share rss forum feed

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

[Newsgroups] how does one use multiple providers to beat dmca?

I've read that using multiple tier 1 providers is the best way to beat the automatic dmca takedowns.

How does one do that?

I've only ever used 1 provider at a time with SABNZBD+ so I'm confused as to the mechanics of it.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

ramakowski

join:2007-02-17

1 edit

Re: [Newsgroups] how does one use multiple providers to beat dmc

Free trials from various providers might be the cheapest way to learn how/where to avoid takedowns. I don't focus on HDTV, but that category is suffering badly suddenly. Until you find a less accommodating provider, read the .nfo:
"Subject: message canceled by DMCA request
Date: Sun 12 Aug 2012 15:02:00 -0500"
"Subject: message canceled by DMCA request
Date: Sun 12 Aug 2012 15:02:00 -0500"
Even some of the invisible posts appear to be absent.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to juilinsandar

You need to configure sabnzbd+ on the Config>>Servers page, just like you did when you added the first server.

Make the new one or the original one a backup server (each server has some options you can set).

It's very straight forward but post again if you still have questions.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
San Benito, TX
So extra servers have to be set as back up? What about optional?

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by juilinsandar:

So extra servers have to be set as back up? What about optional?

You want them set to backup. This way they are only used when absolutely necessary.

Don't set them to optional. They can be treated as primary and get used when not really necessary. You can blow through usenet block accounts very quickly this way.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
San Benito, TX
Cool. Thanks for the advice.

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
Check your PM. Sent ya some info...

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
I signed up for the sunny 20 for about $4.50 a month to try it out.

I also signed up for newsleechers usenet service trial, but I'm having issues with this one.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
Keep in mind (and this is not to you but everyone in general) that Astra has had huge problems since last sunday during peak (and maybe even non-peak) posting times. Most posts propagating from them have done so incomplete to all other networks. Little can be done except to hope they get it fixed.

I say this mainly because a lot of users have mistaken this as being removals which isnt the case....just one of the old fashioned break downs in usenet communication.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to juilinsandar
I find using block servers isn't quite as good as it used to be.

When NSP's like Astraweb first started adhering to DMCA takedowns they didn't takedown the whole post. They only removed enough pieces so that you couldn't reassemble the file (not even using par's). This left a loophole where you could buy a block of bandwidth from another NSP and use it only to fill in the missing pieces. This way the bulk of the bandwidth was still used on your unlimited provider and you barely made a dent in usage on your regular server.

This has changed. Astraweb now removes the whole thing. Which means if your block server has it, you're download the whole file (not just missing pieces). Which means you'll eat through the block rather quickly.

I'm finding it a bit annoying. Retention of an NSP seems to be a non-issue now because DMCA takedowns occur in less than 24 hours.

I think the best bet now is to try and find providers that are out of the reach of the DMCA. The downside of that is they would be overseas and might have less table connections back to north america.

When my Astraweb account runs out next July, I'll have a chance to shop around and see whats out there. From what I gather now DMCA takedowns are impacting most (if not all) the major providers (as they all have a US footprint). People aren't eager to post ones that aren't in worry that they too could be affected.

sandman_1

They don't remove the file, they replace it with junk so if you try to check and see if all parts are there with a NZB checker, it will come up as 100%. Can you say lame? I'd rather the file be completely removed from the server altogether than have the server give me bogus information.

People have said, "Don't mention the copyright trolls!!!". I say don't mention the provider you are going with instead. Keep that a secret to you and people that you know or can trust with that information. I am more worried about the copyright trolls perusing these forums (and they do) for information that people give so freely. So don't go announcing that, "I got a account with provider A or B", because more than likely they will be the next target to get hit.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to juilinsandar
Something I have done is try to make sure whichever servers you use aren't all part of the same larger groups like Highwinds. If you had three different resellers of Highwinds each of them would have the same files missing. I have yet to be shut out on content the way I have configured my servers. Between Newshosting, Blocknews, and Astraweb I've been able to work around the takedowns... so far. It's not cheap but it's worth the expense so long as I get what I want.
--
#9 Orange wiped out San Diego State outside and the Orange football kicked #9 Louisville's butt inside. Hmmm...

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
reply to sandman_1
said by sandman_1:

They don't remove the file, they replace it with junk so if you try to check and see if all parts are there with a NZB checker, it will come up as 100%. Can you say lame? I'd rather the file be completely removed from the server altogether than have the server give me bogus information.

Don't suppose there are any NZB grabbers that will check the files against the included SFV as they are downloaded?

sandman_1

All a NZB checker does is check to see if the articles are available on the server. So before you could even check with the SFV, you would have to download and decode the articles, because they are posted using yenc.

What is so shitty about Astraweb's DMCA take downs, is that their server says, "Yea we got that article for sure!", when in fact it doesn't.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to sandman_1
said by sandman_1:

"I got a account with provider A or B", because more than likely they will be the next target to get hit.

I don't really think there are any American based servers that are getting around the DMCA.

Maybe some countries outside of that jurisidiction can host unaffected services. If people discussed those would they actually be a target?

sandman_1

Yep, some of the NL providers are getting take down requests rather quickly now since people have been talking about them.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by sandman_1:

Yep, some of the NL providers are getting take down requests rather quickly now since people have been talking about them.

yep and while they really should not be effected by the DCMA the mega upload raid proved the government does not need facts or to obay the law to go after people. Most will be far to scared to risk not removing stuff.

sandman_1

With the Megaupload case, they had a server in the US so that is how our government went after them. If they didn't have a server in the US, then we couldn't touch them. We could ask the authorities in the country to do something but out of our jurisdiction.

With that said, the way our FBI are handling this case is appalling and also troubling. They NZ authorities, with the direction of our FBI, raided Kim Dotcom's home as if he was some sort of drug lord with a personal army. The NZ authorities went in with automatic weapons, body armor, and commando style tactics just to bring this dude in for Copyright Infringement. They confiscated the mansion's CCTV tapes and when requested access to them, they mysteriously disappeared. Some of Kim Dotcom's personal security said that there were authorities there that weren't identified as local, FBI. Anyway this and other erosions of freedom, through enacted legislation and such, in the past 10-12 years should give any American pause. Hell just look around your town/city and see how many cameras are up now. George Orwell was ahead of his time.

longgone

join:2000-12-30
Culloden, WV
Check out Ray Bradbury's novel and the Francois Truffaunt's 60's film adaptation "Fahrenheit 451"...Welcome to the future. "Watch out for The Firemen".

George Orwell would proclaim, "I told you so".

captnhook

join:2001-02-20
NY

1 edit
reply to juilinsandar

..indeed
What was true in the past is still true today.