Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

[iPhone] Music gone

So I was listening to my iPhone as I was shopping today. I paused it when I got to the cashier. After I wanted to resume listening and there was no content in the library. No music, all the playlists either.

I checked the usage tab and indeed I have 20gb free, where it was 5gb free with all my music there. All apps are here so is my camera roll.

I Rebooted the phone and it's still gone. Anyone seen anything like this? I'll try to resync it when I get home.
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

This is bizarre... So I got home, plug it into iTunes... iTunes says i have 16GB of music on the iPhone... My iPad, which shares the same library has everything on it just fine...

I deselected Sync Music, and selected it again and it's supposedly starting to sync the music again... God this is gonna take a while 4000 songs with the re-encode to 128k option...

Bootes
Premium
join:2005-01-28
New York, NY
reply to HiVolt

Had the same exact problem on my iPad a couple days ago, except that only a few songs would show up. I ended unchecking sync music, synced, rechecked to sync music and everything went back to normal.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

Yeah definitely strange. Never had that happen before on Any iPhones or iPods.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1

You didn't happen to start up a VPN? Was your phone set to iTunes Match only?

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by J E F F:

You didn't happen to start up a VPN? Was your phone set to iTunes Match only?

I dont have VPN, I don't have iTunes match. It's simply a local library on my Mac mini. I was listening to music, must have heard at least 5 songs while at the store, so obviously they were there... I paused it (with the earbud remote button) then after i wanted to resume, but nothing would play... I pulled out the phone from my pocket when it wouldnt play, went to the music app and saw there was nothing there...

Weidest thing ever...
--

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

Pocket delete perhaps?

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

said by owlyn:

Pocket delete perhaps?

Not sure I know what you mean...

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

If your screen wasn't locked, it's possible that somehow the songs were deleted by random touch(es).
--
♬ Music is life ♬

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by darcilicious:

If your screen wasn't locked, it's possible that somehow the songs were deleted by random touch(es).

LOL, no...

I also don't know of a way of deleting songs from within the iPhone itself... AFAIK it has to be done thru iTunes, at least if you sync it with iTunes via USB and not use iCloud... I don't use iCloud for music backup.
--

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

One way is via Settings>>General>>Usage>>Music regardless of how you get your music onto the iPhone.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by darcilicious:

One way is via Settings>>General>>Usage>>Music regardless of how you get your music onto the iPhone.

Oh, interesting... Well I had no idea about it, and definitely did not do that without taking the phone out of my pocket in the minute or so i had the iphone paused...

Bootes
Premium
New York, NY
reply to HiVolt

I definitely didn't pocket delete my music, don't use a VPN, and don't have iTunes Match.

iTunes would claim that I was still using the 20GB of space for music, but only like 4 songs out of my hundreds would actually appear on my iPad.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

Sounds like they are still really there, but for some reason, they just won't show. Don't know anything about the iPads, but if this happened on an iPhone, I would suggest rebooting it.

Bootes
Premium
New York, NY
reply to HiVolt

Well an iPad is pretty much the exact same thing, but with a bigger screen.

Rebooting didn't work. I tried multiple times. Turning off music syncing, which erased all my music on the iPad, and then turning it back on fixed it.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Bootes:

Rebooting didn't work. I tried multiple times. Turning off music syncing, which erased all my music on the iPad, and then turning it back on fixed it.

Yep, same thing I had to do.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

said by darcilicious:

Oh, interesting... Well I had no idea about it, and definitely did not do that without taking the phone out of my pocket in the minute or so i had the iphone paused...

Just to note, you can also delete songs by swiping from left to right on an item, that will make a Delete button appear.
--
less talk, more music

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Ctrl Alt Del:

Just to note, you can also delete songs by swiping from left to right on an item, that will make a Delete button appear.

Hah! cool... Do you know if doing this will prevent this particular song from being put back when you sync?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by HiVolt:

said by Ctrl Alt Del:

Hah! cool... Do you know if doing this will prevent this particular song from being put back when you sync?

No it won't. What ever you tell iTunes to sync to your iDevice will get sync'd/
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

If you have iTunes set to sync automatically I believe the song will be put back on next sync. If you checked the "Manually manage music" then the song does not return.

Also, the swipe to delete trick works elsewhere in iOS. Try it in the Messages list, Mail list, etc.
--
less talk, more music

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to HiVolt

Most likely the iPhone was updating the play counts or something when you paused it and the library file got corrupted. Files were all still there taking up space, just not accessible.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.