how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

landry98

join:2001-08-31
Red Stick

wireless/wifi tablet gift suggestions

I am shopping for a wireless + wifi tablet for a senior who is hearing impaired in addition to cognitive issues from a stroke that has left them with difficulty reading. they have an Apple Ipad5 (wifi only) at present which is used for surfing. I was thinking of purchasing something similar that includes texting capability to allow them to stay in touch with relatives. I'm guessing the texting feature requires a wireless device & plan? We tried a Android smart phone which didn't work because screen was too small and they kept locking it up. Hoping someone here more experienced can suggest a brand/model and wireless plan that will allow texting in addition to surfing:

1. tablet size, larger the better
2. MAC operating system
3. simple to use texting with popups+ for incoming messages
4. wifi capability but with wireless for occasional day trips
5. bluetooth capable

thanks Landry

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

Sounds like you need to upgrade to an iPad with a cellular plan.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

landry98

join:2001-08-31
Red Stick

That was my thought. I don't think they will be able to operate an android device w/o problem. What texting app and which wireless plan?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

I'm not entirely sure but I would assume that if the iPad has a cellular plan, it comes with Apple's built-in text app (iPhones do at any rate).

As far as which plan, you'll need to research the options with various carriers...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to landry98

I’m a little unclear on what you are referring to when you mention that they already have an iPad5 (WiFi only) since the most recent version of the iPad is the new iPad 4 and the iPad mini.

In any event, if they already have an iPad then you might be able to simply get away with buying a portable hotspot (MiFi like device) with accompanying plan. The drawback there is that its another device to deal with and keep charged but it’s a simple easy solution. For the iPad, I think the only real differnece between WiFi only models and cellular + WiFi models beyond the obvious is that cellular models have GPS built in.

»www.walmart.com/ip/TruConnect-In···20665535

»www.walmart.com/ip/Virgin-Sierra···21082068

»www.walmart.com/ip/Novatel-Mi-Fi···22032675

»www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-4G-M···20976915

»www.walmart.com/ip/Cricket-CROSS···22038424

Netzero even has a free 1yr option:

»www.engadget.com/2012/03/19/netz···ands-on/

»www.netzero.net/wireless/

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
reply to landry98

I think you should go to the apple store and ask, can you change your iPad 4(aka display with retina. A6X chip) with cellular one instead. You will get to choose 1 out of the 3 network, AT%T, Sprint, and Verizon. I bet you have to pay an x amount to upgrade if they let you. »www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Don't for get to back up all your stuff.

Maybe give them a call: 1-800-my-apple