Search similar:

uniqs

HFB1217
The Wizard Premium ExMod 2000-01

join:2000-06-26
Camelot SwFL

HFB1217

[WIN8] Problems with USB 3 and Windows PRO 8 64bit

I installed Windows Pro 8 64 bit on my one year old Dell lap top.
After doing this I lost connectivity for my 2 USB 3 ports.

If I uninstall them in device manager and have them re-installed automatically with a reboot I gain them for a quick recognition then after one use they drop out and Device Manager shows them as not functional.

I have tried going to both the Microsoft and Intel sites they both acknowledge that there is a problem with a conflict with Windows 7 drivers and Win8 and say to uninstall the USB Hub divers and reinstall the drivers but this does not resolve the issue.

I down loaded some drivers for Win8 USB 3 but I get a splash screen saying install Net frame 4.51 but when I do this it replied that net frame 4.51 is installed and the newer drivers do not install.
OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you
join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA

OmagicQ

Whats the exact model of the dell laptop?

HFB1217

Camelot SwFL

2 edits

HFB1217

It is a Dell Inspiron 17R N7110

It has 2 USB3 ports and 1 USB2 port.

The one USB 2 port works fine the two USB 3 ports work on a reboot but drop out after trying to use them.

I have updated the BIOs and am using the latest drivers.

Any HELP would be appreciated.

Update

Went to a site called Spiceworks Community and found another person with an Identical Laptop with the same problems.

»community.spiceworks.com ··· -working

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000

Premium Member

Can you describe what happens in Device Manager?

Have you attempted removing all of the third party USB drivers and then rebooting without them installed? Windows 8 has drivers for USB 3 built in to it and should auto detect the hardware and install working drivers.

HFB1217

Camelot SwFL

2 edits

HFB1217

Click for full size
After reboot all okay
Click for full size
Short while later all errors
On a reboot or fresh start the USB3 ports install and work. The device manager show all okay and flash drives are functional.

Over a short period of time it goes non-operational and the drive does not show in My computer.
Device Manager then shows an "!" to the USB3 and the ports and drive are not there or accessible.

I have uninstalled both the USB 3 drivers and all the software. and also uninstalled the Complete USB Hubs and ports and had windows install everything but to the same result it self-deletes after a short while.

The one USB2 runs perfectly

Images above after reboot and about five minutes later.
HFB1217

HFB1217

A member of the Dell Support Forum came up with the solution and that was to reload the Dell Win7 Drivers rather than using Win 8 or the Win7 Microsoft drivers.

Seem that the Microsoft drivers do not install the USB3 HUB to hold the USB3 Host controllers for some reason on my Laptop.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000 to HFB1217

Premium Member

to HFB1217
So it's working now?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to HFB1217

Premium Member

to HFB1217
So, to recap, this was a driver issue and you have a working solution for now until the drivers are updated?

HFB1217

Camelot SwFL

HFB1217

Yes it is working for now and thanks to all for the postings and help.