn't have any idea about, as the last IE I tried was 5.2. But since Seamonkey works and IE 10 doesn't, it seems that the problem is an IE 10 issue, not a site issue.
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
But it IS a site issue because everyone setting up a new Windows computer (in the USA) is forced to use IE in the beginning! I came here to ask about something in the Microsoft forum and had a horrific time logging in because of those utm cookies. I guess I should have used this site anon until I installed another browser but I thought it would happen on other browsers also. I was surprised that it didn't on SM.
--

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
said by Mele20:

I guess I should have used this site anon until I installed another browser but I thought it would happen on other browsers also. I was surprised that it didn't on SM.

Not happening with SM makes it sounds like an IE feature not a site issue.
--
Some people don't know what they don't know.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Mele20
Oh, it is VERY MUCH THIS SITE's "problem" to put it politely...insulting all of us!!

I just installed Fx 10 ESR and it is TOTALLY CRIPPLED at this site unless I allow the SPY COOKIES HERE.

I am really, really disappointed in this site. I am a very long time (12 years) paid member and this site thinks it is ok to spy on and track me. GEEz.... This is my home site...and you do this now? Betray me? Betray my trust in this site?

Fx silently set 4 utm cookies because I came here (because until now I trusted this site) before I configured all options so Fx was set to accept filthy third party cookies. I set my options and saw those dirty utm tracking cookies. I deleted them and wouldn't you know...this site will NOT let me use it without allowing those cookies! DAMN!

I clicked maybe 50 times and was finally allowed to type this post with no utm cookies set. But when I go to post this I am sure I will not be able to do so without again wearing my hand out denying the setting of utm cookies.

Evidently, Sea Monkey is so backward that this site doesn't know how to try and force these nasty cookies on it.
--

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
said by Mele20:

Oh, it is VERY MUCH THIS SITE's "problem" to put it politely...insulting all of us!!

I just installed Fx 10 ESR and it is TOTALLY CRIPPLED at this site unless I allow the SPY COOKIES HERE.

I am really, really disappointed in this site. I am a very long time (12 years) paid member and this site thinks it is ok to spy on and track me. GEEz.... This is my home site...and you do this now? Betray me? Betray my trust in this site?

Fx silently set 4 utm cookies because I came here (because until now I trusted this site) before I configured all options so Fx was set to accept filthy third party cookies. I set my options and saw those dirty utm tracking cookies. I deleted them and wouldn't you know...this site will NOT let me use it without allowing those cookies! DAMN!

I clicked maybe 50 times and was finally allowed to type this post with no utm cookies set. But when I go to post this I am sure I will not be able to do so without again wearing my hand out denying the setting of utm cookies.

Evidently, Sea Monkey is so backward that this site doesn't know how to try and force these nasty cookies on it.

said by drew:

Do you honestly expect support from the site in this matter?

It is designed in a specific fashion with specific goals, including revenue.

--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Fx silently set 4 utm cookies because I came here (because until now I trusted this site) before I configured all options so Fx was set to accept filthy third party cookies.

I have been seeing those cookies for several years. I'm not sure why you have only recently noticed them.
said by Mele20:

Can somebody explain to me what all of the fuss is about?

I read a message at dslr, and they make a database entry about that, so that the blue arrows work to only show me unread messages. Of course they are tracking me. They could not provide that functionality without tracking me. They could do all of that tracking with just the member-id cookie. That they find it convenient to also use some other cookies does not seem to be any reason for great concern.

I'm not understanding this paranoia business.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 16.0.2

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
A good bit of the site's income is accounted for through Google. How much... I have no idea, but I'm reasonably sure it's considerable. The particular cookies you're objecting to can be filtered out. A quick Google search led me to several sites with specific directions on how to accomplish this result. Since you're reasonably computer literate, I wont link to any particular solution... I'm sure whatever I choose would be unsatisfactory to you, so I'll suggest you look at all of them and pick the one that satisfies your needs/wants. Several sites even descrribe the purpose and function of each of the _utm? cookies in some detail. I reviewed the explanations and to me, personally, noted no nefarious designs.

I sort of understand your desire for complete privacy, but what you're seeeking is akin to going to the supermarket to shop, without anyone ever seeing you.

The site is a welcome resource for a million other people, but somehow it just doesn't satisfy you. I'm not a betting man, but it seems the odds are against that the problem is with the site, and more likely in your own litttle corner of the world. Good luck with that.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
said by Pacrat:

I sort of understand your desire for complete privacy, but what you're seeeking is akin to going to the supermarket to shop, without anyone ever seeing you.

It's not everyone not seeing you. It's only the Google-guy, who makes huge money from tracking people, not seeing you... Personally I don't want to encourage that kind of business. And that's why I block ajax.googleapis.com host with local hosts file. Mele20 See Profile can easily do the same...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...