Search similar:

uniqs

TCO1962
Premium Member
join:2001-07-02
Champaign, IL

TCO1962

Premium Member

Unable to open file because I don't have permission!?

Not sure what's up with this but some of my images aren't working (or letting me see them). I get this notification but going to "get info" isn't helping me any. Just started this recently and seems to be getting worse.

A little help please?
Thanks!

Edit..It appears I can't open much of anything now!

tommy3rd
I Am Nuckin Futs
Premium Member
join:2000-03-10
Clifton, NJ

tommy3rd

Premium Member

go to disk utility and repair. it should fix the permissions.

TCO1962
Premium Member
Champaign, IL

1 edit

TCO1962

Premium Member

The more I go to other folders of other images the more I'm finding I can't open crap! I can see the preview thumb in the get info box but can't figure out a fix. What the hell!? How does this happen anyway? This is my first big beef with MAC since we all converted from windows..

Edit...this reminds me of Windows btw!

Looking for a couple more replies before embarking on the first suggestion.
TCO1962

TCO1962

Premium Member

Update!

Tried a reboot and things seem to be working! Hmmm...Don't like this "buggy" business.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

Repairing permissions won't hurt anything. Sometimes the permissions get a little wonky.

TCO1962
Premium Member
Champaign, IL

TCO1962

Premium Member

I see. How do you do that (yes, I'm being lazy)? I've not had to do anything "extra" since the family converted to MAC! They just work!

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to TCO1962

to TCO1962
I don't own a Mac but Macs are Unix. Others will give better advice about this but its those permission levels that will keep you protected.

One of the first things you may need to learn is the difference between "root" and a "user" and that one user cannot access files and directories of other users without getting proper permission.

Setting and giving permissions is easy but I'll leave this to those who know better about how Macs deal with this.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to TCO1962

Premium Member

to TCO1962
said by TCO1962:

I see. How do you do that (yes, I'm being lazy)? I've not had to do anything "extra" since the family converted to MAC! They just work!

Read the first reply, it is straight forward.

TCO1962
Premium Member
Champaign, IL

TCO1962

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

said by TCO1962:

Read the first reply, it is straight forward.

Will do. Mac is apparently "human" too eh? It was a good run of zero problems while it lasted.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

I'm not so sure a "repair" is what's needed but, then again, I don't know what I'm talking about.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by howardfine:

I'm not so sure a "repair" is what's needed but, then again, I don't know what I'm talking about.

There are some differences between OSX and Linux, but repairing permissions in OS X is like fsck -a in Linux. Doesn't have anything to do with making oneself root or not, but rather allow files to be accesses that should be allowed to be accessed, like a downloaded jpeg. Rebooting can fix some issues, as author noted, but it's still good to repair the disk from time to time. It's just usually a first step when the system is acting funky. To the original author, it's better to run repair while on restore disk (if available) or the Disk Utility booted from the DVD/USB install.
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to TCO1962

to TCO1962
Repairing permissions from disk utility does not affect anything in your home folder (where almost all of the stuff you create or add to the computer other than apps go). If you are having issues opening that sort of thing you need to boot to Recovery HD and Reset Home Folder Permissions and ACLs.

See this article for information on how to do that:
»support.apple.com/kb/HT4761

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to J E F F4

MVM,

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

said by howardfine:

There are some differences between OSX and Linux, but repairing permissions in OS X is like fsck -a in Linux.

No, it isn't. fsck does filesystem level checks, not permissions (AFAIK). Likewise, on OS X, you can run Disk Utility's Verify or Repair Disk operations, which actually run fsck_hfs.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

+1