share rss forum feed

xymox1
Premium
join:2008-05-20
Phoenix, AZ
reply to xymox1

Re: Upgrade from dpc3000 to dpc3010 and slower upstream speeds

quote:
Well it's possible the rep you will talk to when having the modem provisioned, won't have access to upgrade the firmware to the latest one cox is using. However if the firmware on the modem, doesn't match what cox is using for that modem in your local cox area. Between 2-4am most days cox runs a modem check, which will push a firmware update to modem's running firmwares, that are not current with the system.
Interesting. I will check on this. How do I find out what current firmware versions are for cox on my modem ?

xymox1
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
I did LOTS of testing over the weekend on the DPC3000. It does a rock solid 5.5 Mb/s up on all sorts of tests.. Over and over again. Never anything short of 5.5Mb/s

I just switched back to the orginal DPC3010 to revisit it and do some tests..

EVERY TIME I test I get 4.3-4.5. NEVER anything over 4.5. I tested using very large file transfers and speedtest.net and everything was in agreement. The DPC3000 was clearly faster upload.

Upload is very important. Its not so much overall speed but latency and jitter that count. However the speed difference is showing something is wrong.

Im running multiping using 10 pings a second to the cox gateway now. Its appearing that there might be a tiny decrease and maybe less jitter using the DPC3010. I will have to chart overnite and then compare with my charts for the DPC3000. I will post charts here in the next few days.

I get my new dpc3010 tomorrow. I wanted to get a good baseline set of measurements on this one first.

As far as firmware revisions.. I am also going to see if it updates firmware overnite.

Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R1
Current Software Revision: dpc3010-v302r12901-091119a
Firmware Name: dpc3010-v302r12901-091119a.bin
Firmware Build Time: Nov 19 2009 22:12:51

My signals

Channel 1: 7.8 dBmv 41.1 dBmv
Channel 2: 7.6 dBmv 41.0 dBmv
Channel 3: 7.5 dBmv 40.0 dBmv
Channel 4: 8.1 dBmv 39.9 dBmv
Channel 5: 8.0 dBmv 39.7 dBmv
Channel 6: 7.2 dBmv 38.6 dBmv
Channel 7: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dBmv
Channel 8: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dBmv

Channel 1: 42.0 dBmv
Channel 2: 42.0 dBmv
Channel 3: 42.0 dBmv
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmv

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Well I can tell you, you have a old firmware, and should update over night. As you see that firmware is a 2009 build, and I am pretty sure cox has a 2011/2012 firmware that should be pushed to your modem over night. I suggest doing more testing after the firmware is updated, and if it doesn't update overnight. I am sure you can PM CoxTech1 See Profile or odog See Profile with the modem's mac address, and they will get you on the latest firmware cox is using for that modem.

xymox1
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to xymox1
Yes, I saw most people here in phx has 2011 firmware..

VERY interesting tho. I am now very sure im getting 3.8 Mb/s up. Ive tested using a number of different methods and they are coming up 3.8-4.1,, The same tests constantally returned 5.5 with the DPC3000..

However i can also show clearly a 1ms drop in latency. About the same jitter. However 1ms is alot in this case. DPC3000 = avg 7.5 DPC3010 = avg 6.5..

But 4mb/s VS 5.5Mb/s is alot.. Im sure broadcom and texas instruments have different stratigies in managing cap rates. One might have lower latency but lower speeds and one might have higher latency and higher speeds..

But YES, I will await a modem firmware upgrade.. I will PM a cox rep to be sure..

xymox1
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to xymox1
Yes I have had some very good responses to issues long ago by posting here and working with CoxTech1. I have PM'ed him and DPC3010 awaits a upgrade..

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
said by xymox1:

Yes I have had some very good responses to issues long ago by posting here and working with CoxTech1. I have PM'ed him and DPC3010 awaits a upgrade..

I really don't think another Cisco DPC3010 is gonna matter. But the modem running a old firmware, can cause a negative effect like the problem your seeing. So the key here will be getting that modem on the latest firmware, then doing some testing again. between 2-4am most nights cox runs a modem check, and updates the firmware on modem's not running correct firmware. So as long as you leave the modem online over night, in the morning it should be updated.

I will say I own a Cisco DPC3010 myself, and hated the very vanilla modem status page, and no access to modem log for troubleshooting. So I currently use a Motorola SB6180, as the modem side of things show a lot more info. My first D3 modem was a Motorola SB6120(still own), and I have also used Zoom 5341/5341J, Cisco DPQ3212(phone/internet modem), and Cisco DPC3010. So I have used a lot of D3 modem's, and Motorola is the one I like as I have more access to modem info when there is a problem. As the Cisco modem's are locked down once online, and very restricted with info.

xymox1
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to xymox1
CoxVegas took care of my firmware update very quickly. I have always been impressed with the speed and competence showed by the Cox reps who man these pages.

I need to do full tests but the firmware upgrade to my orginal DPC3010 seems to have fixed the issue. So all my complaining might have been for naught. Well, finding the slightly lower latency thru the DPC3010 is important and finding virtually no difference in performance using DOCSIS 6x3 vs 4x3 with my current speeds in phoenix is important. The modems are almost identical in the 65M/s ultimate tier.

( in case you wonder, the San Jose - Smug Mug server is the fastest and most repeatable test from my location in phx )

I will do more testing once my second one arrives later today. Im still going to use that one as it came right from someone who got me a recent production unit manufactured not long ago.

I will also be getting the SB6180 and will do testing with that one as well.

Im going to really test these to determine if there is any difference in real performance. Im also going to look them over from a engineering standpoint as my real life job is a electrical engineer.

One of the things thats a issue for both the DPC3000 and 3010 is heat. While the build quality is quite good bot the processor chip and the radio get overly hot. Using a good temp probe and measuring the chip on both they both sit right at the very top edge of thier thermal range. This is bad. I modded my 3000 with a small fan long ago. The 3010 seems to radiate even more thermal energy but I have not tested yet. It will be interesting to see the Motorola design and see how it handles the intense processing requirements thermally.

I wonder what change in firmware caused the upload speed to be better ? Too bad there are no public version notes..

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Trust me there are many changes from the 2009 build you had on it to the 2012(?) build that was pushed to the modem. I mean just think of it like a router, one firmware can fix, or break many things. The reason ISP's handle the testing of firmwares for modem's on there network, and why it takes a while for new firmwares to be released. No firmware is perfect, as there is always some kind of bugs, you just hope they are minor one's that you can work around.

Also thinking about it, when I first started using my Cisco DPC3010. Which now is a backup, and collects dust. I had problem's with upload speed being rather low, and once cox pushed a newer firmware thing's were better. Which to me seemed like the CMTS, and modem worked together better after the newer firmware. I simply don't use the DPC3010 any more, because as I said before. I enjoy having access to more modem info, and the D3 motorola modem's provide that for troubleshooting.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to xymox1
current firmware is may 16 2011. your firmware is old.
--
Despises any post with strings.

xymox1
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
Yes, as is covered in the thread many posts ago my firmware was old. Important to read the whole thread before posting. In fact there is a *** UPDARE *** i put on the very first post that says that.

floridaguy

@cox.net
At first, I was like this guys a little crazy. But, then I realized he's just my kind of crazy. Awesome thread. Xymox1, if you ever get into router modding, would be an insanely interesting thread. Only thing I wish you would have done differently was figure out a more aesthetically pleasing design scheme for your frankenmodem fan mod.

Btw, xymox1, how often are you calling in to get your account's MAC switched?