spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4m3

@bhn.net

Netflix Finally Comes To Linux! (Sort of...)

DIY from Engadget:

Netflix's reluctance to support playback on Linux computers is infamous notorious ridiculous well documented. Well, while the company isn't ready to officially start streaming to your Ubuntu box, you can gain access to its vast library with a specially patched version of Wine.

Fire up the Windows version of Firefox with this version of the software, install Microsoft's Silverlight and voilà -- Netflix on Linux.

Unfortunately, that makes the whole ordeal sound a lot simpler than it is.

Sordid details at site.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
Sounds well and good. At least until Microsoft unleashes the lawyers.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to FF4m3
problem for Netflix is they picked Silverlight. Of course they had to use SL because the MAFIAA wanted something with verified DRM.

And sadly to the entertainment conglomerates. DRM is more important than customer experience of Netflix users. They could have done HD with HTML5 or Flash which is all platforms.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Rexter
YeeHaw

join:2002-11-17
cloud 9
said by Kearnstd:

And sadly to the entertainment conglomerates. DRM is more important than customer experience of Netflix users. They could have done HD with HTML5 or Flash which is all platforms.

I have a great "customer experience" every time I watch a movie, or show that I found on The Pirate Bay.
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
lol. I tried using Pirate bay a few years ago, and my PC got infected with malware/virus. It didn't come from the torrent, so I think it was a script on the site.
Since then, I've avoided Pirate Bay.
Now that ISPs are "monitoring" such traffic, I have been leery of using torrents.
But I know what ya mean. No jumping through menus or waiting for ads to play out so you can watch the movie.

I really need to learn how to rip dvds and blu-rays. So I can store the disks and just stream then from a hard drive as needed. I finally got a router that will allow me to have a USB network storage device attached to it.
Though, for what ever reason, I'm thinking even ripping DVDs/blu rays for my own use is a gray area.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

tld

join:2002-12-19
reply to FF4m3
This sort of thing bothers me as much as all the folks out there using other kludges like IR blasters to "get around" anti-consumer crap. When you do that sort of stuff you're supporting companies with blatant anti-consumer policies, and thereby telling them that it's OK. Please folks...vote with your wallets. If netflix insists on making you jump through hoops like this, DON'T buy from them...especially given the requirement for that Godless Silverlight.

This is the very reason I've been using only OTA for my TV for over 20 years. Right now I'm recording all my OTA HD TV on my MythTV system with no hokey crap or work arounds involved...and when CV calls to ask why I don't have a TV package, I tell them exactly why in painful detail .

Tom

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

problem for Netflix is they picked Silverlight. Of course they had to use SL because the MAFIAA wanted something with verified DRM.

Netflix is available on Roku, The Boxee Box, Android, and other Linux platforms. It can also be used on Chromebooks which just run Chrome on Ubuntu. Also, Youtube and Google sell official content from providers and deliver it over Flash.
I think Netflix's failure to offer their product on Linux has more to do than Silverlight or DRM as it seems they have fully been able to offer it on many Linux platforms, and other providers are delivering content without Silverlight just fine.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
Could be it that some studio exec is forcing Netflix to use silverlight?
That's what I'm thinking.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Silverlight is only used on Windows platforms as far as I know; other streams are used for media streamers (e.g. Roku, Boxee which use CE Linux, not desktop Linux) and for iOS devices.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Maxo
but arent those considered "sealed" platforms? as in you have to be inside the netflix app.

Naturally Netflix could just make an app for linux and problem solved.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

2 recommendations

said by Kearnstd:

Naturally Netflix could just make an app for linux and problem solved.

Been wonderin' that for years now.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Kearnstd
Interesting how they have an app on Roku, Android/IOS devices, Playstation. But yet when it comes to the OS itself.... they can't seem to manage it.
Pretty strange.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
As I posted above, it's not the same OS. Those devices use CE Linux which is NOT the same as desktop Linux...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

1 recommendation

reply to Kearnstd
It's hard to do proper DRM on Linux. The MPAA also thinks that Linux users are just a bunch of super hackers that have nothing better to do than sit around cracking DRM. They just see it as too risky.
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA

1 recommendation

said by Rexter:

It's hard to do proper DRM on Linux. The MPAA also thinks that Linux users are just a bunch of super hackers that have nothing better to do than sit around cracking DRM. They just see it as too risky.

The problem is how do you trust the environment. To have DRM you need to be able to trust that the platform isn't going to do anything that undermines the DRM. You would need to trust the kernel, the drivers, the DE, everything required to secure the video and audio and present it to the user. Netflix would basically have to make their own distro.
--
...Who, What, When, Where, How... Why? Why Not?

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
It's idiotic. You don't need to trust the environment if you trust your business model. Put the customer first, have a great product at a fair price. Provide good service, and a great customer experience, you will make money. Spend all your time, and resources worrying about who might be getting one over on you, and you'll loose money.
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
said by Rexter:

It's idiotic. You don't need to trust the environment if you trust your business model. Put the customer first, have a great product at a fair price. Provide good service, and a great customer experience, you will make money. Spend all your time, and resources worrying about who might be getting one over on you, and you'll loose money.

Idiotic is the best way to describe the entertainment industry. They are the embodiment of anti-consumer. This is because their industry has zero competition. You cannot say get Game of Thrones from anyone else legally other than HBO or someone who they have licensed.

On the other hand I can goto any supermarket and get a box of cereal. As such the supermarkets have to want my business rather than say me being legally required to go to Shop Rite.
--