tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos to Mele20

Numquam oblitus

to Mele20

Re: Tracking cookies (utm) being forced here!

Do you block Google Analyitics?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I usually do but on Win 8, I have to figure out how to stop Windows Defender from messing with the Hosts file and then install HostsMan and I have not done either yet. So, Google analytics is not blocked currently.

I simply don't think that a member here, who is setting up a new computer (not to mention on a new OS that is extremely difficult to learn coming from XP), and having to use IE at first, should be subjected to those cookies being forced. That is just not right. EVERYTHING I did here on IE 10 resulted in this site trying SEVEN times on each page to set utm cookies. I could not tell IE to block just those cookies as I needed the two regular dslr cookies to login. I cannot use IE 10 here AT ALL because of this problem.

I don't like IE but that is not the point. I should be able to use it here without being forced to allow utm cookies. I have IE set to ask me about each cookie and to block third party ones. Have I missed something in IE 10 settings that would stop this?

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

said by Mele20:

Have I missed something in IE 10 settings that would stop this?

That I wouldn't have any idea about, as the last IE I tried was 5.2. But since Seamonkey works and IE 10 doesn't, it seems that the problem is an IE 10 issue, not a site issue.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

But it IS a site issue because everyone setting up a new Windows computer (in the USA) is forced to use IE in the beginning! I came here to ask about something in the Microsoft forum and had a horrific time logging in because of those utm cookies. I guess I should have used this site anon until I installed another browser but I thought it would happen on other browsers also. I was surprised that it didn't on SM.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

I guess I should have used this site anon until I installed another browser but I thought it would happen on other browsers also. I was surprised that it didn't on SM.

Not happening with SM makes it sounds like an IE feature not a site issue.