join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
reply to Aaerox

Re: [Extreme Plus] New Speeds Effective December 1st

Looks like new speeds are active in Brantford now too. Just "downgraded" from 75/2 to 45/4

Live chat says no 45/7 yet though

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

2 edits

said by Ree:

Just "downgraded" from 75/2 to 45/4

IMHO 75/2, 75/10, 150/10 are for multi user households and that 1% that truly need all that ethernet horsepower......... don't know why Rogers doesn't offer a 250/125 tier that maxes out these theoretical 300/150mbps 8x4 D3 Gateways.

Apparently, Rogers states in their latest CRTC submission that 2/3's of their residential internet customers are still using D2 modems with corresponding D2 speed packages. Go figure............

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

2 edits

250/125 would be unrealistic if a node only has about 304/108 shared by 400-500 houses with possibly 50% or more subs with TPIA, which gives around 250+ modems and a ton of e-MTAs as well (RHP).

Lets consider upload speed first.
250+ modems have to share 108mbps as of now. Rogers used to sell at 7% of total node upload speed for the highest tier (which meant 2mbps because only 1 upload channel of 27mbps). Now with 108mbps (4 up channels) they have a ~10% rate, with means 10mbps for the highest tier. If rogers didn't maintain this rate YOU would be first person here to complain about "slow speed" and "degraded internet experience". Trust me its absolutely necessary to have this low rate because each modem gets a very very very small time slot to upload stuff to the node. If said modem wanted to upload at 108mbps that would take too much of the time slot hence other modems won't get upload time slots in a timely manner, then people would whine and complain of "slow speeds" and "super high latency". If there was only one modem on the node then and only then would 108mbps upload would be feasible because that one modem can have all time slots. As more modems and e-MTAs come online each modem's time slot gets smaller and smaller. Hence rogers has to maintain a 7-10% ratio. Until you learn how docsis works you will NEVER be able to appreciate what rogers is trying to accomplish here.

Now lets look at download speed.
250+ modems have to share 304mbps. Let say I get that 250mpbs tier and I want to download at 250mbps and I fire up my torrent client and set up my connections to 1000 connection and I'm able to get 300 seeds and downloading at 250mbps for let say a 15GB distro on a private tracker. Everything is fine, in fact its sunny outside and its a Tuesday afternoon thus no other modem noticed that one modem hogged 82% of the node because hardly anyone was using their internet.

Now what happens if I did the same thing on Friday/Saturday/Sunday evening when everyone is using their internet. If one modem get 250mbps then the rest only get 54mbps, that won't happen because of QoS since my 250mbps will go down to 100-150mbps as 200mbps will be used by other modems. Thus rogers has to maintain 150mbps because anything higher will degrade performance for the higher tiers during peak time. It all comes down to, if I'm paying for 250mbps then I want 250mbps 24/7 but that can't happen but 150mbps can happen 24/7 more often then not. Thus 150mbps it is!

Again, until you learn how all this works you will never appreciate docsis for what its worth.

eeeaddict

join:2010-02-14

Is it really that small? (304)
If it is because of only 8 channels I thought they would have more than 8 available, also when SDV helps free things up what max speeds will there be then?

technocar2

Brampton, ON

said by eeeaddict:

Is it really that small? (304)
If it is because of only 8 channels I thought they would have more than 8 available, also when SDV helps free things up what max speeds will there be then?

I pretty sure it 8 channels for now. But like you said they can free some channel and use them for docsis if they wanted to and increase the max speed.

elitefx

London, ON
reply to technocar2

said by technocar2:

250/125 would be unrealistic if a node only has about 304/108 shared by 400-500 houses with possibly 50% or more subs with TPIA, which gives around 250+ modems and a ton of e-MTAs as well (RHP).

Thanks for the info. Don't get the node congestion thing though.

I think in terms of electricity. High voltage transformed down in steps to household current. Why can't Rogers just double/triple their output to each node so there's more than enough for each household to use at max speed simultaneously? OR, why can't they use bigger more powerful nodes?

As far as 250/125 goes I was just throwing it out there. Seems a waste to have a modem @300/150 theoretical topping out at 150/10...........

eeeaddict

join:2010-02-14
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Distributel Cable

personally I think that unless the "more powerful" node isn't much cheaper they would be better off spending any upgrade money on ftth
remember more than 50 down and 10 up is useless for most people, and upgrading cable to handle more than that for everyone would be adding more to everyones bill while only people like us would see any benefit.

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit

said by eeeaddict:

personally I think that unless the "more powerful" node isn't much cheaper they would be better off spending any upgrade money on ftth

Yea, you would have to know exactly how Rogers distributes the internet to determine exactly how many MAIN nodes would need to be upgraded to avoid smaller/neighborhood node congestion. It may be a far less expensive upgrade than than rewiring the whole network with fiber and see us well into the next generation of Docsis 3.1 and beyond..........Aint got a clue but I'm sure it's worth a consideration.

We have to get to a point where node congestion is no longer a factor..........

technocar2

Brampton, ON

1 edit
reply to elitefx

Basically there are two kinds of congestion on docsis.

One is the usual type, where there is 304mbps on the node and too many people are online and everyone gets slow speed.

The second kind of congestion is temporal. Meaning your modem is not online all the time. Its only online for a fraction of a second per second. And its in this fraction of a second that a modem can upload stuff. The more modems there are the smaller this fraction of second becomes; this is know as the time slot. This is what makes the upload to max of 10mbps because it takes a fraction of a second to upload 10mb vs 108mb will take 1 whole second with 4 channels. 10mb with 4 channel takes only a fraction of a second.

How it works is a node can only receive data from one modem at a time. Therefore the node listens to each modem for only a fraction of second and in that fraction of a second the modem can upload whatever it wants but since its only a fraction of a second its limited to 10mbps or whatever the time slot duration is based on the # of modems.

If the node only listened to just one modem then the modem can upload stuff for the full 1 second (so 108mbps) but since there a more than one modem, none of the modems gets 1 full second, they each get a fraction of a second to upload and this is repeated every second. This is pretty much a modem congestion, the more modems there are the smaller the time slot is for each modem and thus a lower upload speed per modem.

Think of it this way, you can only upload as much as the node is willing to listen to you. If the node wants to listen to you for 1 full second then its 108mbps. If the node wants to listen to your modem for 5/54 of a second then its 10mbps and the rest of the remaining bit of that second the node will listen to other modems.

clementlo

join:2005-06-11
Scarborough, ON

1 edit

I am on Extreme... my upload speed still 1 MB and hasn't upgrade yet... I guess I have to wait till December 1 before I can call and ask?

I am in Scarborough, near McCowan and Steeles area.