Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
reply to OZO

Re: Apple Is Granted A Patent On The Rectangle. No, Really

said by Link Logger:

I'll say it again, its time to simply blow up the patent office, they have gone totally 180 and are now totally screwing the very process they were meant to protect (the only thing they protect now is employment for lawyers). We can't get rid of the patent office fast enough.

Blake

After looking at the spirit of the patent i don't think this subjectified example nails it for me.
said by OZO:

I completely agree with that. Patent Office now is not protecting innovation. It's in a business of selling registering patents. The more patents it registers, the more money it gets. Quality of the accepted patents doesn't matter at all. The number of new registered patents does... That's why they accept as a "patent" such things as "Electronic device with rectangular shape". Then next goes "Device with round corners"... Really? That's the innovation? Just think about what's going on here...

Patent Law should be completely redesigned. And the sooner we do it, the better for us and innovation.

This rush as it were is mostly to do with a policy that is attempting to free-up innovation by streamlineing the "first-to-file" portion of patents with the aim of creating business (for both patent office and business alike ) As for the making changes most of the issues are coming from having just made these changes.

President Barack Obama signed legislation Friday that for the first time in years changes the nation’s patent system.

President Obama said the plan, which expedites the patent review process, would create jobs. “This much needed reform will speed up the patent process so that innovators and entrepreneurs can turn a new invention into a business as quickly as possible,” he said.

»www.wired.com/threatleve ··· atented/

Seems like some fine tuning may be in order at some point.