uniqs

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer to LoneGreyWolf

Mod

to LoneGreyWolf

Re: Worth it to upgrade to Windows 8 with no touchscreen?

Here is my advice for what it is worth. First download the upgrade assistant »windows.microsoft.com/en ··· indows-8 to see where your problems will lie. I have a client that paid 50 thousand dollars for a custom app to be made that uses SQL Server 2005. Windows 8 isn't compatible with SQL Server 2005. That would be a costly upgrade for him. I have another client that has a Lenovo touch screen notebook/tablet and found out that none of the Lenovo software provided will work with 8. The touchscreen will never be completely compatible, but a lot of the other software is pretty essential. That rules out an upgrade until the software is updated.

If you find no major problems with the Upgrade Assistant or are willing to pay for the upgrades that might be required, only then consider upgrading. Also check out the improvements I mentioned which someone linked to in this thread. Do they sound interesting and useful for you? I particularly like the Storage Spaces feature. I have 5 hard drive bays and like the flexibility the feature adds to give me redundant storage that spans across internal and external drives. Is that something that interests you? There is no easy answer for you, but I would say that for most people, the headache of upgrading isn't worth the cost or trouble. Most people just want their computer to work and could really care less about all these new features.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8

Anon

Yep a lot of people will just buy a new computers. Most people wouldn't be upgrading just like that anyway. Especially if they "heard bad things about Windows 8" in the news. I still run into customers going "What is Windows 8?" Wanna know what I answer? It's a new operating system and should be installed with new computers. Seriously.

I upgraded an old 80 year old friend to Windows 8 on laptop a few weeks ago. And showed him how to use it. Use WIN key to go back to start screen to run something. Haven't heard from him since (other than telling me he's having better experience than confusing Windows 7) Funny huh?
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned)

there is no win key I looked what keyboard do you have ?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Windows keys started appearing on keyboards shortly after Win95. My keyboard doesn't have one because it's a Model M, which predates Win95 by quite a bit. What keyboard do you have?
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned)

my keyboards kinda new but there is no key with the letters win also every other keyboard I seen at the store has no such key

MSeng

join:2000-07-13
Ork

MSeng

There aren't letters.

You need to get up to speed -- as others have mentioned the Win key has been around for a LONG time.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

Winkey?

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to 91862239

Anon

to 91862239
Every single standard keyboard except the Macs has them.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to MSeng

Premium Member

to MSeng
That post made me laugh... reminded me of the "Any Key".

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· bMw4LigY

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to Kramer

Premium Member

to Kramer
said by Kramer:

Here is my advice for what it is worth. First download the upgrade assistant »windows.microsoft.com/en ··· indows-8 to see where your problems will lie.

If you find no major problems with the Upgrade Assistant or are willing to pay for the upgrades that might be required, only then consider upgrading.

I think this is the best advice that I have read. Even if you are looking to do a "clean install" instead of an upgrade (and of course install all your current applications into Windows 8), the upgrade assistant will alert you ahead of time of any problems you may have with the applications you have installed.

If you do have applications that are not compatible, you could then do the needed research to figure out what your plan of attack will be. Is there a newer version that is compatible? Is there a cost to upgrade, or do I have to purchase new? If no upgrade is available, what other applications are out there that would be a good replacement?

It would then be at that point you could decide if the time, effort, and cost to do all that is worth it to you. Only you can answer that question, as everyone is different. Not to mention everyone runs different sets of software dependent on how they use their computers.

--Brian

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to RazzyW8

Premium Member

to RazzyW8
And those pre-dating Win95.