Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Robrr

Re: Gasoline Prices Below 99 Cents/Litre By Christmas

said by Robrr:

Actually the issue described is common with EVERY automatic. If the drivers holds the gas to the floor, the ECU and TCM will decide not to shift until red-line. You have to lift to make it shift sooner.
If you think I'm wrong take your vehicle out and keep the gas pinned to the floor from 0 to 120 km/h.

Depends on if the ECU is tuned for fuel economy or performance. ECUs tuned for fuel economy will downshift as soon as possible, and my Elantra does this unless I throw the shifter into manual mode at which point it will redline and then force a downshift if I don't do it myself. The XG350 I had before loved to ref up before downshifting, and I actually would throw that car into manual mode for the opposite reason so that it didn't rev so high. Different cars, different shift characteristics.

To claim all automatics do this is a misnomer. Prior to 2008 they might have, but a *lot* has changed since then, just like I'm sure a lot has changed with standard transmission cars since my father's Firefly.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

Warning: peterboro's back in the day post ahead.

said by Gone:

To claim all automatics do this is a misnomer. Prior to 2008 they might have, but a *lot* has changed since then, just like I'm sure a lot has changed with standard transmission cars since my father's Firefly.

And back in the day prior to ECUs there was a mechanical rod from the throttle to the trans and then vacuum modulators came along.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 recommendation

reply to Gone

Re: Gasoline Prices Below 99 Cents/Litre By Christmas

said by Gone:

downshift as soon as possible

Please stop saying downshift when you mean upshift. Transmissions go up a gear to lower RPM on the engine.
--
Tom

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Right. I knew that, haha.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON

I know. I just didn't want people to view your arguments in a bad light because you were using the wrong term by accident. lol
--
Tom

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

I meant to hop on the QEW and floor the Elantra on my way back from the store about an hour ago but with the fog rolling in this evening and the need to correct some issues with my Christmas light display (yes, my wife calls me Clark Griswold, haha) I decided to just head straight home instead. The Elantra has a redline at 6750 RPM. I know it doesn't come close to that when flooring it before upshifting, I just can't say for certain what the exact shift points are. I keep Eco mode enabled, which I am sure plays a part in how and when it shifts.